1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Crusader Kings?

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by hockeyfighter09, Sep 5, 2011.

1. hockeyfighter09

hockeyfighter09 Chieftain

Hi all, since I found no threads on Crusader Kings I thought it appropriate to ask my questions in my own thread. I recently seen that Paradox is hard at work on Crusader Kings II. Being somewhat new to Paradox, I have only played EU3 and Vicky 2 and absolutely love them. I did however not pay much attention to CK. Until about a week or so ago and the premise really intrigued me and have been thinking about getting the complete pack on gamersgate. Is the game worth $20 despite being released in 2004 or should I wait for CK2? Also how stable is it on Windows 7, will it even work? Lastly, what kind of person is this game for? If I like EU3 and Vicky 2 will I like CK or is it a completely different game from those two titles since it is somewhat dated? Thanks!

2. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I think maybe waiting for CK2 would be a good idea. CK is fun but, different, unique. Unlike every other game where the goal is to lead your nation to glory, the only thing that matters in CK is your family and its dynasty, nations are just a means to an end and you can end up playing an entierly different nation than the one you started in.

3. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Word of advice: never buy a paradox game on release day.

4. hockeyfighter09

Thanks for the reply! That is what intrigues me so much about this game. The family/dynasty politics, it seems like it is the only game of its kind. Why would waiting for CK2 be a good idea?

I have heard this in numerous locations :lol:. It seems to be a good idea to wait for an expansion or two to be released before buying their games.

5. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

It might be easier to get into. However, it will need to get a few patches before it is 'playable'. CK and the Deus Vult expansion (CK Complete includes them both) will probably go on sale for pretty cheap on GamersGate sometime soon though.

6. Till

Till Adventurer

Crusader Kings is lots of fun and works fine on Windows 7. You do want to get the expansion though (Deus Vult), as it adds lots of improvements to gameplay and UI.
    I got way more than 20bucks worth of fun out of it, but it has often been on sale for a lot less in the past.

7. hockeyfighter09

Well guys, I feel like a complete idiot right now. I was doing some reading up on this game on other forums and found that they included cd keys for free for the complete edition in the May 2011 edition of the Paradox forum newsletter. Thankfully I have been subscribed to the newletter for over a year now. So here I was thinking about dropping $20 bucks on it when I had a free code for the complete edition sitting in my email since May.....man I am glad I never delete any of my email :lol:. Thanks for all the replies guys! I am off to download it now.

8. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

This has been good advise. Although they are trying to fix this, CKII is actually ready, but now it will be tested until January.

Have fun!:) The UI is a little outdated, but it's a good game. It will work fine with Windows 7

9. Yui108

Yui108 Deity

CK kicks ass. Sadly the AI does suck, but DVIP + MM makes it great

10. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I like the concept and the test game I played as Castille was fun, but the UI in the original CK is just too terrible for me to enjoy the game (I came into Paradox games with EU3, HoI3, and then V2, so I'm used to the modern interface only). I'm looking forward to CKII...after the first couple patches. :)

11. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Same here, I can't stand the Europa engine UI. Not that it is terrible, just the current one is much better.

12. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

I'm very much the opposite - I came to Paradox in the days of EU1, then EU2 and CK and can't stand EU3's UI (or really any of the HoI UIs).

13. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I guess you get used to what you find first.:dunno: