1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

These Fractured States of America - Development Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by OzzyKP, Aug 11, 2007.

1. deanej

deanej Deity

2. davidlallen

davidlallen Deity

Ignoring more things can be easily done with the add_prefix command in the config file. There are a lot of things I don't understand about the relationships between symbols and keys in the XML, so I have just slapped on more add_prefix when I wanted to reduce the "noise". Locally I use "add_prefix PROJECT_SS".

3. The Navy Seal

The Navy Seal Emperor

I use sendspace.com!

4. 7StarGeneral

7StarGeneral Chieftain

I think the initial crash is from the missing art. I can't fix that, i would if i could. If you can get that in, maybe it wouldn't crash on initialization. However, i can help with the bugs in the units that make it crash. problem is, your download didn't come with the whole Mod. :cry:
    Also the map doesn't seem to come with it either :mischief:

5. deanej

deanej Deity

I don't think it's the missing art that causes that crash, but the missing art defines. Quite a few resources have an art define specified that doesn't exist in the mod. The Firaxis mods only add to the art defines and remove nothing, even if the define is never used by the mod. That might be a good practice to use when modding those files.

6. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Thank you so much for the help!

I added in the no espionage option and it took care of the initial crash. Then I played around with civchecker. What a fantastic program! My prayers have been answered! It makes this whole thing much eaiser. I took care of all the undefinedsymbols except for the spaceship ones.

The mod loaded up fine and I ran a test. I made it through like 190 turns before it crashed. A big improvement over the last version, but... I have no idea what is causing this crash now. There are a million of the unused symbols and I don't want to have to fix them all. It'd take forever. Any ideas?

7. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Ok, most of those unused symbol errors are in regular BTS. My mod adds like 200 to the existing 2,000. Tracking them down and determining which (if any) are the cause of the crash is going to be difficult.

Any ideas?

8. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

9. The Navy Seal

The Navy Seal Emperor

Send me the files I'll check it out!

10. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

11. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Went thru some of your mod, first thing i noticed was the flags, they all need to be refitted. Some of the TXT file are still capitalized. Some of the sounds are not there, like Slavery and when a tech is founded. I only tried this for like 20 turns. Techs need to be stretched out a little more time frame wise. Alot of people like that kind of writing/font but i find it annoying except for space mods.
    A good start, but you have a long way to go. It just weird for me to start other than ancient is all, its just me. If you need anything else let me know, i am always glad to help. (Well most of the time, LOL).

12. The Navy Seal

The Navy Seal Emperor

Ok I'll take a look at that for ya (when I install the new patch)!

13. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Ok, I'll take a look at the flags. I'm not sure what you mean about the TXT, most of the civilopedia stuff haven't been done yet. As for the sounds... I haven't had the sound turned on in the game since the first month I got Civ4 Vanilla, so I hadn't noticed. But I figured that was a finishing touch that can wait till the end.

As for the tech, I've currently got Ante-Bellum, Civil War, and Gilded Age. I still intend to add the Progressive age with plenty of techs there, but I want to get this part finished first. So you think there isn't enough tech? I was worried we might have too much for the time frame. It doesn't go horizontal as far as other games, but if you scroll down there are quite a lot of techs so far.

The font is another thing that isn't working right. I installed a custom old west font that isn't working for some reason. It is displaying this one instead of the font I have it set for. I don't know why.

Thanks for the suggestions!

14. Lean

Lean Prince

A quick question. I downloaded the mod, and only skimed through the pages of reviews, so I'm not quite sure if this was mentioned already. It probibly was, but I need to ask, for I am too lazy to read the pages. Is there a map for this? I can't seem to find one when I check the senario section after I load your mod. I love the concept, along with Alternate History (I'm readingHarry Turtledove's Southern Victory timeline now) and really want to try this out.

15. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Yea, there is a map, I've misplaced it at the moment, heh. But like everything else with the mod it is a work in progress. I did make some good progress with it, most cities are placed and their sizes are set according to census data from 1850. Buildings, improvements, and such haven't been placed yet. I'll work on finishing that up for the next release.

I think the map is excellent however.

16. Lean

Lean Prince

I figured that, and will wait impatiently for the next release. :)

17. fannarh

fannarh Chieftain

"Load Error"
    "GFC Error: Failed to initialize the primary control theme"

this is what I get every time I try to load the mod.

18. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Ah crap, I thought that was fixed. Does anyone else have that problem?

Edit: Are you sure you have version .11? I just played it and I got it loaded just fine. It did crash on turn 94 though, but no GFC error.

19. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

You get GFC errors, when the mod includes a custom 'Resource' folder, and the mod folder isn't named as mentioned in Civ4.thm and some other interface XML file I can't think of at the moment.

20. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Yea, I know. That was the issue with version .10. But I fixed it and reuploaded version .11 which should (at least for me) work. So... did I upload the wrong version? Is fannarh using an outdated version?