[R&F] Tomyris: Killer of Cyrus includes religious units?

Xmonger

Chieftain
Apologies if this is known but I did a bunch of searching and didn't find anything. I'm playing a religion win as Tomyris and discovered that it appears in religious combat there's a huge buff when fighting, and a heal when the opponent is defeated. Is this the Killer of Cyrus unique working here (All units receive +5 Combat Strength when attacking wounded units, and heal up to 30 hit points after killing a unit.)?

I've got a couple of Apostles with a +2 combat buff promotion and they're deadly! They cut a swath through other religious forces and are unstoppable. This is a great religion civ, play the gold, military and faith from the Kurgans.

Since the ability says all units yes.
I used my apostles to good use on my own continent when playing as Teddy Roosevelt, once I discovered they got the same combat strength as combat units.

Yes, it‘s why it was by far the best ability in the game in vanilla. Since it was nerfed to 25HP healing, it‘s just super strong.

To me it feels almost like an oversight, but yeah it works on religious units also. Ironically makes Scythia a beast if you want to go religious victory and has Yerevan on the map.

To me it feels almost like an oversight, but yeah it works on religious units also. Ironically makes Scythia a beast if you want to go religious victory and has Yerevan on the map.

Not sure if it's an oversight or purposeful, but I believe that all "military" bonuses also apply to religious units unless they are restricted by unit type (melee, ranged, etc.). Religious combat is treated like any other combat, complete with flanking bonuses, etc.

Yep, most combat bonus like the Aztec, Mongolian, and American ones also apply to religious units.

This just renders Spain a sad panda.

Not sure if it's an oversight or purposeful, but I believe that all "military" bonuses also apply to religious units unless they are restricted by unit type (melee, ranged, etc.). Religious combat is treated like any other combat, complete with flanking bonuses, etc.

It could be either, for one, there's few Unique Abilities that deal directly with Theological Combat (I think Spain is the only one that jumps to mind), but if they state "military" then likely it's an oversight, since the UNIT_ATTACH_MODIFIER modifier attaches itself to everything that can move, and they usually restrict with "UNIT_ISNT_RELIGIOUS" (I actually think they don't even have that one in their database).

The Scythian ability definitely applies to their religious units. I found that out quite by accident one of the first times I used religious units: 2 Scythian Apostles went through 8 Missionaries from various other Civs and came out at almost full strength!

The mental image of a Scythian Apostle charging in on horseback and smiting enemy missionaries with heavy copies of the 'Scythian Book of the Dead' is one of the (many) reasons I don't bother playing the religious game any more.

That's the reason why I chose Scythia for my one and only religious victory.

Top Bottom