Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Stretchy Man, Jan 24, 2011.
landlocked maritime city-states
denouncement chain reactions
settlers used as shock troops
- Landlocked maritime CS
- Road to the capital quest not working
- CS placing units around it's city preventing you from doing that quest in the first place
- CS perma-wars
- Civs with DoF asking you stuff, while you can't
- Denouncements very poorly made (Chain denouncements! If they don't fix this in the next big patch I'm done with it.)
- AI's worrying about "your troops being near their borders" every time they see more than 2 of your units ANYWHERE on the map! Distance to their borders is IRRELEVANT.
- The way too often AI's bombarding other AI's land unit with it's naval unit in my visibility range. Instead of moving the unit out of bombarding range it will sit there healing and as a result I have to watch this action every turn for as long as their war continues.
- Trading posts
- The fact that puppeted city gives more unhappiness than a regular city, BUT you can't see it anywhere as it doesn't register as unhappiness from occupied or puppeted cities in the happiness break down info
- Speech for wonder screens being associated to music volume slider
To mention a few...
Sounds like the Valley of the Uncanny, and I agree.
* Elizabeth demanding an audience every five turns, each time just to tell me she can't stand the sight of me and hopes she never sees me again...
* Gandhi having the "your friend found a reason to denounce you" relationship modifier, when he was the 'friend' who denounced me!
* Save games have a specific file extension, but it isn't associated with the game, so you can't just double-click on a save to launch the game and load the save in one go.
* Compounding the point above: The in-game ordering of save games is alphabetical, not date ordered, so the most recent save is often buried somewhere within an ever-growing list.
* On my PC it takes a couple of minutes to load up the game, just to get to a simple menu that lets me pick a save game to spend several minutes loading. I dread to imagine what the game is doing in all that time.
Hmmm, I seem to be drifting away from triviality
The narrator says essentially the same thing for every civilization. "May the blessings of God/gods be upon you..."
A size one city can generate 3 unhappiness
Catherine's stupid face
I must sacrifice graphic quality for speed.
Save games are alphabetical
You must watch every city state or AI fire arrows at every passing ship
I can never complete quests for city states because they have too many units
City States have so many units
The only way to ally yourself with city states is by bribing them
City States get mad at me when I enter their land to kill barbarians
You cannot trade with city states
Two people cannot be allied with the same city state
Chinese knights look like German knights
Bismarck and Suleiman's terrible unique abilities
You can't play as Gandhi unless you are trying to win a Bollywood victory
Edit: Cities in the Medieval Era can damage airplanes! Just imagine a catapult hitting a jet fighter with a rock!
While I agree with most other comments, especially Bismarck, the CS actually builds a road from its city towards you (within its own borders), so you just need to connect to that road. Now if only Firaxis would've fixed the quest...
AI declares war on me, never sends a unit within 20 tiles of my boarder, 50 turns later wants every bit of gold and luxury resources i have for peace.
after 1500 years Alexander still has business to settle. i have 4 musketmen and he has mech infantry but he wont attack. i win culture. sure i like to win but not because the AI is an idiot .
Yes they do that, but sometimes (often even) they'll just place a unit on the way and never move, which is ironic considering that AI loves to move around their units.
Also please do the list I requested.
If they'd spent more time on, say, GAMEPLAY
It just seems so silly to put so much effort into that, when it's a TBS game.
Diplo trading is sometimes ridiculous, why would I trade 3 luxuries and 35 gold coins per turn for 1 luxury resource?
Mechanised Infantry sounding like kid's toys, how hard is it to get some decent sound clips?
Oh yeah, also that Uncanny Valley effect.
Queen Elizebeth talking!!!!!
I want to punch the narrator in the head every time I hear that. I'm never quick enough to cut him off, I only manage to do it by the time he has already said what sounds like "A WHORE!!!!!" This somehow doesn't make it any less annoying. And yeah, the sycophantic opening narration is stupid too, especially for the Aztecs. It's like they couldn't think of any real praise so they went on and on about how "you're awesome because... you're just awesome! And everyone else is a jerk!!"
And Liz definitely needs to be changed somehow. Hearing "would you like a trade agreement with England?" in that horribly shrill voice three times every time you try to negotiate with her is just unpleasant.
While trading, the relative valuation of cash up front versus gold per turn. Why will an AI consistently give me 450 gold cash for a luxury, but only 9 gpt for 45 turns? The total gpt should be more than the upfront, due to the effects of inflation. And if you try to do a mix of up front plus gpt, it gets even worse! They'll offer 450 up front, or 9 per turn, or 190 up front plus 4 per turn. That makes no sense at all.
When you load your last save game, the caption still says "Begin your journey". Why not "Continue your journey"? It already knows you are continuing the game, since it doesn't read through the text on the screen as it does when you are really beginning your journey.
When I load fighters on a carrier or missiles on a cruiser the loadnumbers stay visible on the place where I loaded them...
Yeah, and it's the same for units. The fortify button will be in one place for this swordsman but when it cycles to the next unit I think the fortify button is in the same place, but instead now that's where the pillage button is. Yup, there goes my plantation.
Hey the thread is trivial things that annoy you. Not major reasons the game sucks.
Ah, yes. I haven't yet complained about being unable to regenerate maps.
That the game does not detect roads to CS's, making it impossible to complete the request.
Peace treaties. AI either wants everything or gives everything.
Separate names with a comma.