[R&F] Trailer hints for R&F Civs: can the next one be Carthage?

I think the workers in trailer are building a canal + the Ed tweet where he checks out a canal for research purposes.

No idea which civ it could represent... Venice?

I think the workers in trailer are building a canal + the Ed tweet where he checks out a canal for research purposes.

No idea which civ it could represent... Venice?
The trailer is chronological though.
Assyria is a good fit for canals and pre-Rome, but terrain and people don't look too Assyrian. Sanherib wouldn't be the worst choice they could make, however. Quite the contrary.

Let's take a look at the metal bucket filled with water carried by the girl (in the second scene of the R&F trailer) which is probably an ancient vessel situla. Situlas in bronze are a distinctive feature of Etruscan art according to Wikipedia.

Etruscans. That would be something. Maybe it could be a hint for a Northern Italy of some kind

For that trailer the first scene (girls sitting is Greek (we see Greek patterns) but when she walks outside it changes. Her outfit changes to a coarser material. It is like they did want to tell us something here.
It could just be a clip for "builder" but .....

Etruscans. That would be something. Maybe it could be a hint for a Northern Italy of some kind

Do we know of any Etruscan leaders? I thought their language was only partially understood.

Let's take a look at the metal bucket filled with water carried by the girl (in the second scene of the R&F trailer) which is probably an ancient vessel situla. Situlas in bronze are a distinctive feature of Etruscan art according to Wikipedia.

perhaps, but sometimes a bucket is just a bucket.

This is an interesting post and subject matter instead of other two that seem to be going in circles and don’t add much, IMHO. So congrats for that.

I also would like for that part of the trailer to be in relation to the Inca, but there isn’t much evidence to corroborate that. So, the idea that it could be related to Carthage is exciting as well considering @Cywil’s observation and the obvious relations between Garthage and Etruria as allies. I’d welcome and be happy if we get Carthage. I voted for them. I would welcome the Etruscan even. The Inca inclusion, however, is unaffected by this or any other evidence present or not in the trailer, of course. At, least in my mind and heart.

Do we know of any Etruscan leaders? I thought their language was only partially understood.

This is what Wikipedia shows, but there’s not much detail that remained about them. The majority of their remaining writings are religious in nature.

Rulers of Clusium
  • Osiniu fl. probably early 11th century BC
  • Lars Porsena fl. late 6th century BC
  • Aruns fl. c. 500 BC
Rulers of Caere
  • Lausus
  • Larthia
  • Thefarie Velianas fl. c. late 6th century–early 4th century BC, known from his temple dedication recorded on the Pyrgi Tablets
Rulers of Veii
  • Volumnius fl. mid 5th century–437 BC
  • Lars Tolumnius fl. late 5th century–428 BC
Rulers of Arimnus
  • Arimnestos
Etruscan kings of Rome
Other Etruscan rulers
  • Mezentius fl. c. 1100 ? BC
  • Tyrsenos
  • Velsu fl. 8th century BC

For that trailer the first scene (girls sitting is Greek (we see Greek patterns) but when she walks outside it changes. Her outfit changes to a coarser material. It is like they did want to tell us something here.
It could just be a clip for "builder" but .....

And another quote from Wikipedia about Etruscan art: "The stonework is often of fine quality, sometimes using regular rectangular blocks in a rough ashlar, and sometimes "cyclopeian", using large polygonal blocks, partly shaped to fit each other, somewhat in the manner of the well-known Inca masonry, though not reaching that level of quality."

Cothons could be a unique district, maybe one replacing the harbor. Could function like an encampment in that walls protect units within. I mean, that's what cothons were for, right?

Cothons could be a unique district, maybe one replacing the harbor. Could function like an encampment in that walls protect units within. I mean, that's what cothons were for, right?

Cothons were just the fortified military section of the harbor, not the whole thing. It could be a building, albeit not in R&F.

And another quote from Wikipedia about Etruscan art: "The stonework is often of fine quality, sometimes using regular rectangular blocks in a rough ashlar, and sometimes "cyclopeian", using large polygonal blocks, partly shaped to fit each other, somewhat in the manner of the well-known Inca masonry, though not reaching that level of quality."

