Trivial Things That Annoy You About Civ 5

That I can use the mosue for everything in the game except for getting out of the Civlopedia. For that I have to pick up my keyboard.

I also miss the building animations for when wonders are built.

There's a clickable "close" button on the top-right of the civilopedia window. But, really, it's a very dumb design to have the close button in a different place on every window in the game.

The huge unit graphics in th UI, when you are selecting a unit or whatever annoy me. Big, bold, and beautiful! It makes me think they were interested in puting more effort into the artwork, rather than the functionality of the game.

little niggle?

the nagging thought in the back of my head that they took major components of the game like religion and espionage out so they could sell them back to me later.

Ransom, (v.)....

The civilization details box when you start a new game with all the crap about "oh great lord, oh how your proud people need you, blah, blah, blah". Especially how it starts on the right of the screen then slowly moves to the center for no apparent reason.

:rolleyes:

The civilization details box when you start a new game with all the crap about "oh great lord, oh how your proud people need you, blah, blah, blah". Especially how it starts on the right of the screen then slowly moves to the center for no apparent reason.

That is really a stupid thing.

This annoys me too. I like the little history lesson, but the butt kissing I can do without. Do that at the end, so I don't have to hear it every time I start a new map.

Also, on the load screen where it does the history lesson, there's a nice looking map in the background. But I can't see it because it is covered in text. I'd like to see the map more clearly.

This annoys me too. I like the little history lesson, but the butt kissing I can do without...
I agree. I actually dislike the whole tone of the game (from the intro movie to the victory screens.) It is juvenile and unneeded. I'd prefer much less of the chest-thumping, adolescent take on world figures/events and a more polished, human and genuine presentation.

It feels petty.

I agree. I actually dislike the whole tone of the game (from the intro movie to the victory screens.) It is juvenile and unneeded. I'd prefer much less of the chest-thumping, adolescent take on world figures/events and a more polished, human and genuine presentation.

It feels petty.

See, like this one I think is major not trivial.

The zoom to a City-State when they send me a message. Is there a way to stop this that I have not yet discovered?

I can see all changes in national borders, as well as any and all city locations, that are within the borders of anything I have ever explored.

IMO, this should not happen until the Apollo Program; or at least until you discover the technology that reveals the world.

One thing I've hit twice recently - note that I play with Strategic View (F10) on most of the time to prevent my PC from overheating :crazyeye: - when a City State gifts me a unit and I click on the announcement, it zooms the view to centre on the new unit and highlights it in white. From that it looks like it has selected it, but it hasn't. I keep trying to move the unit and discover I'm still controlling whatever unit was active previously.

- No end game video. Just a picture and text is lazy.
- When I put a unit on auto explore they seem to always just head north/south and then explore the ice regions at the edge of the map. How hard can it be to head back into the map. (Iknow i can do this bu manual exploration but stil!!)

When the popup comes up for (paraphrasing) "are you sure you want to overwrite an existing save game", clicking OK a second time (impatience, or because I'm not sure the first time worked) always ends up landing on the "exit to windows" button...

On similar topic, I wish it would either list the save date/time with the save name (so I don't have to click through them all to see it in the other window) or at least shuffle saves so the most recent is at the top. Actually, upon loading the game the first thing you see should be a "continue" button.

Civilopedia is too basic/n00bish. For example, search "anti tank bonus". All you get is a bit of spiel. While I disagree with the approach, I can understand them wanting to keep the Civilopedia somewhat simplified, but would anyone ever be looking that phrase up unless they wanted the actual % bonus number? Why bother even displaying the strength figure when that only applies to fighting non-tank units, which they've just stated you don't want to do? Can't they just put "32 (+100% against tanks)"?

The game keeps changing the selected unit. I think it's because it returns control slightly before it's quite done completing the turn. What happens is I select unit A, the game fully completes the turn and auto-selects unit B, while remaining centred upon unit A. Either you notice an oddity with the movement number/path or you have some random unit wasting a lot of moves.

edit: since reminded in another thread, it's also annoying constantly getting the popup for having researched the pointless future techs.

- no regenerate map function, very annoying

- no ancient ruins in non-ancient starts, which is ironic as they would make more sense in those starts as "ancient ruins" ;-)

- Path seeking of units through city states thus destroying influence...

The one thing that irritates me beyond everything else:

Maritime city states that aren't even remotely close to bodies of water.

I also dislike with a passion how you can have the same civilization declare war on you more than once, while you're already at war.

Hi, you hate me because one time I settled a city a continent away from you. Declare war once, not every time you feel like saying "Hey I still hate you"

I don't like that some of the nuanced details of Civ IV visuals are missing from Civ V:

• Cities don't show all the buildings built in them on the main game screen.
  • Tiles and Improvements don't have different graphics/animations for when they are worked/unworked.
  • Trees in forests don't sway in the wind.

I also would have liked to have seen a few new nuanced details:
  • More detailed trade routes graphics/animations akin to what we see in Empire: Total War, in which wagons and caravans move back and forth across roads to indicate that they are active trade routes, and merchant ships sail back and forth along sea trade routes.
  • New Mountain terrain that ends movement for all units except air units and helicopters (in addition to the normal, impassable "peak" terrain) and maybe the addition of a "tunnel" improvement (available with Dynamite tech) that costs extra maintenance, but lets units pass through these new mountain tiles as though they were flat.
  • The ability to build a canal between two bodies of water as an improvement/wonder/building (especially since units can't enter other, friendly, Civ's cities anymore, and use an isthmus city as a canal).

This is a bit less trivial, but I can't stand that when you click on a unit that has queued up movement or orders, the game doesn't show you their current path or a list of the orders you have queued up for them. It makes mobilizing your armies and managing workers much more difficult because you have to move them one turn at a time.

And I'm irritated that you can't rotate military units once they are placed or fortified. It always bugs me when I put a military unit on a tile to defend my border, or put him on the front line of a conflict, but his back is facing the enemy. I know it has absolutley NO effect on gameplay, but the look just bothers me...

Oh, and no in-game clock,

no map option or scenario to play an Earth map with all Civs starting in historically accurate locations,

Seige weapons have the "set up" command that you have to do in order to use them, and which causes a second or two delay before you can give that unit a different order - is there maybe supposed to be an animation there of the seige weapon being loaded or readied for attack which the devs forgot to include?

multiplayer games exiting out to the loadscreen every few turns,

no subtitles with an actual translation of what the leaders are saying to you,

units don't talk to you in their native languages when you click on them or give them orders (as they did in Civ IV),

no super-awesome main menu screen of the sun rising and setting over the Mediterranean while "Baba Yetu" plays in the background,

no Leonard Nimoy,

... and most of all: No "Regenerate Map" command!!!

Anyone else notice how the picture on the reward screen for the Hagia Sophia is tilted and unleveled?

Anyone else notice how the picture on the reward screen for the Hagia Sophia is tilted and unleveled?

Most of the pictures actually are very bad. They lack perspective, they lack symmetry and whatnotever.
A first year art student should be able to make them with not too much effort in short time.

Top Bottom