ToT MGE - Graphic Sets and so on

S'Calain

Chieftain
So, I have problems using custom Graphic Sets.

In MGE I can't create own files. My own Files are bigger than the original files, and the game tells me, that it can't use this files. So, if I Import my files in the original files, it works fine, but it reduces the colors of the the other file. especialiy the water looks really crapy after doing this. So, does anyone of you know , how to solve this problem?

Is there a mod or tool avaible, so that I can use more and further graphictempletes fpr MGE? There are many slots that were not used :/

So, why does TOT don't have an leveleditor? Furthermore the athmosphere of the game is really bad.

S'Calain said:
In MGE I can't create own files. My own Files are bigger than the original files, and the game tells me, that it can't use this files.
Graphics for MGE must be saved using Civ2's 8-bit palette, either as a version 87a non-interlaced GIF or a BMP.
S'Calain said:
So, if I Import my files in the original files, it works fine, but it reduces the colors of the the other file. especialiy the water looks really crapy after doing this. So, does anyone of you know , how to solve this problem?
That's probably because you took 24-bit colour graphics and pasted them into Civ2's 8-bit colour files. There's nothing wrong with that, but you've got to expect crappier colours than the original. Your graphics software will give you a nearest colour match; the better editors give you more colour resampling options. Civ2: ToT, on the other hand, has a higher colour depth than earlier versions of Civ2. It displays graphics in 15-bit colour (files are saved as either 16-bit or 24-bit BMPs).
S'Calain said:
Is there a mod or tool avaible, so that I can use more and further graphictempletes fpr MGE? There are many slots that were not used :/
There are 62 units slots available in MGE. Edit units.gif and rules.txt. No mods or tools are required.
S'Calain said:
So, why does TOT don't have an leveleditor?
I believe the developers simply ran out of resources: time, money and manpower. The editor isn't required. I never used it, even back when I was playing with Civ2: FW.
S'Calain said:
Furthermore the athmosphere of the game is really bad.
Yes, the default graphics are dark and blurry, but they can be changed. I've got some alternative graphics sets here.

Thank you for help :)

Graphics for MGE must be saved using Civ2's 8-bit palette, either as a version 87a non-interlaced GIF or a BMP.

How can I save them in a 87a non-interlaced Gif or bmp? or in a civ's 8-bit palette?
I am using gimp and xnview - and I have reduced the colors, before i import them to the original files, but always the water looks crappy

and to the units:
Can I add further lines to gain more units? and can i add further lines to the technologies?

S'Calain said:
How can I save them in a 87a non-interlaced Gif or bmp? or in a civ's 8-bit palette?
I am using gimp and xnview - and I have reduced the colors, before i import them to the original files, but always the water looks crappy
I've never used GIMP before, but I have the install file sitting on my HD. Anyway, I gave it a run. GIMP automatically saves GIFs as version 87a and provides an option (under Save As) to save as interlaced or non-interlaced (the default), so you shouldn't have a problem there. Civ2 uses a custom indexed palette, so there's no use in creating an optimised 8-bit palette before saving your image as a GIF file, as that only introduces another stage of data loss - you're going to have to load the Civ2 palette anyway. If, while working on the image, you've increased your colour depth to 24-bit (RGB mode), then you'll need to either load the Civ2 palette or paste your image into a fresh Civ2 graphics file.

I looked at GIMP's palette options and found that there's no function to save a palette from an existing file, only the ability to create them from scratch or modify the predefined ones. It uses its own format for palette files (GPL) and can't import Microsoft ones (PAL). [Edit] Ah, yes it can. 'Open the palette selection dialog' from the 'Use custom palette' menu. Right-click the Palettes window and select Import Palette... from the menu. Check the Palette file radio button under Select Source and locate the PAL file. [/Edit] So, what the hell, I created one for Civ2 (attached). Unzip it and place the file in GIMP's palette folder, eg, C:\Documents and Settings\Username\.gimp-2.3\palettes. To load the palette, go to the Image menu → Mode → Indexed... → Use custom palette → Uncheck the 'Remove unused colors from final palette' box → select Civ2 from the list → Convert. In all likelihood your water will still look crappy.
S'Calain said:
Can I add further lines to gain more units? and can i add further lines to the technologies?
The maximum number of units in FW or MGE is 62. In ToT it's 80. The maximum number of technologies is the same for all versions: 100. These are hard-coded limits.

Attachments

• Civ2_GIMP_Palette.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 86
Pssst! If you really want to see what you can do with ToT gfx, give the site Wobbegong's "here" site a close look (also in his sig). Once you've dumped the default gfx, you'll find ToT is a fun beast to mod and play.

[Edit] Catfish, did you ever post river mouths to match the Type2-Terrain.bmp rivers? [/Edit]

You're talking to the guy who noticed a 1 pixel difference in 'straits' formed by shore tile-lets! :mischief: Once I get off my lazy arse see a need, I'll go digging into Bitterfrost. I'm actually in the middle of my annual vanilla Civ2 (ToT) game, and must say replacement gfx certainly improve the fun.

Boco said:
You're talking to the guy who noticed a 1 pixel difference in 'straits' formed by shore tile-lets! :mischief: Once I get off my lazy arse see a need, I'll go digging into Bitterfrost.
I may get around to it at some point, but it's not high on my list. :p
Boco said:
I'm actually in the middle of my annual vanilla Civ2 (ToT) game, and must say replacement gfx certainly improve the fun.
:goodjob: FYI, I updated those files around a month and a half ago: created a bunch of new people graphics, replaced many of the units with newer material and added a batch file installer, amongst other things.

Its not perfect yet, but I think its oke for now. The water will be changed later on ^_^. But I searched out of all templates I found the best things and added them.

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/4821/fff0re.gif

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/2825/fff23wl.gif

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6671/fff39fe.gif

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1705/fff47pc.gif

But I have one question left. I can't play gigantic maps in multiplayer. I got alway bugs with the joiner. The Map is full of bugs, especially the upper part. One point is, that the map is partialy revealed and there are other types of terrain. Is there a patch? or can someone tell me a lesser size that works?

S'Calain said:
But I have one question left. I can't play gigantic maps in multiplayer. I got alway bugs with the joiner. The Map is full of bugs, especially the upper part. One point is, that the map is partialy revealed and there are other types of terrain. Is there a patch? or can someone tell me a lesser size that works?
Lesser size than what? The latest patch for MGE can be found on CFC's download page. I don't use MGE and I don't play multi-player Civ2, so I won't be of much help. The largest map size that MGE (or ToT) can handle is 32 767 tiles.

Top Bottom