Things that irk you

For some reason, at least in multiplayer, I get the most amazing starts ever, but I have yet to recreate it in my single player games. Also, barbs on multiplayer seem to always be set to raging. I had an ally get his capital sacked because of 3 barbarian encampments sending axe throwers and horsemen to his capital.

This is not an irk... it is something that sends me into pure rage mode!!

A barbarian horse camp spawns on one of my trade routes, wipes out two caravans on the one turn, promptly spawns a further two horses for wiping out the caravans, then all three head into my capital to ride roughshod all over my improvements.

Isn't it enough that you lose your trade route, without more barbarians insta-spawning to come and you up some more?

serious QQ

Plus, they are now healing every time they pillage.

RAGE.

I hear 'ya Scott!

I even had units spread out to keep things lit up so barb camps would not spawn. Except for one single little tile...

Wanna guess what happened? Two barb archers and a horseman suddenly appear, and then apparently the barbs discovered how to cross the oceans and some of them showed up.

How do you fight off a half-dozen barbs that early in the game?

City manager changed the one tile I didn't have locked in from a mine to a plantation with one turn to go before completing the Oracle. I missed it by 3 hammers. Next turn comes up with one left to complete and of course this time "it was finished in a far off land"! FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Attrition - After searching the forum and plenty of Google searching, no one know wtf this is any why it kills your units. I lost a sub, a destroyer, and almost a carrier to this crap just for having units hanging out over by an enemy city, and even when I moved them outside his border, they were still getting effected and killed by it. I had plenty of gold and happiness, so there's no reason for it.

Foot units vs. explosives - I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no reason ANY foot soldiers should be able to go up against ANY armored units. Rocket Artillery vs. Infantry and they don't get wiped out in one hit? How about Advanced infantry actually killing your armored units? Yeah, cause I'm sure a machine gun would be a huge threat to a LAV or Tank.

Camera - the game having no idea where it wants my camera to go so it's just tossing it all over the place causing me to move the wrong units to the wrong locations.

Wonders - Being able to start a wonder that will take forever, waiting for it to finish, and then right before yours is done it's finished elsewhere, causing all those turns to be completely wasted when the game knows it's already been started somewhere else and will finish before yours.

Barbarians - who just run in, snatch your workers, then lead you on a 50 move chase to get them back.

War - when Civs declare war on you, so you defend yourself, and you're the warmonger blood thirsty tyrant. Or how about fighting alongside two other civs who have all declared war on one civ, and then in the middle of the war they both denounce you saying they are gonna tell the world of the things I've done. WTF?! You're fighting right next to me you piece of ! Oh, great, now both of you are fighting me, glad to see the friendship we've had for like 1000 years is now all of a sudden completely gone.

Absurd demands - This is two fold: one being when me and my buddy were laying waste to another Civ, he tried to negotiate peace with US, who were absolutely destroying him, but demanding all of our resources, all our luxury resources, a ton of gold, and a ton of gold per turn. Ummmm, you do realize WE'RE the ones winning, not you, right? The other point is when trading for resources, "Ah, he's got Silk, well hell, I got Gems, that should be an easy trade.......wait, you want gold, gems, horses, iron, and gold per turn for silk? Are you out of your mind?"

Resource trading- how is it that three civs on another continent don't have any luxory resources for trade?

Our happiness vs. AI happiness - 'Nuff said.

Nukes - Ummmm, pretty sure a nuke should LEVEL a city.......not, just do some damage and leave it standing.

Conquering cities - Why the hell can't you raze a capitol? Why do you need to capture a city to burn it down to the ground? If you're playing on a domination game, you have to capture every city before you can destroy it, and some of which you can't do if it was a CS prior or a capitol, which means you're gonna need an godly amount of happiness before you can begin your path of destruction.

Now, with all that said, holy , I love this game.

Moderator Action: This is a family friendly forum, please curb your use of bad language. Have removed offensive words.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Why does everyone call science beakers? They'reFLASKS

I've had no motivation at all to go into order. Freedom, even with a large empire, still feels like a better option every time.

