Trouble triggering trans-Siberian railroad achievement

WillowBrook

Lurker
I've been working on a huge marathon game as Peter trying to get the trans-Siberian railroad achievement. Are there any hidden requirements? The description simply says:
Playing as Russia, have a city that is at least 60 tiles away from your capital, connected by a Trade Route and road at the start of the turn.

My Novgorod is definitely more than 60 tiles from St Petersburg, not only via the road but also as the crow flies. I have counted several times. Once I had trading posts at enough intermediary cities to connect the two, I sent a trader from St Petersburg to Novgorod. There was already a competed road between the two. But the achievement didn't trigger.

So a few turns later, I sent one from Novgorod to St Petersburg in case direction mattered. Still no trigger.

This morning, I made sure that I was signed into Steam and that my internet connection was working, loaded up the game, and competed another turn. Still nothing.

Any ideas? The road does go through other civs and city state's territory; is that a problem? There are no water connections involved, so that's not it. Could marathon speed be an issue somehow?

(I'll post a save and screenshots later if someone wants; the kids have requisitioned the computer atm.)

This one is super buggy and hard to unlock. The number you want to be 60 or greater is the listed number when you are selecting where to send the route. Keep in mind that the tiles of the road do not matter, so much as the absolute minimum number between the two locations. If it becomes acquatic even temporarily (due to a lake or ocean), it won't count. If it judges it to be faster to go in the opposite direction, it won't count (unless that is somehow also 60 tiles, and follows all of the other conditions).

Since mods are allowed I might recommend that you set up a modded larger-than-huge Pangaea map with only you and one other civ, might make it slightly easier. This achievement is truly a pain.

This one is super buggy and hard to unlock. The number you want to be 60 or greater is the listed number when you are selecting where to send the route. Keep in mind that the tiles of the road do not matter, so much as the absolute minimum number between the two locations. If it becomes acquatic even temporarily (due to a lake or ocean), it won't count. If it judges it to be faster to go in the opposite direction, it won't count (unless that is somehow also 60 tiles, and follows all of the other conditions).

Since mods are allowed I might recommend that you set up a modded larger-than-huge Pangaea map with only you and one other civ, might make it slightly easier. This achievement is truly a pain.

I don't think distance is a problem - they're definitely over 60 tiles apart, and there's no water (except rivers) on the route. The total trade route time is 132 turns (66 tiles each way), and the road doesn't deviate from a minimum distance route, so I'm confident in my counting.

However, I think a straight line between the two cities might clip the corner of a bay. If I settle a different final city inland a bit, maybe that would work? That would be silly as the trader never enters the water. But easier than starting over with no idea why this one doesn't work.

I may be able to create a different route that doesn't go through anyone else's territory, if that could be the problem.

Has anyone done this on marathon? It would be nice to confirm that's not the issue.

(I'm also running CQUI and historicity++, but they haven't stopped me from getting other achievements.)

Some people claim you need it to complete, others claim it triggers on start. Better let it complete to be safe. And it is possible it's going over the water there, might be worth trying to resettle the final city.

Yeah, I was just poking around other sites, and there are reports of it triggering some time after the route started. I'll keep playing, and settle that additional city.

(I'm also working on the pizza party achievement - need to get the sewer yet. If the fact that I captured New York from the Americans somehow prevents me from getting it, I will be rather annoyed.)

Some people claim you need it to complete, others claim it triggers on start. Better let it complete to be safe. And it is possible it's going over the water there, might be worth trying to resettle the final city.
So I settled a new city about ten tiles further away and started a route from the former furthest city to the new city to build a road. Then I saw that I could go from the new city the whole way to my capital, but the route wanted to go through a different city and build another new road. So I started that one too. Once that new road was done, the achievement didn't trigger.

So I tried starting a route from my capital to the new city (length 77, for the record). The road was already complete along the entire length of the route and there was definitely no water. I ended the turn and checked my achievements after the new turn started.

It worked!:dance::banana::dance:
Screenshot_2017-07-04-18-55-38.png

I've been working on a huge marathon game as Peter trying to get the trans-Siberian railroad achievement. Are there any hidden requirements? The description simply says:
Playing as Russia, have a city that is at least 60 tiles away from your capital, connected by a Trade Route and road at the start of the turn.

