1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Things in this game that annoy you to no end

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by BARBEERIAN, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Titus

Titus Armchair Great Person

I just got a dumb quest: Build 11 triremes. Apparently, you can't upgrade them to caravels, or they don't count. It was very annoying, having to build crappy triremes when I was in a massive sea war with Montezuma, and I couldn't actually use them to fight because the large risk of losing. :rolleyes:

2. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Warlord

I ignore most quests in all honesty.

3. BalbanesBeoulve

BalbanesBeoulve Emperor

If you have the great lighthouse it's very worth it. 2 per harbor is nice.

4. sanarchy

sanarchy Chieftain

That's hilarious!

As far as annoyances are concerned i agree with a lot of posts that it's the unfair treatment the player gets from the AI's.
    Some AI is clearly winning and everyone is just happy with the dude, no-one is gonna join me in the attack, just because he'll give them some outdated techs or some beads and shells.
    I declare war on the other cowardly guy instead, cause i can take him on alone, a few years into the war he'll just become a vassal of the most powerfull dude, so much for that plan.

But, then again, it's just a freaking game, it'll be always biased. On the highest levels AI's produce everything at half the cost, they get large bonusses with everyting. But they're still just dumb as paint.

So, civ V should have real AI, with neural networks, evolutionary algoritms, all that stuff so it'll learn from it's defeats. Like a chess-computer that beats kasparov. THAT would be fun.

And then you're going to be annoyed because it's smarter than you are. Smack your computer around, feel stupid and start getting involved in the real world, just to prove you're no idiot.

:crazyeye:

5. Titus

Another thing, which I don't recall from Warlords, is AI's asking me to trade away my last resource, or trading me resources I already have! As if I'm not harrassed enough! :rolleyes:

6. Stuck in Pi

Stuck in Pi 3.14159265358979323846...

because of corporations.

7. Titus

Yeah, the reward was pretty neat. I was just upset that I had to build 11 triremes without being able to upgrade them, when my naval supremacy depended on building caravels against HIS triremes (which were also approaching 11). I want to complete the quests at least once, to find out what the reward is.

8. Titus

Yet another thing: That AI's are too willing to accept vassals instead of just wiping out weak opponents when they have the chance. They even do this when I am 100% sure the weak AI has nothing to offer the stronger AI except surrender. No money, no techs, nothing.

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

You should def. be hired by Firaxis as "Grammar Nazi" to work on Civ V ;)

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Some of them are worth it.

I just finished a Corporate one that increased my gold income by 30 a turn.

11. White Elk

White Elk 99 > 1

By far my 2 biggest annoyances are the MAF error and the slow pace of the patches. Other annoyances include spies and espionage. The increased micro-management of BTS. Dumb AI behaivor as relates to warring, corporations, improvements, and more. Thats just a few off the top of my head.

12. GatlingGun

GatlingGun Warlord

I completely agree about the 'random' events... I'm a programmer, and just about anybody could rationalize these as being random, but I think the coincidences are far too predictable. Sometimes the REs benefit you, but more often you get punished just enough to keep the AIs competitive with you.

My theory is that Firaxis knows games have to be challenging to be fun... so the default condition is to punish the human for doing well in a seemingly innocent fashion... random events, barbarians magically appearing when you found too many early religions, etc...

I've gotten so annoyed at the random events that I refuse to start a game with them now... it seems just another excuse for the AI to cheat... even on Noble :rolleyes:

My other peeve is how the map routines start you in such a way that you rarely have sufficient room for expansion beyond 4 or 5 cities... but at least one AI has free reign for almost manifest-destiny on the continent. You always have to go to war for land, and one AI gets it completely unchallenged. Not to mention the deserts / chronic lack of food resources that so-predictably occur near your home city as a Financial leader.

13. GatlingGun

GatlingGun Warlord

Yeah, that drives me crazy too... actually I think we should be offered more than a frustratingly-binary decision to join them in the war or piss them off by declining... they should give you the option to negotiate for techs or money... that would make sense and seems to be an easy thing to insert into the game. It would add much more balance too... since I invariably have to bribe my Friendly allies...

14. ThorRex

ThorRex Chieftain

I hate it when new civilizations spawn in the middle game and immediately become some AI's vassal. They don't seem to want to become my vassal.

Also, why does my vassal not support my diplomatic victory? Haven't they sworn allegiance to me?

Should I just be unhappy about these issues or is there some logic here that escapes me?

15. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

When new civilizations 'spawn', then some AI has created a colony. This civ is supposed to be the founders vassal.

16. Merkill

Merkill Chieftain

The insane tech trading .
    Im fed up with having to check every civ each turn to see if i should trade.

