ToTPP Download Bundle Website

The vast majority of humanity are driven by selfish desires of pleasure seeking. Selfish is not a perjorative but an observation on motivated self-interest.

Altruism is rare. Offering the bundle is altruistic. Offering free advice taking hundreds of hours on how to install Civ2 on an Android is altruistic. The creation of ToT scenarios is altruistic. The design of free unit graphics is altruistic. The creation of ToTTP is altruistic.

Most people cannot be bothered to do this but simply want to play. Hopefully,more people selfishly playing leads to more multiplayers for those interested in that and some portion are creative and might design new terrain, units, and scenarios.
Your flawed assumption is that anyone available KNOWS how to install Civ2 on Android in a way that'll allow ToTPP to be compatible. What if such innovation hasn't yet been made? What if, to use a Civism, none of us have reached that point on the tech tree to even trade to others yet?

Well as far as I know, the designer of ToTTP expressed an interest in ensuring his baby would run under Exagear(which is a Wine port) as he is also running the Wine emuator.

Anyone who can sideload Wine on to their Android should be able to run ToT and ToTTP. They can of course run MGE and Civ unlimited.

Exagear allows MGE and ToT and Civ Unlimited but not ToTTP. That means every MGE scenario tested works on the Android and likely old ToT scenarios work that predate ToTTP BUT the better newer ones will not work.

It's my understanding that newer computers will not run Civ2 though Wine can be utilized to create an older Windows environment on their system. Isn't this the main problem?

Well as far as I know, the designer of ToTTP expressed an interest in ensuring his baby would run under Exagear(which is a Wine port) as he is also running the Wine emuator.

Anyone who can sideload Wine on to their Android should be able to run ToT and ToTTP. They can of course run MGE and Civ unlimited.

Exagear allows MGE and ToT and Civ Unlimited but not ToTTP. That means every MGE scenario tested works on the Android and likely old ToT scenarios work that predate ToTTP BUT the better newer ones will not work.

It's my understanding that newer computers will not run Civ2 though Wine can be utilized to create an older Windows environment on their system. Isn't this the main problem?
I'm running Civ2 on a Windows 10 computer put out this year and marketed as a "gamers' computer." What "newer" computers absolutely cannot run Civ2?

I'm running Civ2 on a Windows 10 computer put out this year and marketed as a "gamers' computer." What "newer" computers absolutely cannot run Civ2?
I was under the impression based upon the Techncal help section that lots of people had trouble running civ 2.

Yep, just looked it up. There have been issues and consternation for owners trying to run civ 2 since Windows 7. We're talking six years of trouble calls and emulation to get it to work for lots of people.

Here's an idea. Exagear is designed to allow a copy of Civ2 or Civ3 to then be sent to your Android and run under that environment. So it might be possible to load ToT on a computer, appy the TOTTP patch and then copy the whole kit and caboodle to the Android at that point. Because otherwise you cannot implement ToTTP from the Android directly.

For that matter many utilities do not work directly under the Android but might work from a PC and then copied over as they don't install under Exagear.

Just tried it now, Galaxy S7, latest android. I got exagear, copypasted my existing tot install to my phone, and when I tried to run tottp, both from exagear and from the pc, no dice.

HOWEVER, I loaded up the game, and since the patch is already applied, the game works fine, if not laggy :)

Of course exagear isnt free, so thats a huge bummer for me, since Im the broke stingy type because I hate capitalism lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180614-014111.png
    Screenshot_20180614-014111.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 256
Thanks. That is precisely what needs to happen as interested people take the initiative and test it empirically so that the process can be explained to any Android user interested in Civ2 in either MGE or ToT formats... and now we need an Ipad person to do the same

And then write up a brief and clear statement on how to install it so it has a reasonable chance of success. Nothing is worse than buying some cobbled together programs and then it is not working.

Exagear is free for three days and then it will only let you play for five minutes. Which means that is the window upon which the user can get it working. Then they have to completely wipe their device before Exagear will allow another three days of operation. Which is why I suggest Google Drive as that serves as a place to dump data prior to reinstalling software.

The best solution is a free one like Wine because how many people are willing to pay the exorbitant price of $15 to play only Civ2 and Civ 3? Not many. It's a ripoff given the age of the software and since they are hacking the Wine app for their own uses when Wine is free.

I don't know anything about Ipads so surely someone has one and can try the new virtual Win 7 environment to see if that works. And that is free.

Last edited:
This is really interesting & something I would support. Tablets, iPads & emulators are not things I have much experience with, but I can see how that would be a good way to spread to Civ2 love to a new generation. Anything I can do to help I will.

The Civ games are highly educational and mentally challenging due to the complexity of wargaming particularly at the scenario level. And since there is a preponderance in young people owning tablets, then I want to encourage them to learn about history and actually try to play Civ 2 scenarios. That way they understand the cost and consequences of war.

Scripting events allows at least the opportunity for displaying historical events as text but can result in implementing AI attacks and that is thrilling and replicating history.

More of that and less stupid pointless arcade games.

The portability of tablets mean that anyone can play ten turns of Civ2 at breaks and as filler rather than mindless entertainment. To me it fills the niche of chess today and is more like Go.

What will be difficult is overcoming the dated graphics due to limitations. Many of us like it due to nostalgia since we played it when released. Subsequent Civ versions like 4 are vapid and simplistic and inferior by comparison.

Last edited:
A wonderful idea to make a ready-to-play pack but... where are Sci-Fi and Fantasy modes (scenarios)?

When I get a chance I will upload a fresh install with some scenarios included, plus the Sci-Fi & other original games. The one I uploaded was the version I had to hand. It was only intended as a test of the principle & to see if everything would work. I plan on improving the website, the download & social media pages when I have some time off work to do a proper job on them.

When I get a chance I will upload a fresh install with some scenarios included, plus the Sci-Fi & other original games. The one I uploaded was the version I had to hand. It was only intended as a test of the principle & to see if everything would work. I plan on improving the website, the download & social media pages when I have some time off work to do a proper job on them.

Yes, the test bundle works perfect, thanks for your passion for such an old but definitely such a good game.

That´s a great idea, as the update to Civ ToT 1.1 and the following update with ToTPP is really nerve-racking and time consuming when having installed Win10 64 Bit and the ToT version in Sid Meier´s Civilzation Chronicles. So a prepared Civ2 ToT exe with the latest configuration of ToTPP is highly appreciated. :goodjob:

It seems, unfortunately the testdownload is not workin any longer:

Attachments

• ToTTPP Bundle.jpg
    ToTTPP Bundle.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 634
Thanks Civinator. The aim is to make the download and installation process as simple as possible so that casual gamers won't be put off by a list of complicated instructions. I know I really appreciated the OpenGeneral downloader that did all of the legwork for me & allowed me to get on right away with playing campaigns. The current website and file host are really just a test of concept and I'll find a better host and improve the webpage over the coming months & crack on with adding some content to the YouTube & Twitter pages. Right now I'm taking full advantage of the prolonged heatwave and don't have the energy to work on the PC much. :cool:

McMonkey if you want to include Caesar in the bundle I'm all for it. I do need to make one small tweak that was found post-release.

I'd suggest Tootall's Vietnam and Tech's Seelowe if theyd be up for it too.

I was planning on including as many of the classics and new scenarios as is possible. The easier it is to install and play off the shelf the better. I'll definitely include the scenarios you mention. As I said in my DM, it's been too hot & sweaty here in the UK to spend much time sitting at the PC. We normally get a few decent days & then rain. This year has been weeks & weeks blue skies & blazing sun. Crazy considering there were huge snowstorms just a few months back. I'll be more productive once it cools down a little.

Hello fellow Chieftain, Genesis21,

Unfortunately, I do not have the link to this bundle. However, the next best thing is Catfish's TOTPP installation guide. You can find it here.
It probably has most of the links to what would have been in this bundle. I hope this is helpful. Happy civing!

Resurrecting this as @Civinator posted about this issue with the official patch not detecting chronicles Test of Time installs over in another thread and it appears to be unresolved. I'm also seeing reports of this issue happening even with CD installs on some Win 10 & 11 machines and no doubt this issue happens if the game install is moved/copied to another PC too. This is not good as the default v1 Test of Time install doesn't work properly on modern Windows 10 & 11 and needs the awesome fan ToT Patch Project that fixes many issues, however the fan patch requires your copy of ToT to be updated with the 1.1 patch first creating a bit of a problem! Can't run the game without the fan patch, can't run the fan patch without the official patch, can't run the official patch on modern systems and non-CD copies of ToT lol. So after I saw Civinator reporting this I figured we better look into it..

I thought maybe a manual install could be done with the official patch as I was able to open the ToT1.1 patch exe in 7zip however sadly it keeps everything important inside cab files I can't get into.

However that's okay as the I believe the reason for all these issues is that the official Test of Time 1.1 patch installer looks for a missing Windows Registry entry that tells it where the game is installed. I also believe the official Time Threat Paradox scenarios addon for ToT installer probably suffers from the same issue as it uses a similar Microprose installer released around the same time.

Heaven forbid they would make an installer that just asks you where the game is like nearly every other installer normally does lol! Sadly @McMonkey 's custom installers at the start of this thread that do just that have been lost it would seem (if not someone please post them here & I'll arrange better hosting!). However thankfully @sanmadjack appears to have done his own installer that patches both the Chronicles versions of MGE and ToT here:

That installer won't help with the ToT scenarios addon though so before you test out the above fan installer, @Civinator (or anyone else willing that has this issue) could you run an experiment for me? As I don't have Chronicles ToT or Win 10/11 and want to test the registry theory. I had to do something similar years ago to get the Civ4 Babylon 5 mod working as it required a bunch of Civ4 registry entries the Steam & GoG versions don't create.

I've searched my registry and have found an entry for Test of Time that states it's install location and have exported it into the attach reg file.

If you extract the Reg file out of the zip, and then open the reg file inside good old Notepad you'll see it says...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\civ2.exe]
"Path"="C:\\Games\\Test of Time"
@="C:\\Games\\Test of Time\\civ2.exe"

If you change both lines to whatever Drive letter and Folders your copy of ToT is (making sure you use double \\ slashes too), save it in Notepad and then double click on the Reg file it will insert your ToT location into your registry.

Then run the official scenarios addon installer and the official ToT1.1 patch installer (in that order as apparently the patch fixes bugs in the addon scenarios) and see if they now detect where your ToT is and install without issue?

Attachments

• ToT_RegFix.zip
    362 bytes · Views: 2
Last edited:
Top Bottom