1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Triumvirate v6.0

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by Alphawolf, Dec 24, 2005.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Good Citizens, it is time to make a decision on whether we approve the Triumvirate 6.2, as currently contained in the beginning posts of this thread, as the Code of Laws for Civ 4 DemoGame 1.

Mock Poll: In this mock poll posts 2 and 3 refer to content within the poll thread itself, where the official documents to be ratified will be placed. In this discussion thread, the material is found in posts 1 and 2, and will also be copied to two posts in this thread following this mock poll.
    ======================================
    Do you approve the Code of Laws as stated in posts 2 and 3 of this thread and ratify it as part of the ruleset for Civ 4 DemoGame 1?

Yes
    No
    Abstain

This poll will be open for 4 days and is public. The Code of Laws will be ratified if the number of yes votes exceeds the number of no votes, abstain not counting. (Simple majority)
    ======================================

This mock poll serves as fair warning that the final ratification poll will be posted soon after 24 hours have passed since my initial suggestion for a mock poll (since no updates were requested since that time). Speak now or be prepared to address your concerns either as an amendment or a Judicial Review. :hammer:

Actually, given that the initial 24 hours are long gone, I'll leave at least 8 more hours before I act on it, but get your comments in quickly in case Alphawolf gets itchy fingers. :D

2. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Basileus, Founding Father

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I vote to accept! :newyear:

-the Wolf

3. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Term limits suggestion -

Change 6.A.II to "may be elected to the same" instead of "may hold the same".

Reason: Under the current language, a mid-term appointment would trigger the count - it really shouldn't. Likewise, if we do get into a crunch on citizens holding offices, this allows appointments to cover the slack.

-- Ravensfire

4. Alphawolf

%$^#* I know I changed that! :( The problems with having too many versions.

5. ravensfire

I quite know the feeling. For what it's worth - you've done quite well at a difficult and thankless job. :goodjob:

I'm looking forward to seeing it in full action in about term 3 or 4!

-- Ravensfire

6. Alphawolf

Thank you. As stated in the change log it has been changed.

-the Wolf

7. DaveShack

But still no copies of posts 1 and 2 appended to the end of this thread. :mischief:

Yes, I did get the PM and thought that the content of the mock poll would have made the answer clear. It's just harder for someone else to make the copy of a post with quotes in it. You can enter edit mode, copy the entire post, and then cancel edit, post reply, paste the full contents, and press submit.

8. ravensfire

This, ladies and gentlemen, is called a hint! ;)

-- Ravensfire

9. DaveShack

10. Alphawolf

Triumvirate v6.2
    Sections 1-3:

11. Alphawolf

Triumvirate v6.2
    Sections 4-10:

12. von_Clausewitz

von_Clausewitz Chieftain

In my self appointed mandate of Chief Mischief Maker, I will begin my mischief here. If this is not our current system of government and is merely a proposal, then I am not to late. Just so that these comments are in context, I am referring to v. 6.2

Section 1AI3a2 & 1BIIA3b - Under what conditions does 'The turn on which a technology is discovered' make it different from any other turn, such that the President may make adjustments out of the ordinary? Reason - research rolls over, excess beakers provide a 'head start' on the next tech, there is no 'waste' of beakers/gold on 'The turn on which a technology is discovered'

Section 1BII2 & 1BII5 & 2AIb5 (mobilization) should be removed in its entirety, along with all relevant subsections. Reason - there is no 'mobilization' option. 'Mobilization', or the concept behind it (faster production of military units), as it was in Civ3 is not in Civ4. It is instead represented in the Police State government civic (high upkeep; +25% unit production, -50% war weariness). Every reference or mention of 'Mobilization' should and needs to be removed (I found 3, there may be more).

Other then those 2 small minor points, the following are more opinions rather then attempts to cut away some remnants of the Civ3 way of playing.

Who determines when to adopt a state religion and which? On a related note, and I haven't checked to see if this applies or not, if we have a spiritual leader representing us as a figurehead do we still need to gain the approval of the Citizens assembly to change civics? Just wondering if the period of anarchy has anything to do with that determination.

President controls the navy? perhaps if it was to facilitate exploration when the President is the Designated Player it might make sense. In that case scouts and explorers should be added as well. Otherwise I see no reason to not include the Navy under the control of the Secretary of War.

Minister of Culture controls missionaries. Perhaps they should fall under the purview of the Director of Intelligence when they cross outside our borders. Perhaps it just needs to be a request by the DI to the MC for spread of the designated state religion in a foreign city (powerful intelligence tool there).

Secretary of War can't attack neutral cities or units without citizen approval. Can the Director of Intelligence undertake operations that could lead to a declaration of war against us? Could the President, who controls the navy, send a caravel or submarine into neutral or friendly waters, even if it carries a spy with the intention of disrupting the supply of that nation (sink fishing boats, offshore platforms, ect.)?

13. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Too late, von Clausewitz. This is the legally adopted law of the land. However, we're looking at changing things up - it has been revealed that a poll long ago deciding between this government and another one (the Flexible proposal) was tampered with, meaning that the flexible proposal should have been developed. Instead, this one was adopted and confirmed after a nice, long brouhaha. (Of course, I am intent on seeing it ended :p)

14. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

At least your honest about it Octavian :goodjob:

15. von_Clausewitz

von_Clausewitz Chieftain

Yes in my wanderings I have heard that it is not a proposal but law. Thanks Octavian. I have also noticed some other things going on that beg for the Chief Mischief Maker.