They have posted system reqirements on apolyads.

Ashlord said:
:aargh: :wallbash: :gripe: [pissed] :thumbdown This just plain sucks!! :cry: I guess that some of us will be playing CIV III for awhile longer and :drool: while reading about the game here. I read somewhere else that it MAY be possible to run on ME but not looking good. The cheapest I have found win XP anywhere is $122. Good thing I held off pre-ordering.

Newegg.com has xp home w/sp2 for $92

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

or w/sp 1 for $89

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102141

Go with SP2 though... you can get SP1 and then update for free to SP2 but by the time you do you'll be infected with viruses. Unless you can download the SP2 update and save it to CD then you can get SP1 and do the SP2 upgrade from the CD without having to go online to windows update.

oda: maybe your card is something in the 7000 series, but not the 7000?

How can you tell how many MB your graphics card is? I know I have direct X 8, but I am not sure if the graphics card is 128. I do know it is atleast 64MB.

Grizpin said:
Newegg.com has xp home w/sp2 for $92

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

or w/sp 1 for $89

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102141

Go with SP2 though... you can get SP1 and then update for free to SP2 but by the time you do you'll be infected with viruses. Unless you can download the SP2 update and save it to CD then you can get SP1 and do the SP2 upgrade from the CD without having to go online to windows update.

Umm, you won't get viruses just going to the windows update site :)

But since the difference is merely $3, sure go for the one w/ SP2 for the convenience. Otherwise don't be scared to get the SP1 and upgrade it to SP2 using Window's automatic update whenever you have the time. I've never even upgraded my desktop to SP1 and I'm not infected with viruses, and I surf all kinds of sites. Then again I use Firefox browser, don't use outlook, and never accept certificates from unrustworthy sites :)

vorius said:
Umm, you won't get viruses just going to the windows update site :)

But since the difference is merely $3, sure go for the one w/ SP2 for the convenience. Otherwise don't be scared to get the SP1 and upgrade it to SP2 using Window's automatic update whenever you have the time. I've never even upgraded my desktop to SP1 and I'm not infected with viruses, and I surf all kinds of sites. Then again I use Firefox browser, don't use outlook, and never accept certificates from unrustworthy sites :)

I have ... it may have been SP1 and not SP1a though... I was just referring a known stable product. I don't want to be blamed for infecting someone's PC in the off chance it does happen ;)

Click start, run, type 'dxdiag', click ok. The information that comes up will have alot of what you're looking for.

*sigh* I guess I knew in my heart it was time for a new rig. I've had the current hardware since... well, since Civ III came out and the comp I had before wouldn't run it. I guess it's replacement time when you can't properly play even a turn-based strategy game.

VISA is going to love this :sad:

I'm bad with this stuff I got a 1.8ghz Celeron *gags*. Does that mean no civ for me? :/ My specs for everything else there is far superior except for the celeron.

Lucky The Fox said:
Yes, go with SP2 if you don't want to play any old games online.

Guess you have to make a choice then don't you? Or you could set up a dual boot system :p

Chris1111 said:
I'm bad with this stuff I got a 1.8ghz Celeron *gags*. Does that mean no civ for me? :/ My specs for everything else there is far superior except for the celeron.

It'll run. Just not as well as on an Athlon.

Nobody said:
How important are the recomended systems requirements. I have got the minimum but not quite the recomended. i have 480 Ram which isnt 512, and i have 1.5 Gh while it is recomended 1.8 and minimum 1.2 ?????

You will run Civ IV fine, just tone down the settings and don't expect it to play great - but you will be fine, don't worry.

run Dxdiag.. It tell you how much video memory, etc..

Monado said:
How can you tell how many MB your graphics card is? I know I have direct X 8, but I am not sure if the graphics card is 128. I do know it is atleast 64MB.

my own video setting show Sis730s. And I read somewhere said it use the shared memory, etc.. Anyone know about this card, and will it have problem with the civ4?

:(
Well, I was hoping that, despite my 1 Ghz processor and 32 MB video card, maybe, just maybe, I'd be able to play Civ IV on my Windows computer. Then they have to go and make it on DVDs. And only for Windows XP or 2000. *sigh* Well, I guess it's back to Civ III until they port it to the Mac (and they'd better!)...

toh6wy said:
:(
Well, I was hoping that, despite my 1 Ghz processor and 32 MB video card, maybe, just maybe, I'd be able to play Civ IV on my Windows computer. Then they have to go and make it on DVDs. And only for Windows XP or 2000. *sigh* Well, I guess it's back to Civ III until they port it to the Mac (and they'd better!)...

Actually most of the time the installer will prevent you from even installing the game if you dont meet the requirements.

Well thats good news.

I wasn't sure if I would pick up 4 or not.

With those requirements,it will NOT run on my comp.

Thnx Firaxis,you just saved me some money and lots of headaches I'm sure.

Top Bottom