1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

To whom are they referring?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by NewWaver, Oct 29, 2003.

1. NewWaver

NewWaver Special Agent

Here's the background:

The countries in this game are England (me), Rome, France, Germany, Russia, Greece, Egypt, Zululand, Aztec, America, Babylon, India, China, and Japan.

In the picture you'll see at the link below you will see a snapshot of a message I got just before my tactical nuke was launched on Washington. This is the first time I've ever seen it, and I have no idea who/what it means. :confused:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/The_AD.gif

Any ideas?

2. farting bob

farting bob ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.

its a bug in the game files. i presume it was talkign about america. go intothe civ3 folder and oepn up he text folder. i think it's probably in diplomacy, but dont qute me on that. then do a search of that file for 'declared war on us'. search through all civ3 and ptw text files for it. itshodul find on which has omethign liek"<civs name> declared war on us! so the program is just told tobring upthat messege and is told to replace <civs name> with he name of the actaul civ.

3. Sparrow3

Sparrow3 Chieftain

Did you see any other similiar messages after you oked this one?

I agree with bob; about an error in the diplomacy files.

In my limited experience, when you launch a nuke several AI Civs will declare war. So you should have gotten several such messages.

BTW there is an editor called civ III diplomacy editor in the utilities forum that will allow you to view and correct this.

edit: You could go to the foriegn advisor screen and see who else you suddenly at war with.

4. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

You cannot (and need not) fix this; it's a randomly appearing game engine error without further consequences. Can happen anywhere the Civname appears, like 'Hi, I'm Ghandi, Leader of the peaceloving AD'.

5. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

It can't be the Americans, because you declared war on them with the nukes.

6. Seanirl

Seanirl U-Boat Commander

What are those huge radar tower things? something from PTW?

what do they do?:confused:

7. HamaticBabylon

HamaticBabylon Chieftain

They help spot enemy tropes and artillery fire. If you build a S.M.I or a S.A.M in five cities you have a 75% chance of not getting hit by Nukes.

8. NewWaver

NewWaver Special Agent

The thing is, I was already at war with them when I launched. And when I checked, all treaties and wars I was in before then were unchanged. Weird.

9. Grille

Grille panel insect

So no new enemy? Hmm.

The AD thing has been reported a couple of times before. And like Doc said, it is not restricted to war declarations. I'll try to find another example.

edit here you go - AD is a resource in one case :crazyeye: and a civ 'substitute' in another.
    (SewerStarFish could at least track down AD to be the Japanese in his game.)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=932748#post932748