In the end i just turned tech trading off and bliss&happiness for all came.

17. LordMachiavelli

LordMachiavelli Chieftain

Moving my stack of 20 workers 4 turns away to go mine that coal resource that just popped up, while leaving the city they left from still starving... all because I forgot to ungroup my workers.

LM

18. Thrasybulus

Thrasybulus Chieftain

I agree that tech trading is poorly implemented - I play on Monarch and put on Aggressive AI and Hemispheres with High Sea level in the hope that some civs will not have contact to trade for a while, and Ramesses' destroyers still show up on my shores in 1712. Wtf!

I think that tech trading is too important a part of the game to just turn off, but it needs fixing. I'll probably have to drop from large maps to normal or small. Wonder if that will help?

19. TheGreatSteve

TheGreatSteve Warlord

-The better my capitol's BFC, the worse the overall start. I dread the day I start with Stone, Gold, Cows and Corn and find myself boxed in by Monty, Genghis, Napoleon, and Shaka

-AI's not looking at a situation enough outside of the power graph. Yes, you're in the Middle Ages and my cities are defended by archers, but by the time your first wave reaches me they'll be longbows, and your second wave will be met halfway there by muskets.

-No matter the map settings, I'm going to find myself close to every warmonger in that game, along with one other peaceful type whos only role in the game is to make sure the psychos are kept up to date. On the other side of the world the peaceniks will have a tea party as they celebrate their freedom to tech and pick up all the Wonders.

-The ineffectiveness of high culture against moderate at any real distance. The Civ-equivalent of Boise holding off a city that is like Rome, Paris, and New York combined.

-AI's being unwilling to war amongst themselves, and being bad at it when they do.

-AI's not making a concerted effort against superpowers. Yeah, nobody wants to be the first to declare war on him, and agreeing to help the latest victim may seem like volunteering to be the next victim, but eventually they really should realize appeasement isn't going to work.

-Increased difficulty makes the AI stronger but not much smarter.

20. digitCruncher

digitCruncher Emperor

A few things that annoy me:

#1: Insane REXing on the AI's behalf

#2: I am SURE there is a HUGE :hammers: bonus for the AI in war-time, as Monty just kept spamming wave after wave of suicide troops in my last war. All his cities took at least 10 turns to make a unit MINIMUM (I had SO MUCH EP against him, I could see all his cities :D), but, even then, he was able to whip up 10 units [edit]every 5 turns[/edit]. It seems as if he doesn't want to build any buildings or infrastructure for his cities.

#3: The INSANE bonus AI gets in WW. In that very game I must have killed nearly 100~150 units. I look in his cities, and his biggest city has 2 war weariness. 2. I get 4 war weariness in a simaler sized city after losing my stack of ~20 units in a war -.-

#4: The unlucky fact that I ALWAYS get the big continent with a very few war mongerers and tech-hoarders. Meanwhile, on the other continent, thier weakest member has more points than our strongest member, as well as 6 (5 if we are lucky) religions, a whole bunch of wonders, and an insane tech lead. Playing catch-up is not easy.

#5: Nuclear non-proliferation treaties. In the real world, those treaties are hard to sign and enforce. However, in civ, they are often signed before the Manhatten Project. I WANNA NUKE SOMEONE (thus why I am disabling Diplo win for my next few battles)

#6: The AP "Peace between members of the same faith", and the UN equivelent. This stops wars, and are so annoying. When I have had enough of defying these motions, what should be the second motion but "Assign the city of XXX back to the noob AI who couldn't defend its cities". I don't lose cities, but I wonder if the AP will work for me? And if I could just survive without milatery power, just the AP defending me :D

#7: Mobile SAM + Modern Armor columns. There are NO COUNTERS for this sort of attack. The only way to beat them is MORE Tanks + Mobile SAMs. And that logic is flawed because of #2. Or nukes, but then again: #5. At least Airships can only do max 10% damage.

#8: Monty. I didn't understand that he was so insane, but the fact that he refused, after losing said 100+ units, with a cost of about 6 of mine (I am an awesome defender, and look mum: No walls :D), he still DEMANDED A FRIGGIN CITY. I have never had that before. I had to capture a city, and give him that one in order to FINALLY get peace. I understand why people call him crazy after that...

#9: AI demanding stuff that you could never demand of them. Techs, thousands of gold, CITIES :)O), resources... I want to red-out some of my stuff, just to avoid the unstoppable "You refused our fair trade of 3 million gold, and all your techs, for nothing" negative diplo modifier...

#10: The barb uprising event. Never have I seen something so broken before... Game-testers missed something BIG.

My top 10 annoyances. But mostly the game is perfect, and those things are just minor.