Troubleshooting Connectivity

Both PitBoss and the normal game use peer-to-peer communications - 2056/UDP must be open on *all* members of the game (including Pitboss, who is basically an 'invisible player').

I hit that last night setting up PitBoss with my dad - he'd connect, but then immiediate get kicked back to the setup screen. Once he forwarded 2056/udp from his firewall to his game box, all was well.

Mad props to the PitBoss authors; we played a lot of Civ3 multiplayer, and this feels a lot smoother. (I'm running PB on a dual P3-700, 1gig RAM)

>Once he forwarded 2056/udp from his firewall to his game box, all was well.

well....if so..thats a bit of a game breaker for me ...

1st, i aint forwarding ANY port through my firewall for any game...

2nd, even if I did, LOL, which one of us gets the love? i have a home lan with multiple systems that we play on. so what..only 1 person in our house can play internet based games?

pitboss should be the focal point, removing the need for any peer to peer type of connections.

I'm gonna test this myself *hopeing* your wrong.

1. Hard to me to believe is that everybody is having the same problems and the explanation is the same for all! Why don´t Firaxis make good drivers for our old routers? Didn´t we pay the full price?

2. I really don´t know why they didn´t answer the e-mail that we sent. It´s an injustified agression to ask about their bad-coded product?

3. For me, this explaination is just one more excuse for the big **** that they did in this patch. Before the patch, only a few couldn´t conect. Now, just one "bad router" guy in your game and you can´t join anymore!

4. I´ve paid +- 150USD at all to have this game in my banana Republic country. Transportation by UPS, the game and taxes, hoping that I would have some enjoyable time with friends. Now, my parter is the "contacting peer" message.

5. Now, the worst: I can´t sue the company, coz I live in Brazil! So, great! just lost money :goodjob:

Anybody looking for Ip to Ip, please, contact me:

E-mail: arthur_rodrigues@yahoo.com
MSN: arthur_rodrigues@hotmail.com

Arthur

Hey all !

First I wanna say its a real sad statement, I would rather hear FIREAXIS admit they did a bad job with this peer to peer (ptp) thingy, especially in trusting in GAMESPY to be able to handle this. Blaming the users (customers) for false settings or running standard and most common firewallprograms isnt very supportive.
Instead that wasted "interview" between FIREAXIS and GAMESPY simply says you did a good job and you dont know what that talk about "connecting problems" is about - it must be a minor thing surely, some players doing something wrong. Thats about the essence of that what I have read - but then criticism from a GAMESPY supported game, reviewed by a GAMESPY employee couldnt be expected.

For those who wonder - GAMESPY has been contracted by FIREAXIS so its clear who is responsible to fix this major problem yet so far all I can get is smooth talk and some honeymilk. Since FIREAXIS is already working on an addon which will surely drain your coffers some more I strongly recommend they rather start working on patches seriously NOW ! :mad:

So to not leave this table as a troublemaker I will quickly say how I encountered the devil in ptp :

:confused:
If I play the game (MP via Internet) early in the day (like till 2pm European time) when the lobby isnt overcrowded (GAMESPY isnt at its peak) the connectivity problem simply isnt there. I can host - I can join - no problems at all . The more players join the browser the harder it gets till its nearly impossible to play a game.

So I suggest either talking to GAMESPY about that, only FIREAXIS can put that gun against their head, or even think about bringing up some server-based solution (or enable dedicated hosts) and skip the ptp finally.

yeah well thanks for reading this and good luck with ya connections :lol:

PS: I dont own a router, just use a dsl modem - that means I do fine with the *.ini based port 2056
and I suggest any "port based" solutions should be fixed by a patch which adds any of them to the *.ini file automatically.

kattana said:
well....if so..thats a bit of a game breaker for me ...

1st, i aint forwarding ANY port through my firewall for any game...

Depends on what you're using. I forward port 2056 to my PB server only if it comes from his IP. If you've got the ability to filter by IP/subnet, it's no real big deal.

kattana said:
2nd, even if I did, LOL, which one of us gets the love? i have a home lan with multiple systems that we play on. so what..only 1 person in our house can play internet based games?

Because of NAT, unfortunately, 1 side of the equation can only have one game running. If the Pit was in your network, then all your machines could play, and one machine per remote site could also play (due to the port forwarding).

