1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Trivial" query...

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by Von Naumann, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Von Naumann

Von Naumann Chieftain

I've been playing Civ III (Complete), now, for many years, but there is a small annoyance that has cropped up. Whenever I start up (new OR exixting) a small window pops up advising me to reset SCREEN RESOLUTION to 1980 x 1020. It's already at that, and I cannot access the window to say so, or tell it not to adsk me that again. Is there a solution to this?

2. tjs282

tjs282 Socially isolated since 1975

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    I'm curious, because in >5 years of playing Civ3Complete, I've never seen this: Is this pop-up generated by Windows, or by the game itself?

If it's a Windows(10?) notification, you may need to go into your "display-settings" menu to check that Windows is actually still using the correct resolution for your monitor (because it's possible that e.g. a recent update may have reset it without notifying you). If it's a Civ3 pop-up, then the following information about my setup may help you narrow down/solve your problem:

I have a download-version of C3C from GamersGate, first installed on an old WinXP laptop with a 1280*800 screen, and later also on a Win8.1 desktop using (initially) a 1920*1080 monitor, and (now) a 1600*1200 monitor (with the widescreen-monitor demoted to secondary).

For WinXP, the game is in the default installation location in C:/ProgramFiles/Firaxis/...

When I installed under Win8.1, I deliberately set an alternative installation path, D:/Games/Civ3/, both to avoid problems with VirtualStorage (of save-files etc.), and also because my D-drive is substantially larger (HDD, 1 TB) than than my C-drive (SSD, 250 GB).

To prevent distortion of the preset 4:3 screens (for game-setup, advisors, etc.) while playing on widescreen, I inserted the line 'KeepRes=1' at the end of the conquests.ini file (in both installations).

When I switched to using the 1600*1200 monitor as my primary on the Win8.1 box, I replaced the 'KeepRes' line with 'VideoMode=1600' (this appeared to be necessary, because otherwise the game-screen spilled over onto the secondary).

3. Von Naumann

Von Naumann Chieftain

Guess I should've mentioned, right up front, that I'm running Win 7 Home Premium, 64-bit OS, with screen Res set at 1920 x 1080. I've tried the "Keep Res = 1" approach, but the display goes to about ½-screen. I'm curious, though. If I insert "Video Mode=1920", what, do you think, would happen?

4. tjs282

tjs282 Socially isolated since 1975

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Well, yeah, since the City- and Advisor-screen (etc.) graphic-files are all drawn at 1024*768 pixels, they'll look pretty small on a monitor with nearly double that (horizontal) resolution.

But you should at least be seeing the main map filling the entire screen, without distortion (although the unit-animations will probably be pretty tiny, too)...?
    The VideoMode switch (1) assumes a monitor with a 4:3 aspect ratio, and (2) only has a limited number of possible settings, the highest of which is "VideoMode=1792" (see this post for all the .ini file settings).

So setting "VideoMode=1920" (= 1920*1344), an invalid setting, would most likely either be ignored, or it might prevent the game from loading altogether.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020