I have tried FOUR games tonight and the barbs are just killing me.
Problem isn't the game, it's in you I'd guess. Did you pick honor opener? Gives 33% bonus, makes them practically harmless.

Even with raging barbarians, it's really no issue killing them pretty quickly.

How about Advanced infantry actually killing your armored units? Yeah, cause I'm sure a machine gun would be a huge threat to a LAV or Tank.
Well, for a very short time in WWII, against clueless soldiers, tanks were pretty much it.
Not clueless soldiers sneaked up on tanks and set them on fire with molotovs.
Later in war, everyone had bazookas.

Modern infantry has RPG's. Which are a deadly threat to any tanks within <300 m.

It also has, in smaller quantities, wire-guided anti-tank missiles. Which almost always hit, and if they hit destroy a tank. Unless it has reactive armor and the missile doesn't have a tandem warhead.

If the infantry is armored, the IFV's almost invariably have several ATGM each.

[Foot units vs. explosives - I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no reason ANY foot soldiers should be able to go up against ANY armored units. Rocket Artillery vs. Infantry and they don't get wiped out in one hit? How about Advanced infantry actually killing your armored units? Yeah, cause I'm sure a machine gun would be a huge threat to a LAV or Tank.

There are multitude of ways one soldier can deal with a tank if he manages to get close enough
Not to mention a whole unit

Wonders - Being able to start a wonder that will take forever, waiting for it to finish, and then right before yours is done it's finished elsewhere, causing all those turns to be completely wasted when the game knows it's already been started somewhere else and will finish before yours.

Well you can leapfrog another civ's progress on a wonder if you have a better production and/or chop down forests
That said, it really is rage inducing when you only need one more turn and someone else finishes it

Barbarians - who just run in, snatch your workers, then lead you on a 50 move chase to get them back.

Well you should be protecting your workers in the first place

War - when Civs declare war on you, so you defend yourself, and you're the warmonger blood thirsty tyrant. Or how about fighting alongside two other civs who have all declared war on one civ, and then in the middle of the war they both denounce you saying they are gonna tell the world of the things I've done. WTF?! You're fighting right next to me you piece of ! Oh, great, now both of you are fighting me, glad to see the friendship we've had for like 1000 years is now all of a sudden completely gone.

Absurd demands - This is two fold: one being when me and my buddy were laying waste to another Civ, he tried to negotiate peace with US, who were absolutely destroying him, but demanding all of our resources, all our luxury resources, a ton of gold, and a ton of gold per turn. Ummmm, you do realize WE'RE the ones winning, not you, right? The other point is when trading for resources, "Ah, he's got Silk, well hell, I got Gems, that should be an easy trade.......wait, you want gold, gems, horses, iron, and gold per turn for silk? Are you out of your mind?"

That is a problem. The AI can only be described as schizophrenic sometimes

Resource trading- how is it that three civs on another continent don't have any luxory resources for trade?

I always assume that the AI has already traded their excess resources when that happens
But that's just conjecture

Conquering cities - Why the hell can't you raze a capitol? Why do you need to capture a city to burn it down to the ground? If you're playing on a domination game, you have to capture every city before you can destroy it, and some of which you can't do if it was a CS prior or a capitol, which means you're gonna need an godly amount of happiness before you can begin your path of destruction.

It's tied to domination victory - you have to capture and HOLD enemy capitals and just destroying them takes a whole element out of the domination mechanic and makes it a lot easier
That said, I'm annoyed by this as well. I'd prefer they figured some other way to handle domination and let me raze every city. It also still doesn't explain why you can't raze CS and who came up with that brilliant idea

Moderator Action: You are responsible for what is in your post, including what you quoted. Please do not quote, without removing, unacceptable language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Things that irk me:

1. Moving Prophets, Merchants, Archaeologists around the map
Really a nitpicky complaint is all, but having to move them a few spaces at a time to get them to a far away location - especially late game when you're often doing all three at once - is annoying. I know you can move them in one turn and let them auto-travel but I don't like doing that, hence why I admit it's nitpicky for me to say

2. Pronunciation of Gajah Mada
As an Indonesian, it bugs me that the intro civ screen he mispronounces the name. This isn't an out-and-out history game so you have to give them wiggle room for mistakes, but you would think the pronunciation of a leader's name would be at minimum one of the things they try to get right. Worse yet, he says "Gayah" once then "Gahah" later, so I can't even give a pass for that. Majapahit is also pronounced incorrectly. Should be a hard J sound...you know, like it's spelled

3. Difficult start, easier finish
I wish there was consistency in this. The early game is a fun struggle, but the later game becomes easier. I was told to move up a difficulty level. So I did. But it just became "early game even harder than before, late game becomes easier anyway." The difficulty, I feel, should be more consistent throughout

4. City Art Style
I wish they were more specific to the civ. I understand though that requires more effort than necessary, so I'm not truly bothered, just slightly irked

5. Music
I wish they gave you an option to control your playlist. Some songs take me out of the immersion for some civs. E.g. Playing India and hearing East Asian strings. Might as well throw in some Chopin while you're at it

Unit pathing - when you give a path and it asks for new orders if another unit is on the tile that it's been ordered to go to, EVEN IF it won't get there for another 10 turns. This becomes very annoying very quickly, especially bearing in mind that the AI likes to shuffle its units around in its territory for no apparent reason.

'Being on such good terms...'
- ARGH. This is at least as irritating as the Hostile taunts. I know you know I'm friends with XYZ, and I know you are too - you don't have to keep telling me about it!

Friendly 'requests for help' - I don't mind the AI doing this from time to time, but I'd really like to see them offer a resource trade once in a while rather than just thinking that our DoF entitles them to request demand my spare luxury or the contents of my treasury, free of charge. They clearly trade their spare luxuries to the other AI, which explains why they never have extra ones to trade anyway, so why not the player? It's nice that they'll offer to renew deals you set up that expired, but they won't make new requests, other than to ask for your free stuff. This just encourages me to see the AI as a spoilt child rather than a fellow leader I can respect. Related to this, I'd also like to see World Congress leaders investing a little more effort in trying to get the player to support them.

Foot units vs. explosives - I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no reason ANY foot soldiers should be able to go up against ANY armored units. Rocket Artillery vs. Infantry and they don't get wiped out in one hit? How about Advanced infantry actually killing your armored units? Yeah, cause I'm sure a machine gun would be a huge threat to a LAV or Tank.

What.
Infantry has a number of ways of dealing with armor: AT mines, AT nades, AT rifles, RPGs, let alone all the methods to stuck a tank in place and negate its visual, and tactics to avoid fire such as spreading out and moving.
And then factor in all terrain issues, like, try to drive a tank on a mountain or hill.
Back when I was on duty I went one day inside a tank and the next day I gladly went back to the Alpini division.

Moderator Action: Please take care that what you quote is not against the rules, in this case bad language. Removed it.

1. AI cheating on happiness, it is ok to cheat on everything else, but with happiness it is just crazy and game breaking. Anybody knows how to change it?
2. No ability to demand, trade, tech from AI. Neither can give them a unit.
3 Warmonger penalty lasting forever, even if i was attaced, and the enemy was generally agressive.
4. No diffiulty level "all civs start at same level, but each time player enter new era AI gets some boost". Playing hiher difficulties just means "no ancient wonders for you".

The fact that olives are absent from the resources has always irked me a bit - it's one of the most important foods in history, especially in the Mediterranean and Middle East. I'd replace citrus. Also, crabs? Srsly? I mean, they're an important food in a lot of cultures but I wouldn't really consider them a "luxury" on a par with gold, silk and wine.

-As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), there's no way of knowing which CIV has already completed a wonder. Like, I will beeline to technology A because it is what I need to build wonder B, but some other civ already beat me to it about 50 turns earlier. Of course, I also just have a bad memory.

Thanks to those who helped me realize that my aforementioned 'irk' was not true! :goodjob:

This has probably been mentioned before, but in my last game, I've gotten several messages that say something like 'MARIA I IS PLANNING TO ATTACK (YOUR CITY)' from my spies.
However, after 300 turns and about 20 messages, she has not attacked at all. It makes it that whenever I see these messages, I simply ignore them because only 10% of the time is war ever declared. Fix this Firaxis!

