The Water Hole – Term 1

gbno1fan

Emperor

This thread is for any off topic discussion our team may have. Feel free to talk about whatever you want in this thread, provided it stays within the CivFanatics Forum guidelines.

since this is an any topic thread can anyone tell me what im doing wrong i played 2 games (1 with Japan, 1 with India) on Prince and i keep getting screwed over... is it just bad luck?

the first game with Japan i got basically trapped by egypt and couldn't expand anywhere, no wars but im way behind in tech and what not

the second game was going GREAT! but then mongolia declared war on me and took one of my cities (not a very important one) i held out after he battered the crap out of me with much more than i thought he had and just when i was gonna go on the offensive the aztecs declared war on me (and mind you both of these declarations were not my fault!) i had to play defensive for about 20 turns i think and the aztecs are second in scores (to egypt!) it will be permenant war unless i can get out of this

please PLEASE take a look at these saves

oh and why does the pic for this thread say office of Humanities?

oh and why does the pic for this thread say office of Humanities?

Because it is sponsored by the Office of the Humanities. :D

As for your game questions, I can't answer them, as I don't own Civ4 myself. :(

Some quick thoughts Kentharu for the India save,

-You should get Tokugawa into the war, you can get him to attack Kubli and cease trading with Monte for 3 techs, a steep price I guess, but compared to having a total dog pile it is worth it and it will lesen the amount of troops that you will have to deal with.

-You are Gandhi, who is religious, which means that you can change civics at the drop of a dime, so you should use this and change to war time civics.

-You had a stack outside Madreas, you should suicide a catapult and then kill the units there.

I hope that helps on the at least short term! :)

thanks mate, i was able to get the aztecs off my back and japan in the war with me (aztecs later declared war on mongolia with egypt fighting them to!) and i was able to get 2 cities 1 of thiers and my banglore back (only cause i immediately got a peace treated when it was captured) so thanks agian lost

I'm tired of checking this forum and not seeing any posts... just the calm before the storm, I suppose.

So how many of us actively play cIV, and at what level of difficulty?

Dont' be shy, we all were Chieftains at some point, and I for one really like thrashing my neighbors in a quick game on Chieftain sometimes... Like when I get home after staying out too late, and I feel like giving myself 4 tanks to start the game ;)

Of course, I don't have cIV, but I do have civ3 (but not conquests - I have an 8 year old iMac!) and I now play on Emperor, thanks to all I've learned since joining MIA.

Yeah me too I check like 5 times day and nothing new...i mean gee if they at least gazem me a screen shot to ponder :confused:

As for my level of difficulty, in [civ4] I have beaten them all on reasonable settings, but I prefer whatever the GOTM disehs out as that is what I focus on.

However that being said, for my game type (fast domination) I prefer Monarch Difficulty with any other options selected. My reason for this being that on Emporer you start with tech at 80% and that bums me out :mischief:

I, too, check this forum often during the day and find NO posts! I feel like the forum is dead and the game hasn't even started! I'm glad to see that the water hole may be finally getting some conversation started.

I have learned a lot from the Civ3 MTDG. When I started, I was in the process of determining my difficulty level. I would play a game on one difficulty, and if I dominated too easily, I would quit and move up a level. I got to monarch and had some trouble. The modifications in favor of the AI threw me off a little, but now I seem to have mastered it. After I finish the game I'm playing currently, and maybe finish another one, I plan on moving to Emperor.

No matter how much fun Chieftain can be, and I agree it is a great way to relieve stress from a long day, this game is so much better when you reach a difficulty level that is actually challenging. I was thinking about it yesterday, and the thing that sets this game apart from real-time strategies like Age of Empires, is that when you reach a challenging difficulty it is a challenge not because it is difficult to click the mouse as fast as the computer can go, but because you have to actually think more about what you're doing. You have to strategize, and that is what it is all about.

I agree with you, Gb, that the brilliance of civ is the 'stop and go' nature of it. I got pretty into CaesarIII for a while, and it was just too hectic. I couldn't really plan things out too far because there were constantly things to respond to.

Of course, I suppose the pace is precisely why some people prefer the real-time games. Not me, though.

Another game I was about ot get into (but my friend and I moved away from eachother) was Axis and Allies. Anyone know if there's a computer version or online version?

I'm sure there has to be an Axis and Allies computer game somewhere. Try googling.

I am a big fan of Caesar III myself, though after a while I have to put it back on the shelf for a year - it doesn't keep my attention very long.

I'm also a big fan of Diplomacy. What a great game to play with friends. Anyone else played it before?

Well then I guess I can explain the game...

Diplomacy is set in World War I, and there are 7 playable countries: England, France, Germany, Russia, Austria-Hungary, Turkey, and Italy. Each starts with 1 naval unit and 2 army units (except for Russia, who has 2 naval and 2 army units, to compensate for its size, and England, which has 2 naval units and 1 army unit to compensate for it being an island). Then you try and take over the world (like all great games).

Each turn, you all write down your orders for your units, and place them in a hat to be read all at once (turns are done at the same time, not one at a time). You often have to work together with other players to gain support for attacks. Each player also has "supply centers", which must be controlled to maintain your units. When you gain more supply centers, you gain more units.

Example: England wants to move into a territory, they say "Army-Territory A TO Territory B". If there is another unit already in Territory B, the move fails. Unless England (or another player) says "Army-Territory C SUPPORTS Army-Territory A TO Territory B". Then, since there is 1 army with support from another army, the army from Territory A is able to move to Territory B.

Basically, it is a game that forces you to work with other players, but also creates an atmosphere for telling one person you're going to do one thing, to gain their support, while also stabbing them in the back on the same turn. :)

Oh man! Axis & Allies and Diplomacy! I love those games!

(Good to see conversation on here again!)

I know they made a computer version of Axis and Allies – but I don't think it had any multi-player ability beyond hotseat. Friend of mine had it, but I really preferred the board game version and never bought a copy myself. (I actually own 3 expansions for Axis & Allies! :lol: but most of my friends that played it with me have moved away :( )

Peter – if you've never tried Diplomacy, you should really find a copy somewhere. It's a great game. No dice, no RNG, just strategy. It's more like Chess that way. Biggest problem is finding someone who will play with you!
(They say JFK used to play it in the Whitehouse!)

I tried to get a game going with some college buddies of mine via e-mail… but that was after we all graduated, and RL just slowly choked the game to death.

About Diplomacy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_(game)

Axis & Allies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_and_Allies

P.S. Apparently they've made a Turn based and RTS version of the game for the PC?? But I don't know anything about either one.

There is more than one diplomacy player on this team...hmm...

Maybe we can get a Diplomacy email game going within the team.

I'd be willing to process the moves and post the map. Let me know if there is an interest.

:wow: I'd totally do that if we could get enough players. It's been at least 3 years since I last played!

I'll start a thread for it here in Epsilon. We need something to keep us interested.

If we fall short on players, this may be a way to get a couple more friends to play. We can convince them to join the forum and Epsilon to play a game of Diplomacy, and then they'll likely de-lurk from the rest of the team activities. ;)

DIPLOOOOMMMMAAACCCYYYYYY HOLY @%@#$@#$@$@$ I LOVE YOU GUYS *cries rather drunkily* i really do email game of diplomacy yoooouuuu guuys!! *falls over* ARE THE BEST!! :suicide:

The original Axis & Allies PC game was a lot of fun, but was DOS based. I've tried running it on an older computer but everything happens so fast that its hard to tell what's going on.

Within the past year a RTS version of Axis & Allies has come out, that IMO sucks. Anyone who has played the board game version will probably not like the RTS version. My copy sits in a drawer gathering dust.

I wish they'd come out with another turn based version for the PC.

Karl Townsend said:
i like the fourm game ill start 1 now

lol i got warned form a topic spam which was the game so lol bad idea DONT TRY IT
:wow: Team Loco actually punishes people for trying to build team unity?!?!

Read about it here.

Top Bottom