Thread to Report Issues with new xenForo version 2.2

That used to happen with the old forum too.

Is there any way to collapse it? Perhaps a grease monkey script?

If someone makes one, then it'll be time for us to make a sticky for CFC grease monkey scripts (which I'd happily do).

The arrow that takes us to the top of the page has disappeared from where it was (in a nice, easily-found location) and seems to reappear as a ghost image that appears if you happen to mouse over the right location on the screen.

This is not convenient AT ALL, so of course that's why they changed it, I would surmise. Why keep things easy when you can just frustrate the <censored> out of people?

If you go to the very bottom, it's too far down and the arrow won't appear. Go somewhere in the vicinity of the "Similar Threads" (that are irrelevant to me) and it might appear. Maybe.

I'm guessing this is one of the things that can't be changed? :huh:

I checked, we have 3 options:
- no arrow up
- make it appear when you scroll upwards (current setting)
- make it appear when you scroll up- or downwards (for a downwards button)

So no option to display it permanently :/.
Would you prefer the 3rd option?

With the new software, when I try to copy and paste an image directly into the post box, the chrome tab with CFC open freezes and has to be closed. This makes posting anything with images a huge drag.

mmmhhh.... which browser? Let me try this later...

Not sure why you lost the arrow. I have it in Firefox. You might consider that it may be a browser issue?
I don't use more than one browser at a time, as Firefox and Opera usually result in a crash or freeze. They don't play well together on my computer, and Opera has features that I find very useful on other sites.

I have firefox and don't see the arrow until I scroll down then start to scroll back up. At that point it appears and remains. I just tested it on a chromium-based browser using the default theme and not logged in with exactly the same result. The same on Edge with no add-ons.

Personally, I can live with it. My post is just offered as additional data.
Thank you for verifying that the arrow isn't always visible. It doesn't remain for me, though.

I never use Chrome or Edge.

If someone makes one, then it'll be time for us to make a sticky for CFC grease monkey scripts (which I'd happily do).

- no arrow up

The third option would seem the best. None are ideal, but I could live with the third one. As long as I know how to find it and it doesn't keep disappearing.

I just miss being able to scroll down a little way to the word "top" and zoom back up to check the rest of my alerts. For long threads it can take a long time to scroll.

This arrow that appears and disappears is how it is on the ProBoards forums - it's annoying there, too... and in their case if the arrow happens to appear right when you want to submit a post, the post doesn't get submitted and you get taken to the top of the page and have to scroll back down to finish the post. I would not like that here.

- no arrow up

chrome. Problem may be on my end, but fwiw this wasn't an issue before the migration.

chrome. Problem may be on my end, but fwiw this wasn't an issue before the migration.
That's the point. Before the migration, there was a link at the bottom right corner that said "Top". All we needed to do to zoom to the top of the page was click that. The current version of XenForo at TrekBBS has an up arrow fixed at the same place (it's there permanently and doesn't float around and disappear).

It would appear that whoever devised this "upgrade" took something that was working perfectly and ruined it.

Lexicus is talking about a different problem ;).

With the new software, when I try to copy and paste an image directly into the post box, the chrome tab with CFC open freezes and has to be closed. This makes posting anything with images a huge drag.

Okay... I'm embarrassed, but I don't know what you're actually doing :blush:.
Are you
- drag-n-dropping a picture from another tab in Chrome into the CFC tab (results for me in just the link getting pasted; Firefox)
OR
- you have the picture open in an image editing software (paint, photoshop, whatever), and paste the content here (does not work for me)
OR
- something else?

The third option would seem the best. None are ideal, but I could live with the third one. As long as I know how to find it and it doesn't keep disappearing.

Done.

- drag-n-dropping a picture from another tab in Chrome into the CFC tab (results for me in just the link getting pasted; Firefox)

This causes a freeze
- you have the picture open in an image editing software (paint, photoshop, whatever), and paste the content here (does not work for me)

And so does this.

I'm sure they mean it'll happen once w/ any big old thread, and the forum will be able to keep reasonable track after that.

This upgrade has gone about as smoothly -and quickly- as any forum upgrade ever does...

FWIW, dragged and dropped an image with Brave (chromium) without any lagging.

Scottish Variant.jpg

Yes, exactly as @Buster's Uncle says.
It'll only re-set if the thread drops to the back again. I have no idea if we can tweak that, haven't seen any option for that :dunno:.
I believe the droid you're looking for in the ACP is: Options > Threads, discussions and conversations > Read marking data lifetime. However many days you set that for, n+1 gets you the first post in the thread.

Last edited:
I believe the droid you're looking for in the ACP is: Options > Threads, discussions and conversations > Read marking data lifetime. However many days you set that for, n+1 gets you the first post in the thread.

:think: I've seen that, but if I interpret this option right, then this also is used to mark all old threads read in a forum. If I set this e.g. to .... I don't know, 3650 days (10 years), then all threads less than 10 years old would show up as unread in all forums, even if there was nothing new posted in the last 9.5 years.
So I'm not convinced if I want to tweak this :think:.
EDIT: Currently the value is set to 30 days.
EDIT2: And thanks :hatsoff:.

I'm sure they mean it'll happen once w/ any big old thread, and the forum will be able to keep reasonable track after that.

This upgrade has gone about as smoothly -and quickly- as any forum upgrade ever does...

It really doesn't seem to be the case.

Even when I am the latest person to comment on a thread.. when I click on the thread title, I might end up on the OP, a totally random comment mid thread, or my own latest.. I can't see a pattern.

It really doesn't seem to be the case.

Even when I am the latest person to comment on a thread.. when I click on the thread title, I might end up on the OP, a totally random comment mid thread, or my own latest.. I can't see a pattern.
If the thread is marked unread, it will go to the latest unread post when you click on the thread title.

Where this goes awry, in my experience, is if moderators/users deleted the post that the forum thinks is the first unread message. It will usually shunt me to the OP then.

If the thread is marked read, clicking the thread title goes to the OP. If you want to go to the last post, click on the timestamp at the very right where the latest reply is shown. (Not sure if this has changed between v1 and v2, but this does not work if you aren't signed in.)

Regarding the Dark Skin:

View attachment 635864

Isn't fluorescent green for names a rather horrible (for one's eyes too) option for a black skin? The skin feels more like you are in a nuclear plant :D

Personally, I love the green. It's a good contrast, not hard on the eyes, and is cheerful.

The only thing I don't love is the "online" icon that lands smack in the middle of the bottom of everyone's avatar. But that's an icon problem, not a color problem.

We can do CSS alterations. The main issue with the number at the bell icon is that I've not been able to figure out which element the number is. Everything what I've tried so far resulted in the whole bell being enlarged, which has some not-so-nice effects on the whole navigation bar.
If you have some skills in this area, and could identify which element it must be, then this would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I could ask someone over at TrekBBS. The numbers there are at least twice the size here. No guarantee they'd know, or would tell me, though.

If the thread is marked unread, it will go to the latest unread post when you click on the thread title.

Where this goes awry, in my experience, is if moderators/users deleted the post that the forum thinks is the first unread message. It will usually shunt me to the OP then.

If the thread is marked read, clicking the thread title goes to the OP. If you want to go to the last post, click on the timestamp at the very right where the latest reply is shown. (Not sure if this has changed between v1 and v2, but this does not work if you aren't signed in.)
The problem with clicking the timestamp of the latest reply is that it isn't necessarily the first post you haven't read. I've done that and discovered that there were 2-3 PAGES I hadn't read.

Top Bottom