Troubleshooting and F.A.Q.

Hello there! I'm going to install your mod on my new computer now and get back into Civ4. I remember using your mod mostly because it was just the right compromise between "The unmodded game that lacked content" and "The complete overhauls that overhaul so much it's overwhelming".

I remember however that at some point during my games I was spammed with error messages, something about "EndOfTurn". I hope I won't get that when playing now. If I ever do, I'll let you know with some better details than this.

Glad to see the modding community on Civ4 is still active. I never really liked Civ5 and I doubt the most recent ones corrected the mistakes made when creating Civ5...

Thanks a lot for your work!

Also, I saw in the frequently asked questions that custom Map Scripts are not active. However I remember enjoying a lot a mapscript called FullOfResources, because there are some resources I have kind of a fetish for (Wine, Spices, Timber...) so I liked increasing the likeliness to spawn them compared to other resources. I don't remember if it worked with your mod, but I hope it does!

Hello there! I'm going to install your mod on my new computer now and get back into Civ4. I remember using your mod mostly because it was just the right compromise between "The unmodded game that lacked content" and "The complete overhauls that overhaul so much it's overwhelming".

Glad you think so. Getting that balance right is one of my major goals with History Rewritten. Welcome back, I hope you enjoy 1.24.

I remember however that at some point during my games I was spammed with error messages, something about "EndOfTurn". I hope I won't get that when playing now. If I ever do, I'll let you know with some better details than this.

You might be thinking of how it would sometimes get stuck endlessly "Waiting for Other Civilisations...". If you're on Windows, that should now be fixed. If you're on Mac, when it occurs you can now hit Ctrl-C or Cmd-C to break out of it.

Also, I saw in the frequently asked questions that custom Map Scripts are not active. However I remember enjoying a lot a mapscript called FullOfResources, because there are some resources I have kind of a fetish for (Wine, Spices, Timber...) so I liked increasing the likeliness to spawn them compared to other resources. I don't remember if it worked with your mod, but I hope it does!

It might work, but several new terrain types will not be generated, Natural Wonders will not be placed, and a number of other smaller tweaks won't happen.

Love this mod overall and just downloaded the update - I'm playing 1.24, Hiawatha on the Earth Scenario on Noble. At the end of each turn I'm getting several "Error in EndPlayer Event Turn Handler" messages with an instance listed of "0x34c1d030." I also don't have a research bar displayed or the "scoreboard" in the bottom right hand corner. Otherwise the game appears to be playing normally.

Love this mod overall and just downloaded the update - I'm playing 1.24, Hiawatha on the Earth Scenario on Noble. At the end of each turn I'm getting several "Error in EndPlayer Event Turn Handler" messages with an instance listed of "0x34c1d030." I also don't have a research bar displayed or the "scoreboard" in the bottom right hand corner. Otherwise the game appears to be playing normally.

You need to enable logging. See the first post of this thread for how to do that. Then, when the error occurs, a more detailed error message should appear on screen. You can screenshot that and post it here, or attach your log files. Alternatively, post a saved game, preferably from just before the errors started.

My game suddenly crashed while playing with the latest version, saying "failure to uncompress data". When I tried to open game again with clicking the save file, I noticed I couldn't open my 2-3 latest autosaves. However mod still works when I open it via other save files or when I directly open the mod. I would normally let it go and start a new game since mod still works, but this was my first game in new version so I'm curious if this error might occur in other campaigns too.

My game suddenly crashed while playing with the latest version, saying "failure to uncompress data". When I tried to open game again with clicking the save file, I noticed I couldn't open my 2-3 latest autosaves. However mod still works when I open it via other save files or when I directly open the mod. I would normally let it go and start a new game since mod still works, but this was my first game in new version so I'm curious if this error might occur in other campaigns too.

Sounds like an MAF, but I'm not sure. Can you post the crash report?

game says "failure to uncompress game data", but I don't know if there's a separate crash report. And when I open a new game I lost the autosave files.

Some general thoughts on v.24. First of all-- no more MAF crashes! Or very few. I believe this is related to the other big change: a drastic reduction in Civil Wars and offspring civs popping up all over the map. In last two versions nearly every AI civ would splinter, and 7 cvs soon became 16, and crashes ensued. Now the AI can amass pretty large societies with only an occasional single city in revolt. Not sure how they get away with this, actually, since I still have to work hard to avoid disorder, but it is probably just the added difficulty for human user. I do have a very hard time keeping up with the tech curve-- still have musket men in the early 20th century sometimes, even I have built nearly all wonders and led a pretty peaceful life. Love the updated graphics and new leaders. Thanks again for all your excellent work,

game says "failure to uncompress game data", but I don't know if there's a separate crash report. And when I open a new game I lost the autosave files.

Ah hang on, that's the incompatible saved game message. Should only ever occur when trying to load a saved game, and only if the saved game contains data different to what the mod expects. Did you make any changes to the mod, or were you trying to play the game on multiple computers. Was this a fresh game from 1.24, not started in the betas or anything like that? If not, I guess all we can do is wait and see if it happens again. If it does, please post the most recent autosave that loads okay.

Some general thoughts on v.24. First of all-- no more MAF crashes! Or very few. I believe this is related to the other big change: a drastic reduction in Civil Wars and offspring civs popping up all over the map. In last two versions nearly every AI civ would splinter, and 7 cvs soon became 16, and crashes ensued. Now the AI can amass pretty large societies with only an occasional single city in revolt. Not sure how they get away with this, actually, since I still have to work hard to avoid disorder, but it is probably just the added difficulty for human user. I do have a very hard time keeping up with the tech curve-- still have musket men in the early 20th century sometimes, even I have built nearly all wonders and led a pretty peaceful life. Love the updated graphics and new leaders. Thanks again for all your excellent work,

What difficulty level are you playing? I made a number of adjustments in 1.24 to help the AI manage dissent better. Fewer civs on the map will mean fewer MAFs, yes.

