TSG13 After Action Report

Expanded too rapidly, let my army get thin and got wiped out by a dual declaration from Wu and Caesar at about 1200 BC. I conscripted some goons, but they had no chance against 4 legions and 4 horsemen.

Overall an exciting and fun game. I will keep my after action report short, since I am on vacation. Played the last 100 turns on my girlfriends lappy, in strategic mode. Seems to run a lot faster there. Also unlocked Tomb Raider and Empire of the East achivements. :)
Spoiler :

After conquering Rome and most of America I ran into happiness problems. China dowed me, so over and take the chokecity from her. Then over to stop Arabia from running over Ghandi completely. Then having a big fight with egypt that got cut short because Arabia wanted a piece of me again. Egypt ended up being conquered by Japan twenty or so turns before I won.
I was very bad at taking notes and so, so not much details to go with. Had four core cities(whereof two were more or less useless), ended up building all parts save one booster in two cities. Timed it very well with acquiring the techs though, Capital built most parts. Had help with GA for all the spaceshipparts. Only did Hard researching, built oxford and poped two great scientists late game which probably saved me 12-15 turns.
Got 18 cities in all, 14 of which were puppets.
Policies I went with Tradition started a few in liberty and went patrionage for scholanticism. Then into Commerce and order for production. Policies after that for filling out the already opened trees and increas happy mostly. Probably would have been faster with rationalism than order though, with all my TP'ed puppets.

Lets put some pictures too:
Spoiler :

Think I will wait until I get back to Sweden before starting off on TSG14. I enjoyed this one very much, a lot of warmongering for a change. :)

quite an interesting game...
got beat to two wonders: Chichen and Taj, on the turn i would build them, i think i liked it better when those ties were resolved in players favour. does anyone know how that works?:confused:

even with those wonders i dont think i could shave off more then 6 turns. I got wedded to the idea of legalism trick, and waited sooo long to build wats, i got other culture buildings from RAs and didnt even get a single wat out of the deal. what a waste :crazyeye:

i got DOWed more then in any other game, Americans twice, romans egypt, india and arabia. i am sure china would have joined too if i didnt dow them first, i wanted those pyramids they built. at one point i think i had 4 AI against me, but they were their usual inept selves. too bad it cost me 3 or 4 RAs at a crucial time, i think these would have speeded things up by a number of turns.

still quite a fun game, and i must say i am pleased i ended placing my cities in same spots Dave McW had his, so i must be doing smething right, now if i could find a way to lose those 70 turns off the clock :p......

This was my first science game, and also the first game I spent a lengthy amount of time in the modern/future eras. I learnt a lot.

I tried the wats strategy, but must have buggered up the blocking technique because my culture was outpacing my science. I ended up having to waste a policy or 2 because i didn't have education, and hadn't got to the medieval age yet. So i eventially got my free wats, but it took much longer than I wanted. I also thought it would be silly to ignore Siam's special ability so I was agressive in buying the loyalty of cultural city states. Policies were focused on patronage 1st (up to scholasticism), and then rationalism.

My first play through seemed to be going smoothly; I had good relations and was scientifically advanced. However, I've now learnt that being friendly isn't enough- you have to have a defensive force as well. Washington was a constant pain in the ass- DOWing so he could invade my allied CSs that were near his boarders. He eventually did pick them off 1 by 1. First lesson- if you are relying on CSs, you must help defend them because they are pretty incompetent defending themselves against motivated Civs.

Washington's war mongering eventually brought him to my boarders so I had to forgo spaceship oriented construction to try and hold him off. Unfortunately, I had neglected production capacity and military units for growth and science so this was difficult. The end came when Arabia DOWed me with a massive and advanced invasion force. He had been my best friend up until then, but I probably should have seen it coming as he steam rolled India, and China on the way to owning half the globe. He took my financial city (surrounded by spices and gems) easily, which bankrupted me in one stroke. Even worse, this city had my uranium resource, and was lost one turn before I finished building 2 nukes. As a result, I learnt the following lessons:
- dont trust anybody. Friends will turn.
- don't neglect your defenses, which also means don't neglect production capacity.
- do share around the research agreements. I think one of the reasons Arabia got so powerful was because I prefered him to my closer neighbours when signing RAs and trading. Now I think you need to share the wealth around. It is generally better to keep all the Civs in the game at similar strength rather than help a monster to develop.

I know it is against the GOTM rules, but these are just practice games and I didn't want to waste however many hours i spent on this, so I went back in time and restarted from about 1700 before Washington got his role on. This time I focused a couple of cities on military production, bought off Ragusa to ensure I had coal and oil supplies, and helped guard Florence with naval and artillary units. I also had constant defensive pacts with Japan to make my eastern neighbours think twice. Washington still took out Rome, but wasn't able to make inroads against my allies. I also focused on RA's with India, to help him keep parity with Arabia, which seemed to work. China again fell (to Egypt) but India maintained its territory. So with just a little more focus on military, and being a friend to all, the game progressed much more smoothly, and I got my victory. Wasn't fast by any means, but it was a fun game and like I said at the start, I learnt a lot.

I also had to play a couple of more turns after victory just so I could Nuke Washington. I'm spiteful like that. :satan:

I tried this, did 5 Cities which been well placed I think - 1 ne, 1 on marble, 1 east (had access to like 4 Lux after baorder expand) and 1 west
Did - Monument-scout-lib-NC-3 Settler + free while buying few units and a worker with money (stole 2 workers)
got Wats with legaalism at about turn 85 whats decently fast I guess.

So all in all really good game with fast start and all - then I did conquer some CHinease cities (not cap) with lot good tiles and built lots of trade posts - had a time with 150g/t and like 250 bakkers at turn 150.

Had even RAs going - but finishing this in turn 220 - seems just impossible on 1. playthrough - as everythign d have to be perfekt - and well - some civs been brokken here and so .... for coal I could had to declare another war making all other civs unfriendly .... think I d have finsihed sub 250 - whats allready really good imo

Top Bottom