Attrition - After searching the forum and plenty of Google searching, no one know wtf this is any why it kills your units. I lost a sub, a destroyer, and almost a carrier to this crap just for having units hanging out over by an enemy city, and even when I moved them outside his border, they were still getting effected and killed by it. I had plenty of gold and happiness, so there's no reason for it.

I believe Attrition is due to your Supply rating. If you check the Military advisor, upper left (I believe, might be wrong), your civ actually has a supply rating based on number of cities and population. If your army gets to big, attrition sets in afaik.

People rarely run into Supply limits because gold costs typically cause issues first.

What.
Infantry has a number of ways of dealing with armor: AT mines, AT nades, AT rifles, RPGs, let alone all the methods to stuck a tank in place and negate its visual, and tactics to avoid fire such as spreading out and moving.
And then factor in all terrain issues, like, try to drive a tank on a mountain or hill.
Back when I was on duty I went one day inside a tank and the next day I gladly went back to the Alpini division.

I'm not talking about the infantry with bazookas, I'm talking about all the infantry that only have rifles, and all the upgrades that they go through. Heck, you can go back to artillery, there's no reason even early on infantry should survive an artillery strike. Even if you had artillery going against Great War Infantry, those guys would be ripped apart by those artillery rounds.

Problem isn't the game, it's in you I'd guess. Did you pick honor opener? Gives 33% bonus, makes them practically harmless.

Even with raging barbarians, it's really no issue killing them pretty quickly.

I love the opener. With raging barbs the culture from the kills piles up fast! I'll even leave my capitol surrounded by three camps just to farm culture with the honor opener.

It just feels like a sad, slapped on system to make those things somewhat more useful to me. I'm modding it out to replace it another sad, slapped on system to make it better!

In addition to it just feeling a bit lazy, I think it does a poor job actually improving the general uninspiring feel around those military City-States. The UU is not guaranteed to be useful, getting the UU over and over again is likely to be even less useful, and once its time passes, a City-State reverts to gifting only plain units. I plan to replace the gifting system so they give good units consistently. Sort of an elite army, which the current militaristic City-States fail to deliver.

But enough talk of my mod, just wanted to say that I dislike the system.

speaking of that here, I'd point out I dislike getting 0 exp units from Militaristics. If the city has a barracks and an armory, I want 30 exp units. If it has a MA, 45 exp units pretty please. When I go all out war, all my unit producing cities have barracks armory MA and possibly stables / heroic epic (I get beaten to Alhambra), so a 0 exp unit is just dead weight to me and gets disbanded immediately.

I know this is flogging a very dead horse, but I really wish there was a way of making the game harder without letting the computer cheat, playing an entirely different game from you. I used to play Prince to avoid that, but it's too easy, King is getting easy too. While every level is winnable, some requiring very focused strategies you learn on the internet, it's a bit dumb there are some things you just can't do on higher levels because the computer will cheat you out of them (as some wonders or the entire happiness mechanic, which is just meaningless to the computer).

Absolutely this. I want the AI to create large armies from tall and wide empires so they can put up a fight. I don't want the AI to beat me to all ancient and classical wonders because it started with a huge tech lead.

I hate the fact that my catapult can't fire across Lake Victoria.

Gods, yes. I had forgotten about this as well, because it irked me enough that I turned the auto-next-unit thingy off. Now I'll just go ahead and manually move every unit I see in my screen before pressing the 'w' key that'll likely send my camera carousing across half the planet.

Yes - absolutely this. At the very least make workers come after combat units. Hey, I'm fighting a war here! The order which field you irrigate next can wait until after all the combat moves ffs.

Great generals spawning at the Capitol and not on the battlefield. Maybe that makes sense after satellites, but is just leads to a long dangerous trek to the front.

Great Generals and Admirals not being combat units and therefore instant kills when they're attacked also annoys me. They should scale with your era progression. Did Nelson sail into Trafalagar on a rowboat? No, he commanded from the most powerful ship in the fleet. They cost maintenance, they should be combat units.

oh, that for some reason the wonder narration is still MUSIC; not speech...

Top Bottom