The Plot thickens. :D

In this trailer every little detail can hint at the next Civilization - until proven otherwise. :p

Now we have connections from Etruscans to Carthage and Inca, thanks to Wikipedia. Maybe the hints in this scene are more indirect.

I'd probably guess North Africa/Middle Eastern over South/Central America based on the worker's appearance/dress. I feel like they'd go more stereotypically 'shirtless with loincloth' for incan slaves. Also it seems dryer, climate wise. The hills/trees do look more South American than the more rocky ones I'd associate with the Mediterranean, but it could also be dam/river bed.

(Link from the original Youtuber on this theory (on 27:46):
)

Hey everyone. A Korean Civ Youtuber by the name of "Orient (오리엔트)" has put out a theory on what one of the remaining Civ might be. The theory is entirely his; I'm just spreading it here with the English speaking community because I think he is on to something.

The basis for his guess is:
1) We've seen that the reveal trailer is hiding quite a lot of info in terms of the new Civs. We already have confirmed the Mongols (and the forces fighting against them were Georgians with their UU units if you look at their attire carefully), and the Koreans. The scene with the Nazis marching also showed a map of the Netherlands.

2) That would indicate that we could probably assume that the rest of the Civs can also be deciphered with hints from the trailer.

3) From the 28th second stamp of the trailer, there is a group of ancient/classic laborers piling up stones on a mountainous region with water; that looks perfect for a HARBOR.

4) Orient thinks that these guys are Carthage workers, building a Cothon (a Carthage harbor/commercial center).

What does everyone else think? I am getting more and more anxious that the number of Civs are running out, and I'm having this weird feeling that the Majors (Inca/Maya, Ottomans) are not going to see the light of day on the R&F release version. Orient was also pretty upset because he thinks that Georgia's inclusion almost confirms that Byzantium is out this release (due to being too similar with each other).

probably canal lol

probably canal lol

Canals could be an improvement. Either Assyrian qanats or Etruscan cuniculi.

"The modern consensus is that the Etruscans had developed techniques of land-drainage and water-supply which involved tunnelling through the soft volcanic rock of the region. The most common form was the cuniculus (plural: cuniculi), which could take any form from trench to a complex system of tunnels. The uses were irrigation, drainage, diversion and supply. The Romans used the cuniculi of Veii to mine into the citadel.

The cuniculi found in the volcanic tufo in and around Rome (similar to the qanats of Iran) were excavated by the Etruscans mainly for the collection of drinking water, and, secondly, in some cases, for drainage and irrigation purposes. Today most cuniculi have dried up; a few still collect a small amount of water. However, in Etruscan times the climate was wetter. Cuniculi are evidence of the high level of civilization achieved by the rural population of that time.

The Etruscan kings are also credited with Rome's first notable hydraulic work. During the reign of Tarquinius Priscus in the 6th century BC, the low-lying areas of Rome were drained by means of a system of canals. The main canal, running from the Subura through the area that was to become the forum, was named the Cloaca Maxima"

(quoted from www.romanaqueducts.info)

Carthage was seen to still be a City State in the most recent Let's Play w/ Chandragupta. As such, it is now close to impossible that Carthage is one of the last 3 Civ's.

Last edited:

Even a female one - Tanaquil (Etruscan Thanchvil)

"The daughter of a powerful Etruscan family in Tarquinii, Etruria, Tanaquil thought her husband would make a good leader, but since he was the son of an immigrant, he would not be able to gain power in Tarquinii, where they lived. Knowing this, Tanaquil encouraged him to move to Rome, which was not at the time dominated by a strong local aristocracy. Her strong prophetic abilities helped her to install Tarquin as king. (...)

Tanaquil also played a role in the rise of Servius Tullius, the sixth king of Rome. Raising him as her own child, Tanaquil believed Servius would be the next successor to the throne. (...) When Tarquin was murdered, Tanaquil hid his death from her subjects, instead telling them that Tarquin appointed Servius as a temporary king until he got better. After gaining the people’s respect and commanding the kingship, Servius and Tanaquil announced Tarquin’s death."

So her Leader Ability could be +1 bonus for Great Prophet points generating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom