There appears to be a bug in the game that makes unit production much faster than it should be.

Xaviarlol

Warlord
There appears to be a bug or something else causing unit production to break the rules. Take a look at this screenshot:
http://imgur.com/a/fSd0v

In this screenshot, gamespeed is at standard, and I DO NOT have any Unit production policies in effect. I am also NOT receiving city state bonuses that effect unit production.

It says that a catapult costs 120 production, and my city production is 11.5 per turn. Therefore it should take just over 10 turns to complete, yet it ca build in 6 turns.

Interestingly the settler also costs 120 production and takes 11 turns to complete, which is correct. Same goes for buildings, all are working correct.

So why are military units breaking the production rule?

Last edited:
Someone else did mention this before, but people were chalking it to policies etc. If there is a bug like this, I hope they won't 'fix' it... If anything, they should apply the same effect to all other things. ;)

Check your city state bonuses... you probably have some envoys at a militaristic city state.

I had the same issue with buildings and units, multiple times and in both directions. The turn value in the city production list and the turn value when actually building it are sometimes different.

Check your city state bonuses... you probably have some envoys at a militaristic city state.

Already checked this - not getting any bonuses from city states.

I had the same issue with buildings and units, multiple times and in both directions. The turn value in the city production list and the turn value when actually building it are sometimes different.
There is a display bug that causes this and you can fix it by refreshing the citizen portrait. Unfortunately this wasn't the issue.

I just noticed something very interesting - it appears that this phenomenon is related to Eras. For example a state of the art crossbowman is not affected by this bug and is requiring the full production, whereas the earlier swordsman unit is getting the invisible production boost.

Fascinating. Could be some intentional mechanism for outdated units.

I've observed two things that can effect this.
1) If you don't lock every individual citizen in place, the game can move them between when you click "next turn" and when the yields are applied. I haven't paid enough attention to this movement to see if it's recalculating in your favor, or simply derping around.
2) Earlier era units have some sort of production bonus applied to them. I can't seem to pin down the actual bonus from testing in-game, but it is significant. Greater than 100% for my current game in Medieval when building Horseman. I have met no military city states, do not have an encampment (ruling out hidden production bonus from Stables), had no carry-over production (spent a turn dumping it into a District), and my policies and government provide no bonuses. 13.2 production in provided 36 production worth of progress. 15.4 production in provided 42 production worth of progress. In both instances, this works out to a 2 8/11 multiplier. Precisely. Which is suspect, IMO.

In short, this is going to require a lot of data points to be certain. We are likely better off waiting for mod tools / source.

If the 2 8/11 multiplier holds up, my first question is WHY that number. Also, we run into a serious economic issue that leads to unfun. One cog can be converted to ~5.4 gold by making and selling older units. Probably more by stacking policies. It costs 4 gold per cog to buy buildings and units. You are always better off churning out mass quantities of cheap old units, selling them, and buying the latest and greatest. I'm going to go test this right now (self promotion: look me up on YouTube for the livestream).

After poking at it further, I think the bonus might be tied to your current number of techs / civics, the same way the cost of districts goes up. I beelined Horseback Riding and there was no bonus to Warriors or Slingers. Once I got a few more techs researched (6, including Bronze Working), I was able to get about 1.47 cogs out per cog in.

EDIT:
New city. 1 Production. 23 turns for a 50 Production archer. Yep, something's broken with the economy. 14 techs researched, early Classical.
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Yep this is a bug I think, it's on the bug reports list here http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/different-build-speeds-in-same-city.601204. Only seems to be for Ancient/Classical military units, after a certain point it's like a steroid-enhanced God of the Forge gets applied for the rest of the game.

As I mention in the thread it currently means that you actively do not want to research the dead-end Military Tactics technology, as Pikemen currently take 6 times as long to build as Spearmen which cannot be right.

Any work on whats causing this bug?

Has there been any update to this??

Pretty sure there was a mod released to fix this, it's related to the God of the Forge pantheon applying to everyone (multiple times?) when selected rather than just the Civ that selects it. For whatever reason I can't find the mod now though. Have to wait until I get back to my computer to double check it.

Edit: Google is my friend. But apparently this may have already been fixed by the latest patch going by the last comments in that thread.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there was a mod released to fix this, it's related to the God of the Forge pantheon applying to everyone (multiple times?) when selected rather than just the Civ that selects it. For whatever reason I can't find the mod now though. Have to wait until I get back to my computer to double check it.

Edit: Google is my friend. But apparently this may have already been fixed by the latest patch going by the last comments in that thread.

Horem said it was fixed (I presume from the patch).. That's good enough for me :)

Top Bottom