Trading posts. What will become of them?

Did they go that far? I heard that they were removed from rivers and coastal tiles (they were actually even more ambiguous than that, referring to cities settled on those tiles not getting gold). I heard nothing to indicate they were removed from bonus and luxury resources, for example.

ETA: Here's the quote:
"It used to be in Civ V that settling along a sea coast or along a river gave you free gold. We’ve taken that gold out of the game and now you actually have to earn it by creating these trade routes."

The "free" is an odd choice. I've argued it was just the city tile's gold that was removed because that's the only tile that is "free." The rest has to be worked by a citizen. However, since that's not very significant, the consensus has been that he meant all gold in river and coastal tiles.

I could have sworn I read that on one of the sites, but reading through them again, apparently not :blush:

By "free" he might have meant that these tiles didn't need to be improved, and the gold is on top of the existing yields without reducing them.

Did they go that far? I heard that they were removed from rivers and coastal tiles (they were actually even more ambiguous than that, referring to cities settled on those tiles not getting gold). I heard nothing to indicate they were removed from bonus and luxury resources, for example.

ETA: Here's the quote:
"It used to be in Civ V that settling along a sea coast or along a river gave you free gold. We’ve taken that gold out of the game and now you actually have to earn it by creating these trade routes."

The "free" is an odd choice. I've argued it was just the city tile's gold that was removed because that's the only tile that is "free." The rest has to be worked by a citizen. However, since that's not very significant, the consensus has been that he meant all gold in river and coastal tiles.

You get one gold in a city regardless of where you settle, so I'd say that the 'free gold" applies to the tiles your city works rather than the city tile itself, i.e. you get "free" gold on river tiles compared to non-river tiles. .

I just wish they would upgrade with the times. Trading posts should become strip malls by the end of the game, and the gold yield should reflect that. But you shouldn't be able to Spam them. At some point, wouldn't they lose their usefulness if you had an entire city surrounded by them? Or maybe make the tiles more specialized. Why would I still yield food or production if I put a trading post on a strip of land? It should be just gold.

maybe not.

I don't know.

Bring back cottages. Down with ugly tiles!

I just wish they would upgrade with the times. Trading posts should become strip malls by the end of the game, and the gold yield should reflect that. But you shouldn't be able to Spam them. At some point, wouldn't they lose their usefulness if you had an entire city surrounded by them? Or maybe make the tiles more specialized. Why would I still yield food or production if I put a trading post on a strip of land? It should be just gold.

maybe not.

I don't know.

Bring back cottages. Down with ugly tiles!

But we had a problem with cottage spams, too. And what good would a million of either do in reality? You're right, there needs to be a spam control mechanism.

The real problem is pretty fundamental, though, and it goes all the way back to the beginnings with Civ1. The entire premise that a city works the land around it is fallacious. The production and gold of a city are generated IN the city, not from its surrounding land.

Basically, the whole model of city-land interaction in Civ is flawed, leading to "tile" spamming around the city that has no real-world counterpart.

But we had a problem with cottage spams, too. And what good would a million of either do in reality? You're right, there needs to be a spam control mechanism.

A simple and an effective spam control mechanism is by placing either a :c5gold: or :c5food: penalty if there are trading posts next to each other,if both of them are being worked by the city .

Other than looking ugly I don't think spam control is necessary. Strategy games like this at their core are pretty simplistic. You need more food, you farm. If you need more gold, you put up trading posts. If you need more production you put up mines or lumber mills.

It is one of those systems that is clearly not meant to be representative of anything real. i.e., gameplay not world history simulation.

Hmmm.....maybe trading posts can be built only along a trade route just like Bisqit suggested. Each land trade route can have no more than a certain amount of trading post. The amount of trading post allowed on each route is dependent on the length of the route. The older the trade route, the more gold coin the trading post will generate (just like in Civ IV's cottage). Once the trade route is disrupted by the enemy destruction of the caravan unit, rebuilding the trade route (by building a new caravan unit) will be available. But this rebuilt trade route would be like a new route, so the trading post along the route will generate less gold initially. Gold production will increase again later as this trade route gain age. And since this route is a re built route based on the old route, the time it takes for gold production to increase will not be as long as if it was a completely new route. That should contain cottage spam. Just a thought.

I wonder how exactly will this trade route work. Lets say I built a caravan unit in my Chinese city Beijing, and sent it to trade with England's London. So does the caravan just walk back and forth between the two cities for the duration that it is alive? How is gold generated this way? Does Beijing just automatically get a certain amount of gold each turn from this route? Also, is it possible for the trade route to connect multiple cities, or is it a strictly bilateral thing? For example, I built this caravan in Beijing, but I sent it to go back and forth between Beijing, Shanghai, and London instead of just between Beijing and London. How will the trade route affect the civilization that I trade with? Beijing will obviously benefit from this trade route in some way; we just don't know exactly how. But what about London? Will it also benefit too?

I dont think they are going to be changed - but their importance will rise due to rivers not yielding gold anymore, same with great traders. Frankly, I rarely build any TP myself because I always have enough gold and I believe growth and production are more valuable. I do not think they are changed because the core mechanics stay usually untouched by civ expansions.

Now I will have to rethink how to make money because it seems to me that there will be very little gold available and something is itching me that the trade routes wont yield so much gold that ll be enough for everything.

I only built them when the Workers are recommended to built them, and usually that ends up being around puppets, and occasionaly my original cities which have enough production and food to go on.

I am interested to see if anything will change with trading posts. Will they be changed into an improvement you establish along a trade route perhaps? Since water does not yield gold anymore I don't see why i would make a trading post at all. What do you all think about this? Currently, i make minimal trading posts and i think it would make sense to have them something you establish along trade routes to improve yield maybe.

That doesn't make much sense; the current reason you don't build trade posts on non-river tiles is because a sea tile would also yield 1 gold. (And with a light house would also yield 2 food) It takes until Economics for a trade post to be better.

But with water gold being removed then unless they are adding it back via light house; it makes trade posts more important in light of the removal of river gold. (This of course depends if you'll be able to build them faster in BNW than G&K and the mechanics of trade routes.)

No trading posts in the PAX video. Just saying.

However, you see there is still tile-based gold. The bonus resource in the sea (I think it was fish) had gold.

Frankly, I rarely build any TP myself because I always have enough gold and I believe growth and production are more valuable.

I build them in wider empires. You only need something like a 4 food surplus to manage a 15ish city pop. by end game. Building TP's on those grassland tiles helps keep the surplus down so you can push your empire out rather than up.

And gold-focused empires are not all bad. There have been a number of games where I end up just rush-buying anything I need and leave hammers for low priority things.

Top Bottom