To do anything beyond that (a 3 on 3 game from different sites) you'd need to use VPN. It looks like WinXP has VPN serving built in (the first site I found about it is http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm).

Multiple machines could connect to a VPN server (it'd prolly be best to run it on the machine doing PitBoss) and you'd all be on the same virtual network, eliminating the need to port forward *and* providing better security in the process.

I haven't tried it myself. I'd been wanting to VPN our networks together for various reasons beyond Civ4, but when I get a chance I'll try it.

I'm sure it sounds complicated, but hey. I've got to VPN to a network I manage to simply check email, so there's lesser applications than Civ4 that have to make use of it. ;)

oka let me know what about firewall in windows xp should i switch off as well???

>Because of NAT, unfortunately, 1 side of the equation can only have one game running. If the Pit was in your network, then all your machines could play, and one machine per remote site could also play (due to the port forwarding).

yeah...you see thats the sticking point. Originally the "plan" was to place pitboss up on a dedicated hosted server, but that seems shot to hell now.

1) no remote admin abilities, but that *could* have been over come by using VNC or such...

2) our circle has a few households with multiple people that would be playing at the same time...nothing more fun then playing with those you love, with ..or against..LOL but that aint going to work now..so thats the killer.

we will continue to play lan based games, but we were hoping to expand our playing times with the above setup as we cant always be at one anothers place.

hopefully they will patch the game and pitboss to make it a true client/server setup if needed.

kattana said:
yeah...you see thats the sticking point. Originally the "plan" was to place pitboss up on a dedicated hosted server, but that seems shot to hell now.
Cant you just set up pitboss to to use another port by editing the ini file?
If that doesnt work then you can certainly change the port for the normal clients.

bullfeathers, bullfeathers, bullfeathers!

I don't know when or where you do your testing, Firaxis, but its time to come out into the real world. Try Gamespy at peak hours. You may then understand the frustation that many of us are having. Firewalls may be a cause, but it is not the only problem.

kattana said:
i'd like to confirm that when running the pitboss, its the sole connection point and therefore there is no need for the peer to peer type connections between the individual players, correct?

if so, then firewall issues become moot for those that use pitboss.

Yes and no, if you are the only one connecting to the Pitboss then yes, you don't have to worry about any other connections. But if you happen to login at the same time as one or several other players pitboss games act the same as a standard MP game for peer to peer connection mechanics.

CS

kattana said:
>Because of NAT, unfortunately, 1 side of the equation can only have one game running. If the Pit was in your network, then all your machines could play, and one machine per remote site could also play (due to the port forwarding).

1) no remote admin abilities, but that *could* have been over come by using VNC or such...

2) our circle has a few households with multiple people that would be playing at the same time...nothing more fun then playing with those you love, with ..or against..LOL but that aint going to work now..so thats the killer.

we will continue to play lan based games, but we were hoping to expand our playing times with the above setup as we cant always be at one anothers place.

hopefully they will patch the game and pitboss to make it a true client/server setup if needed.

Well I very much doubt that Pitboss will ever be a true server(ie hosted by Firaxis) the way you want, sorry.

I'm not sure why you have issues with forwarding ports, it's not like any other programs use the same port as Civ4 and you can use what ever port you want for pitboss if you don't like 2056, just change it in the ini.

As to multiple people playing from there LAN's into a pitboss hosted on your LAN, that is possible but each of the computers on the other LAN will have to use different ports(ie 2056, 2057, 2058..) so that your pitboss app can tell them apart even though they have same internet IP.

CS

dustindollar said:
bullfeathers, bullfeathers, bullfeathers!

I don't know when or where you do your testing, Firaxis, but its time to come out into the real world. Try Gamespy at peak hours. You may then understand the frustation that many of us are having. Firewalls may be a cause, but it is not the only problem.

Firaxis knows very well the problems in the lobby, and it may very well be that Gamespy is part of the problem, but when Firaxis asks them and they say no we are fine and it's got to be all your problem, Firaxis can do one of two things, eliminate any possible issues with the game and peoples configurations to the point were they can come back and prove to GS that it's not game code or player configuration problem, or they can just yell "liarl liar, pants on fire" and well that likely won't get very far.