This happens in Windows if you try to load a game saved on Mac!
I was able to solve this by remove the dll (in a config file somewhere).

Yes, as of 1.24 saved games are no longer compatible between Windows and Mac. Note that if you remove the DLL you also remove all K-Mod functionality (improved AI, stability changes, etc).

What difficulty level are you playing? I made a number of adjustments in 1.24 to help the AI manage dissent better. Fewer civs on the map will mean fewer MAFs, yes.
DAR044A6PDB

Prince. Sometimes the one above-- Monarch? Large world or standard. Always world since I love the maps and exploration. And I sometimes reduce the starting Civs by one or two, though I may no longer have to with far less fragmentation. Also, the statistics at end of game has not been working-- displays the number of settlers but no other unit types. I think the realism of the Civil Wars is fantastic, but, to repeat myself, there is much better stability in 1.24 without endless new civs being hatched out like tadpoles.

Hey, not sure if it's the right thread, but I'll ask away...

After installing I played a game and went pretty successful - so much that it was no longer fun because I was unmatched by the AIs.
I'm pretty bad at civ4 so I was playing in Noble difficulty (The one below Prince... I think it's Noble...) ANYWAY. I started a new game in the difficulty above (Prince), and somehow my economy is doing terrible.

As you can see I'm at 0% research and my cities are outputting quite a lot of wealth compared to what they cost in maintenance.

I guess my army size might be to blame, but I think it's reasonable compared to how large I am. I can't see how much it's costing, because (and here's where my post might be relevant to the thread) the "Financial Advisor" Tab is completely empty.

I'm managing to beat down the AI anyway and razed many cities (I kept only those that had several wonders in them) but it's not really fun to be at 0% research and to have my cities produce 34% Wealth in order to not go bankrupt.

Any ideas? Is the empty Financial Advisor intended?

Hey, not sure if it's the right thread, but I'll ask away...

After installing I played a game and went pretty successful - so much that it was no longer fun because I was unmatched by the AIs.
I'm pretty bad at civ4 so I was playing in Noble difficulty (The one below Prince... I think it's Noble...) ANYWAY. I started a new game in the difficulty above (Prince), and somehow my economy is doing terrible.

As you can see I'm at 0% research and my cities are outputting quite a lot of wealth compared to what they cost in maintenance.

I guess my army size might be to blame, but I think it's reasonable compared to how large I am. I can't see how much it's costing, because (and here's where my post might be relevant to the thread) the "Financial Advisor" Tab is completely empty.

I'm managing to beat down the AI anyway and razed many cities (I kept only those that had several wonders in them) but it's not really fun to be at 0% research and to have my cities produce 34% Wealth in order to not go bankrupt.

In the "1.24 Released" thread Xyth posted a financial adviser fix (post #7). If you're at war with everyone it might be tough to keep up your economy because you have no foreign trade routes to generate wealth. Also army maintenance can get really out of hand especially if your civics increase unit cost, so maybe check those too. IMO I think trade routes are the best way to generate wealth so I'd try building some buildings like lighthouses and stables to increase your trade routes per city. Right now you only have domestic trade routes, but opening up to foreign trade will almost always give your economy a boost

Also, the statistics at end of game has not been working-- displays the number of settlers but no other unit types.

Building and unit stats are broken on the Info Screen as well. It's on my todo list but probably won't be fixed in 1.24.1 as I want to have that out before Xmas.

Temporary fix for the Financial Advisor is here, proper fix (and overhaul) coming soon in 1.24.1.

Thanks a lot for the fix!

Indeed, I've been warmongering a lot and have no foreign trade routes.

My economy eventually slowly caught up, after I managed to research Riding (Stable, +1 Trade Route) and Navigation (Lighthouse, +2 Trade Routes) which allowed me to go just over the terrible state of "10% research and half of my cities producing 34% wealth".

I'm catching up in technology now. I guess I should have been a bit more diplomatic!

Okay, so now that my Financial Advisor works, I found out what was costing me so much money... Inflation.

I have 96% inflation now and it's costing me approximately as much as my city maintenance + civic maintenance combined. Damn. I guess being at 0 or 10% research for too long has meant too much inflation.

It's been a fun run anyway, I've done a fair lot of warmongering. I'm gonna start a new game and be more cautious of my finances...

Okay, so now that my Financial Advisor works, I found out what was costing me so much money... Inflation.

I have 96% inflation now and it's costing me approximately as much as my city maintenance + civic maintenance combined. Damn. I guess being at 0 or 10% research for too long has meant too much inflation.

It's been a fun run anyway, I've done a fair lot of warmongering. I'm gonna start a new game and be more cautious of my finances...

You'll be pleased to know that inflation is being removed entirely in 1.24.1. There's a complicated bug causing it to be higher than intended, and rather than fix it I decided to eliminate it instead. Civic Upkeep and/or maintenance will be increased a bit to compensate (still determining), but costs overall will lower than they are currently.

You'll be pleased to know that inflation is being removed entirely in 1.24.1. There's a complicated bug causing it to be higher than intended, and rather than fix it I decided to eliminate it instead. Civic Upkeep and/or maintenance will be increased a bit to compensate (still determining), but costs overall will lower than they are currently.

Yay!

I assume Inflation is increased by having the Commerce -> Wealth % high for too long, but I guess it's inevitable for that to happen in your mod since Cottages are unlocked later.

Top Bottom