• 16-20

Votes: 719 20.3%
  • 21-30

Votes: 1,192 33.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 739 20.9%
  • 41+

Votes: 424 12.0%
  • been playng so long that I've lost track of my age!!

Votes: 66 1.9%

• Total voters
Praetorian said:
Just kinda wondering what age groups live in the CIV III realm. My wife says I'm too old to play. ( 38+ )

I think maybe you can tell her about me.... I'm 66 and don't think I'll ever quit even if I don't know what I'm doing!

superslug said:
The post has been reported. We should just wait and see how the authorities deal with him. ;)
you're smiling like snitching is a good thing.
<deleted>

Moderator Action: Okay, you've been warned enough. Take a day's vacation from posting. One day ban. --Padma
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

compmage said:
Don't have time to read threw the entire thread, I do have to work and it has taken me most of the day so far.

Anyway, I'm 28, been playing since Civ I (1992). Also have some problems with my wife but it is getting better, especially since I moved to computer into the lounge. "Honey, now it is just like I was sitting here watching TV with you", best is I don't have to watch any of the 'chich-flicks'. My son loves watching (he is 3), "Daddy, where are the boats?". I think next time I get a new computer, probably with Civ IV, I'll give him the old one and tech him to play. :)

It's great to see that I'm not one of the 'old-farts' like I usually am when it comes to game-forums.

[edit] Looks like I just revived a really old thread...maybe it will make it to three years this way.

I'm 36 and i played Civ3 since march/20004, just like my son (8 years). We have two computers and we played great MP games. It's really cool, you'll see when your son start to play.

30 is cool, but 66!!!
damn, im 16 and I play prolly a couple times a week.
I just feel once you reach a certain age, that you should be devoting your free time to something moire important

I started playing Civ I in 1991 when I was about 15. What hooked me on the game was the great power wars and the uniqueness of each game played with the random maps that completely change the game situation every time you play. It was always a mystery setting out on a game to see what was actually going to happen.

I lost interest in high school and then decided to pick up a copy of Civ II when I was in college to kill time over summer break. If I remember correctly, CIV II came out for Super Nintendo or maybe it was playstaion. I didn't spend nearly as much time on it. I learned how to play on Civ I so my learning curve for Civ II was quick. Civ II was more challenging with better AI than Civ I and for me that took away some of the more relaxing qualities.

Didn't think I'd ever play Civ III. My brother had my copy of Civ II while he was in college and I guess he was playing it once in a while. Then he bought Civ III in 2003. I had kicked around the idea of borrowing it for a couple of years, until I finally broke down and bought it 3 months ago. My first game didn't go well. I was able to make it to the industrial age but the AI ganged up on me with better technology. The second game has gone better since I dropped it down to the easiest level of difficulty.

I've been playing the same game in Civ now for almost 3 months. I'm at the point of the game where I've built everything and I'm just conquering. I find it difficult to embark on a grand war unless I have the energy and the time alloted to sit down and play for the 5+ hours that it takes to make a conquest happen. In Civ III, the timing of a power war has to be absolutely perfect, otherwise you lose your guys on transports as you're sending them out for invasion. The margin of error is a lot slimmer because of the combined arms used by the AI.

In my personal opinion, Civilization is a great game for a junior high schooler who is too young to do anything on a Friday night. Its good for developing an understanding of how economics and development plays a role in historical outcomes. I don't see much value in it for somebody my age with the internet around to provide instant entertainment and I can really say that for all video games. Internet is the new game in town.

Alpha Infantry said:
30 is cool, but 66!!!
damn, im 16 and I play prolly a couple times a week.
I just feel once you reach a certain age, that you should be devoting your free time to something moire important
Ya know, I raised my two children as a single mom for 17 years, bought my own home with no help from anyone and worked two jobs to do it. Both of my kids have Masters Degrees (ages 37 and 39 now). I've worked as an accountant for the past 40 years with retirement only a couple of years away. At this point I kinda feel I deserve to have nothing more important to do...I've done my work. BTW, I'm 63.

gmaharriet said:
BTW, I'm 63.
Jeez, I thought I was old.

BTW, I love your 'evil kitty' avatar :D

I got hooked on Civ 3 when I was 12, now I'm 15 and still play like a maniac

I played my first Civ game in 1984. My boss taught me. It was the board game "Civilization - Game of the Heroic Age" by Avalon Hill, designed by Frances Tresham of England and developed for the US market by Bruce Shelley.

I loved the way the game played; simple startup to complex decisions that affected your empire. We taught many of our friends to play over our free weekends. One odd house rule I had was that we could not have snacks until the first famine had occurred. (OK, I have a sick sense of humor.)

So of course I got computer Civ as quick as I could. And eventually Civ II and later Civ III PTW.

In order to get Civ IV I will need to upgrade from this PII 500Mhz 128RAM machine.

My wife enjoys the board game; we even got Advanced Civilization from Avalon Hill before it went under. Thanksgiving 2003 we had some friends over to the house and played the board game, 6 players (2 vets, my wife and I, 2 who had played once before and 2 newbies), start to finish in 14 hours. From 2pm that Friday evening to 4am the following Saturday morning. Glorious. If the kids had not been asleep we would have gone to Denny's to celebrate.

My wife has mixed feelings about the computer version of Civ. She knows where I am and what I am doing on the computer and that is OK. But she has to remind me occasionally that there are other kinds of fun I could have if I got to bed at a decent time.

I am 47. Civ player for more than two decades.

Okay, I just read this whole thread (it took a couple of hours, but it was really interesting), so I guess that it's my turn to share me story, I think it's a bit interesting too, even though I am only 18. I got Civ as part of the "Explorer" pack that had both Civilization and Colonization when I was about 11, or so, just looking in Wal-Mart while Mom was shopping for something or other. When I saw Civ II:MGE I had to get it. Same with ToT, and Civ III, and soon Civ IV :D.

It's kind of funny though, I never knew of any of my friends that played Civ, usually HS students talk about FPS games, not strategy games, and since I don't play FPS, Civ never came up. But it actually came up a couple of weeks ago at some party. I just graduated HS (leave for college in less than a week :eek: ) and I was talking to a friend of mine who still has a year left and apparently a teacher of ours was a "mean Civ player." He taught Chem, Calc and Stats (which probably helped him appease the RNG gods :)). He's a really fun guy and I believe it, and I know he's over fifty (the staff at school threw him a sort of party) Ah, good times, I wish I had known that before I graduated, I may have to go back and chalenge him some time :goodjob:, but I think I still probably need some practice :sad: .

I started playing when I was 19 and a college freshman in '93. I had a 50mhz "Vtech Laser" bought on opening day sale from a Yes! store (whatever happened to them? Got pummeled by Walmart I guess). My parents actually forbid me from bringing my pc to college :cry: because of my obsession with gaming!

I'm 31 now, and hope to still be playing when I'm 81 :D

oh yeah, my pc is coming with me to college.

I'm 18

I want to know who voted for the under 10 catagory :confused: and how many of them are 0 :lol:

I got 18 almost 2 weeks ago :D and I finally can legally play all games I want :)

GeneralZed said:
I got 18 almost 2 weeks ago :D and I finally can legally play all games I want :)

As if you didn't before :lol:

Top Bottom