Soren's advisory is just an attempt to adress the issues to remove GS from causing the problems as much as possible for as many people as possible. If the GS NAT negotiation system worked flawlessly 100% of the time we wouldn't ever have to worry about ports at all. GS claims that it will work in 90% of firewall situations, but that means in a 5 player game you have a 50/50 chance that one play will have issues with another player, and that's assuming you totolly believe the 90% figure and that the GS NAT servers respond instantaniously to ever request made.

It's likely that Firaxis will be able to convince GS to increase bandwidth eventually but getting enough proof takes time, and most if not all bugs that have been identified in 1.52 are well on the way to being fixed for the next patch, but there is no way to "fix" in code problems with peak times on the GS servers.

CS

Soren,

I have 2 copies of Civ 4, 2 computers, and 2 separate DSL lines on two different phone numbers.

Plugging both computers directly into the DSL line and completely disabling the windows firewalls. No antivirus, no antispyware, nothing but a raw win xp install on both systems.

Test #1

1) Computer 1 hosts.
2) Someone joins. There is now 1 host, 1 peer showing on the hosted computer, and on the Gamespy list.
3) I go to join on my second computer. I get a "contacting host" and it connects. I get "contacting peer" and it connects. I then get "contacting peer" AGAIN even though there isn't even a third person in the game! I am looking at the host computer screen and there are only 2 people there. If I cancel and look at the gamespy list, there are only 2/6 in the game with the third person not even showing up.

How could a nonexistant peer be causing an error?

I can duplicate this error - and have MANY times - just ask all the people in my games that I host when I tell them "let me check to see if we have a stuck peer, trying to log in on my second system."

Another thing I tested

Plugged both computers into a router that has a built in firewall. In addition, I turned on the win xp firewall on both systems (with the default of civ 4 as an exception.) I have the UDP port 2056 forwarded to the host computer.

1) Computer 1 hosts.
2) Someone joins.
3) Someone else joins.
4) I connect fine with computer #2.

Game starts and plays normally. Port 2056 is forwarded to one computer, yet I can still play on a second computer, going through the same router, with the same internet connection. Kinda strange telling us we have to forward a port when I can connect without the port being forwarded.

Final Observations & WORKING SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM!!!

While the firewall issues may be causing a very small amount of the problems on the net, you should have a built in CHECK in Civ 4 to prevent these people from even attempting to join a multiplayer game.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION!

Quite simply - you think its the firewall from this post. Have Civ 4 do something like E-Mule does, where it goes to a webpage that tests and checks to make sure all necessary ports are open. It should do this EVERY time someone clicks the multiplayer link, so if settings change, it will catch it.

If the results come back as negative that the ports are not open, then you KNOW they will have issues joining and cause issues in multiplayer games. When this happens, automatically take them to a webpage that tells them what they have to fix.

If the results come back as positive that the proper ports are open in their firewall, let them into the multiplayer lobby so they can join games.

This is a LOGICAL solution to the problem. If what you say about this whole issue being firewall related is correct, it will fix it 100%.

It doesn't answer the question why at 2 AM EST on a weekday virtually EVERYONE can connect, but during prime time at 9 PM EST virtually NO ONE can connect to anything. It doesn't answer the question why myself and 4 friends can connect fine at 2 AM but we can't join each other at 9 PM. How is this a firewall issue? It works at some hours for the EXACT same people with the EXACT same configuration, but during prime time it doesn't?

When you add the check I mentioned above and find that it doesn't solve it, then we all will know you were blowing smoke up our #%$# and that the problem was in faulty code, or in gamespy and you are just blaming the user to try and make it look like this fixes something.

So, are you willing to add this type of code, or afraid we will see the real problem has NOTHING to do with our configurations (as my multiple tests with 2 comps, 2 DSL, and 2 games has clearly shown.)

Let me know!
~Zy

CIVILIZATION 4 - THE FIRST CIVILIZATION BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP WITH MULTIPLAYER IN MIND! *cough* Bullsh.... well, you know, contacting peer can be considered a multiplayer game?

Zyekad said:
Soren,

I have 2 copies of Civ 4, 2 computers, and 2 separate DSL lines on two different phone numbers.

Plugging both computers directly into the DSL line and completely disabling the windows firewalls. No antivirus, no antispyware, nothing but a raw win xp install on both systems.

Test #1

1) Computer 1 hosts.
2) Someone joins. There is now 1 host, 1 peer showing on the hosted computer, and on the Gamespy list.
3) I go to join on my second computer. I get a "contacting host" and it connects. I get "contacting peer" and it connects. I then get "contacting peer" AGAIN even though there isn't even a third person in the game! I am looking at the host computer screen and there are only 2 people there. If I cancel and look at the gamespy list, there are only 2/6 in the game with the third person not even showing up.

How could a nonexistant peer be causing an error?

I can duplicate this error - and have MANY times - just ask all the people in my games that I host when I tell them "let me check to see if we have a stuck peer, trying to log in on my second system."

Another thing I tested

Plugged both computers into a router that has a built in firewall. In addition, I turned on the win xp firewall on both systems (with the default of civ 4 as an exception.) I have the UDP port 2056 forwarded to the host computer.

1) Computer 1 hosts.
2) Someone joins.
3) Someone else joins.
4) I connect fine with computer #2.

Game starts and plays normally. Port 2056 is forwarded to one computer, yet I can still play on a second computer, going through the same router, with the same internet connection. Kinda strange telling us we have to forward a port when I can connect without the port being forwarded.

Final Observations & WORKING SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM!!!

While the firewall issues may be causing a very small amount of the problems on the net, you should have a built in CHECK in Civ 4 to prevent these people from even attempting to join a multiplayer game.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION!

Quite simply - you think its the firewall from this post. Have Civ 4 do something like E-Mule does, where it goes to a webpage that tests and checks to make sure all necessary ports are open. It should do this EVERY time someone clicks the multiplayer link, so if settings change, it will catch it.

If the results come back as negative that the ports are not open, then you KNOW they will have issues joining and cause issues in multiplayer games. When this happens, automatically take them to a webpage that tells them what they have to fix.

If the results come back as positive that the proper ports are open in their firewall, let them into the multiplayer lobby so they can join games.

This is a LOGICAL solution to the problem. If what you say about this whole issue being firewall related is correct, it will fix it 100%.

It doesn't answer the question why at 2 AM EST on a weekday virtually EVERYONE can connect, but during prime time at 9 PM EST virtually NO ONE can connect to anything. It doesn't answer the question why myself and 4 friends can connect fine at 2 AM but we can't join each other at 9 PM. How is this a firewall issue? It works at some hours for the EXACT same people with the EXACT same configuration, but during prime time it doesn't?

When you add the check I mentioned above and find that it doesn't solve it, then we all will know you were blowing smoke up our #%$# and that the problem was in faulty code, or in gamespy and you are just blaming the user to try and make it look like this fixes something.

So, are you willing to add this type of code, or afraid we will see the real problem has NOTHING to do with our configurations (as my multiple tests with 2 comps, 2 DSL, and 2 games has clearly shown.)

Let me know!
~Zy

CIVILIZATION 4 - THE FIRST CIVILIZATION BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP WITH MULTIPLAYER IN MIND! *cough* Bullsh.... well, you know, contacting peer can be considered a multiplayer game?

Zy, Soren never said that firewalls were everyones problems nor that it won't work if you do nothing to your firewall, infact Firaxis decided to jump at using the GS NAT solution to limit unconfigured firewall problems to a minimum, so you, and many others, may very well connect to games with everything left unopened. But that is not the case for everyone and Soren is trying to eliminate the obvious while collecting his evidence to fix any/all problems. Your individual test is nice but it hardly provides Firaxis with a large chunk of data of millions of users, so I wouldn't start jumping to conclusions based on what really is your personal opinion, knowledge is power after all.

CS

CanuckSoldier said:
Well I very much doubt that Pitboss will ever be a true server(ie hosted by Firaxis) the way you want, sorry.

I don't think he want's a server hosted by Firaxis, but rather that pitboss was client/server rather than a headless peer running the game. i.e. if I and two others were playing a pitboss game at the same time, each of us would only be communicating to the pitboss server. This is similar to the way a quake server works.

CanuckSoldier said:
I'm not sure why you have issues with forwarding ports, it's not like any other programs use the same port as Civ4 and you can use what ever port you want for pitboss if you don't like 2056, just change it in the ini.