My Novgorod is definitely more than 60 tiles from St Petersburg, not only via the road but also as the crow flies. I have counted several times. Once I had trading posts at enough intermediary cities to connect the two, I sent a trader from St Petersburg to Novgorod. There was already a competed road between the two. But the achievement didn't trigger.

So a few turns later, I sent one from Novgorod to St Petersburg in case direction mattered. Still no trigger.

This morning, I made sure that I was signed into Steam and that my internet connection was working, loaded up the game, and competed another turn. Still nothing.

Any ideas? The road does go through other civs and city state's territory; is that a problem? There are no water connections involved, so that's not it. Could marathon speed be an issue somehow?

(I'll post a save and screenshots later if someone wants; the kids have requisitioned the computer atm.)

Just completed this on a huge Pangea, first attempt. Russia's proclivity toward starting near tundra (Mother Russia) increases the chances of completing the achievement without a restart. Basically, you want St Petersburg near a corner and most Pangea corners include tundra.

I started at about 7:00 on the map and I had enough room. I had to do some snow plowing in the Arctic, but I had the distance plus probably a dozen squares.

I did learn that trading posts are apparently SPECIFIC TO CITIES NOT CIVILIZATIONS, which I had not previously realized. I attempted to plant a few posts near my Arctic city by using traders from cities that were closer to the destination (thus requiring fewer turns to plant the post). THIS DID NOT WORK (*). A useable trading post for this achievement has to be sourced from St. Petersburg, otherwise routes utilizing this post would not appear as options. After realizing this it took me another 100 turns to complete the achievement and I had to have my spies out in force to prevent others from winning a Science.

I dumbed it down to Prince for this attempt, but I'm certain that it can be easily completed on King, Emperor, or whatever level you normally play - provided the starting placement is good.

(*) It should be noted that the last two posts I needed were in foreign cities - a city state and a peaceful Korea. I am unsure if I would have been able to create posts from alternate cities had these cities been part of Russia. If so, I could have easily punched thru Korea, taken these cities, and finished the game a lot earlier. Oh well....

I had to have my spies out in force to prevent others from winning a Science.

You can still score an achievement after the game has ended. I got a score victory during my attempt at the one that requires building two parks on specific natural wonders with Teddy. Since my naturalist was just a few steps away, I decided to keep playing to see what happened. Founded the park and got the achievement.

Try it in a inner sea map. It's easier because you can't circumnavigate it.
It counts the closest distance between starting and ending cities in any direction. The distance of the trade route does not matter.

Last edited:
Can someone confirm that the trade route can not be over water? I've been working on this achievement for a couple days, and I just now learned that. My route crosses the water at a couple points. Will it not work? I'm up to 55 spaces away.

I have tried to do this achievment so many times... In many games I had a city physically 70+ tiles away from the capital but the UI said the route would only be 50ish tiles long... But anyway, in my current Russian game I finally have a city with a route described in the UI as 66 tiles long. The entire route is on land tiles, no sea or lake tiles. There already is a road on the entire route (bits of it are tunnels or railroads, does that matter?)

The achievment did not trigger after I launched a route from the distant city to the capital, and the other way too, from the capital to the distant city.

Do I have to wait for the route to finish? Or is this bugged?

I have tried to do this achievment so many times... In many games I had a city physically 70+ tiles away from the capital but the UI said the route would only be 50ish tiles long... But anyway, in my current Russian game I finally have a city with a route described in the UI as 66 tiles long. The entire route is on land tiles, no sea or lake tiles. There already is a road on the entire route (bits of it are tunnels or railroads, does that matter?)

The achievment did not trigger after I launched a route from the distant city to the capital, and the other way too, from the capital to the distant city.

Do I have to wait for the route to finish? Or is this bugged?
Mine triggered when I started the route, after the road was complete from other traders. I did it in vanilla, so no railroad or tunnel. Given the amount of trouble people have had with this one, I wouldn't be surprised if railroad and/ or the tunnel is messing with the trigger for the achievement. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Top Bottom