There's always something new

Osvaldo Manso

Warlord
Hi! I find amazing how this game still suprises me and I've been playing the original Sid Meier's Civilization since late 1992.

It all started when I demanded tribute to the Indians. The Indians are my neighbours. They occupy a continent north of my own. Both continents are separated by a very short distance (I can reach "India" using Triremes). For a long time, we lived in peace and even though their cities are not huge or very far, I decided to establish trade routes linking my cities to theirs. I also established an Embassy and so I am aware that the Indians own a reasonable amount of funds.

When they invaded my own continent while we were still at peace, I considered it a very rude thing to do. So, when we met they offered to remain at peace and I naturally demanded tribute for my patience. They did not accept that and instead they declared war on me.

I immediately came up with a plan to quickly win that war - I decided to use a Diplomat to capture a small (thus cheaper) Indian city on their own continent. That's what I successfully did. It was not a big investment because I found some money and the city was equipped with a Granary wich I promptly sold in order to recover some of my investment. It all went as planned - after Calcutta was in my hands, the Indians surrendered and we were once more at peace.

There were no trade routes in Calcutta. In the following turns, I did not have the opportunity to establish trade routes with the neighbouring Indian cities like I did for my mainland cities. In fact, I had more pressing matters, like preparing an adequate defence system (at least a Phalanx, a Catapult and a Diplomat) for Calcutta.

Now, the awkward thing is that a few turns later, when I checked the city window, there was a trade route between Calcutta and a German city. I did not have any contact with the Germans... and I did not receive any message informing that a trade route has been established.

So, what is happening here? Here's what I think: although Calcutta was captured by me, for the purpose of establishing trade routes the game is still considering Calcutta as an Indian city. So, it established a trade route and the caravan money bonus was awarded to the Indians but the trade arrows generated every turn are my benefit.

What do you think? Any thoughts on this?

just a random thought.
was it that your first check for trade routes was while the city was in civil disorder and the second check after things settle ?

i wonder if the trade routes disapear while a city is in civil disorder. after all, when that happens all trade and production is supposed to cease

The thing is trade routes do show up when a city is in disorder. It's either a case of you not noticing the trade route when you first captured the town, or something very weird is going on indeed.

The thing is trade routes do show up when a city is in disorder. It's either a case of you not noticing the trade route when you first captured the town, or something very weird is going on indeed.

I'm pretty sure there was no trade route when I captured Calcutta.
I don't know if it is some kind of bug... if it helps, I'm playing version 474.03.

Top Bottom