As to multiple people playing from there LAN's into a pitboss hosted on your LAN, that is possible but each of the computers on the other LAN will have to use different ports(ie 2056, 2057, 2058..) so that your pitboss app can tell them apart even though they have same internet IP.

What exactly do you need to do to change the port you use in MP games? Edit an .ini file? If that's the answer you may want to add to the wishlist for the next patch that this be acessable via a GUI screen.

It sounds like Civ4 really needs better error messages. I've never had problems with MP before, but from what it sounds like the error messages says something like "can't connect" with no blame given. If you join a game and there are 4 users, and you can't connect to user Foo at IP xx.xx.xx.xx then it should say so. That way you can at least tell Foo to get his act together and fix his firewall.

PhamNuwen said:
It sounds like Civ4 really needs better error messages. I've never had problems with MP before, but from what it sounds like the error messages says something like "can't connect" with no blame given. If you join a game and there are 4 users, and you can't connect to user Foo at IP xx.xx.xx.xx then it should say so. That way you can at least tell Foo to get his act together and fix his firewall.

Well pitboss is just an extention of the core MP code so to change pitboss to act like a Quake Server is no small change in the existing code, maybe it could happen but it's not a quick fix. Civ is a peer to peer game at it's core, perhaps the dev's wish they could change that, but it's far to late now anyway, at the very least nothing that is that level of change will likely happen until a XP comes out to justify the labour required to do that.

Yes better/more informative error messages are on the "wish list" for the next patch, Firaxis is well aware that knowing which peer has the problems, will help with game troubleshooting and well as finding those people with really bad situations that will help us make the game better in the future. I can't promise any timelines however.

Yes there are alot of settings available in the "CivilizationIV.ini", a shortcut to this(_CIVConfig) exists in your main Civ4 folder(were you installed Civ4). The switch is in the [debug] section and is tittled "; NetComm Port" followed by "Port = 2056" by default. Just edit the number and save(it opens as a text file in notepad). I'm not sure that a GUI is really required for things that should only be changed by someone that is computer literate, ie if you have constructed your own home LAN, setup a router and require to manipulate the ports, changing a ini is likely well within your comfort zone already. Putting something like this in a GUI will just have people without the knowledge to use it playing with it without knowing what they are doing, atleast IMHO.

CS

You seem to have a lot of information Canuck; thats cool. I also agree with most of your statements; thanx.

It would have been nice if Firaxis had simply told us that they are trying their best to solve the problem asap, instead of what they said. There is no doubt they are trying (they even contacted me directly), but its not clear how far they are in even identifying what is wrong. I think the main problem they are facing is replicating the problem at their location. One obvious thing for them to do is come online as a player, face the problem, and debug it. One would assume they do, but if they do, tell me who they are, cuz I certainly never met one. Im not talking about testers, because testers are not network developers/debuggers. The right people need to come online and play the game, even let us know who they are, face the problem and debug it.

In general, I find that the problem for me starts at 7pm PST. I also find that I am one of those that are most severely affected.

salqadri said:
You seem to have a lot of information Canuck; thats cool. I also agree with most of your statements; thanx.

It would have been nice if Firaxis had simply told us that they are trying their best to solve the problem asap, instead of what they said. There is no doubt they are trying (they even contacted me directly), but its not clear how far they are in even identifying what is wrong. I think the main problem they are facing is replicating the problem at their location. One obvious thing for them to do is come online as a player, face the problem, and debug it. One would assume they do, but if they do, tell me who they are, cuz I certainly never met one. Im not talking about testers, because testers are not network developers/debuggers. The right people need to come online and play the game, even let us know who they are, face the problem and debug it.

In general, I find that the problem for me starts at 7pm PST. I also find that I am one of those that are most severely affected.

You'd be susprised who's playing games online :p But you can only do so much in the uncontrolled environment of the open lobby. To pin point any code problems requires that the error be reproduced in controlled enviroment that lets the QA testers say that there is no other factors interfering with the test. Then the programmers can pounce on the issue *knowing* that they are doing the correct thing and not just shooting in the dark.

Ofcourse Firaxis dev's aren't going to play games using there public names, they'd never get any testing done, and you wouldn't know a Firaxis or 2K tester by name anyway, and us beta testers are hardly celebrities, but you can say hi if you see me in the lobby :p

CS

Top Bottom