1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to get back into Civ IV

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by CELTICEMPIRE, May 19, 2018.

1. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

Thanks for your analysis. Though part of the reason much of my empire lacks improvements is because of recent pillaging. It's hard to trade when everyone (except Asoka) seems to hate me. Now that I got free religion that might change.

2. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Free religion? You shoul not need it. Work on diplomacy. Work on military.
    So +4 relations from gifting techs. +2-4 from shared civics. +1-2 from gifting resources. Shared wars too.

The reason everyon hates you if you have adopted a religion. Also if yopu have a low power rating AI are more likely to attack.

Don't let the AI come in an pillage you. If you see them waitinmg to attack you then whip units. 6-7 unit stacks is nothing!

Early game you want about 1 worker to each city. If your cities are spread out then you might need more.

I couldn't load your save as I have permission issues and login required. Weird.

3. CELTICEMPIRE

Well, some things came up and I didn't play much Civ for a week. But I came back and won the game. It was really fun. Kublai was destroyed and Monty became my vassal. I like that feature of the game. Sadly I accidentally overwrote the save file:sad:.

4. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Autosave?

5. CELTICEMPIRE

Sadly I accidentally overwrote the save file with a Russian game on noble I played right afterwards (and won).

6. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Time to move up to prince or Monarch?

7. CELTICEMPIRE

Maybe after I beat Noble on the largest map size. Traditionally I do that before moving on.

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Time to get Civ IV Complete so you can play BTS. I'm keeping an eye out on sales for you.

CELTICEMPIRE likes this.
  9. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

10. lymond

Now that”s cheap!

11. CELTICEMPIRE

I just got the game, I'm going to have to uninstall Civ V to make room on my laptop. Fortunately I'm getting a better computer soon.

12. CELTICEMPIRE

Downloading the game now, thanks for the link. Now I really wish I had a time machine to go back and request today off from work.

13. lymond

Great news Celt! I’ll add some advice later re steam version

@CELTICEMPIRE

Okay..a few pieces of advice on the steam version:

1) You only need to install BTS. Each version of IV is standalone in Steam.

2) Once installed, go to BTS in the Steam Library > right click properties> Betas tab > from dropdown select "original_release_unsupported". Steam will reinstall BTS.

(note: Steam's original version of BTS included some modifications to enable their multiplayer platform for IV. However, after complaints that it conflicted with mods, Steam released the beta version to the original game specifications)

3) Always run BTS from the executable in the BTS folder (something like Programs/Steam/Steamapps/Common/BTS/BTS. Do not run from the Steam Library. You can pin the BTS folder to your quick access menu in Explorer. I recommend setting the BTS executable to "run as administrator" in Properties>Compatibility tab

(Note: That is not a mistake with BTS/BTS...there is a high level BTS and low level BTS folder. The low level is the true BTS folder and mods must be pointed there. (the high level contains the vanilla assets to make the steam version "standalone")

4) I recommend installing BUG/BULL and BAT mods which you can find here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/download-bug-and-bat-here.274636/

BUG/BULL install in custom assets (SP install mode) and is often used in forum games. Installed in custom assets means that is always present just loading the game ..no need to load a mod.. BAT mod is a standalone mod. It is basically BUG/BULL plus Blue Marble and other graphic enhancements. It's my mod of choice for casual games and can be used with any forum games that include a World Builder save.

5) In addition, you can install Blue Marble separately. It installs to custom assets and will always be present and it does not conflict with other mods. Nice graphic enhancement to the game - terrain, water, etc. In addition, you can change the color of the interface.

http://www.civfanatics.net/bluemarble/content/index.php

Note that in order to install Blue Marble for Steam BTS, the mod needs to "see" the vanilla IV executable. What I did is copied the executable over to the BTS folder. However, you would need to install IV to do that. If you don't want to do that, I will attach a copy of it here.

6) Lastly, you may at some point want to start playing HOF games and GOTM games. A mod called BUFFY is used for both. BUFFY is also BUG/BULL plus the HOF mod for checking.

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php

The HOF team is in the process of releasing a final version of BUFFY soon as well to bring it up-to-date

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    davelisowski and CELTICEMPIRE like this.
  14. lymond

For some reason I could not attach the file while editing the last post, so I'm attaching here.

Attached Files:

CELTICEMPIRE likes this.
  15. CELTICEMPIRE

Thanks, though it looks like I won't have any time to play today.

16. CELTICEMPIRE

Played the game for a few minutes. So this was the game that had the "Native American" civilization. Nevertheless, it seems fun. The WWII scenarios look promising.

17. CELTICEMPIRE

Well, due to some computer issues, I don't think I'll be playing this one until I get a new computer (which should be soon).