TSG40 After Action Report

I can't believe how fast some players finish.

I got too caught up on wars. At least I got revenge on a few civs. The worst part of the game was when I was sending my army to Ethiopia in the water, and Sweden decided to declare war and killed my army, and he was friendly at the time. I wiped him out first, then Ethiopia. :)

All in all, I enjoyed it. And it was my first complete game for G&K.

@ Ribannah

T150 I can follow your pace in tech. and policies but Sweden, Carthage and Maya still hates me so no open border.... :9

sounds wrong but the way civ5 works its often best to just dow some1 who dont like you - there is a pretty good change he becomes suddenly friend with u after you made peace later

at least its worth a try - just doing nothing ll hardly change the status

I was nasty and dowed all ais to get gold for settlers ...
With nasty do u mean phony war?
Exploit involving trading for Lump Sums of Gold
Systematically making and breaking agreements for lump sums of gold with the AIs is not allowed. It is considered an exploit when there is a clear pattern of activity beyond normal play.

Examples of tactics used:
  • Repeatedly selling a resource (luxury, strategic, etc.) and pillaging or allowing Barbarians or other civs to pillage the resource or trade route to break the deal.
  • Repeatedly selling a resource (luxury, strategic, etc.) and declaring war or otherwise bringing about a war that breaks the deal. (i.e. a phony war just to break the deal.)
  • Repeatedly selling Gold per Turn (GPT) and declaring war or otherwise bringing about a war that breaks the deal. (i.e. a phony war just to break the deal.)
  • Repeatedly selling Cities and declaring war or otherwise bringing about a war so you can take them back. (i.e. low risk, low cost war just retrieve the cities for resale to another civ.)
guess gl about turn 33 pyras turn 48 or so and NC 10 turns after - did it with 2 ciites and bought 2 more settlers which planted right after its finish - this seems pretty optimal to me
Did you build first settlers or was all 3 result of DoW money?

Moderator Action: Asking a question is fair but this sounds like an accusation? Please do not accuse others.

tommynt - really very impressive. I wouldn't have thought sub-200 was possible. Interesting to see what you say about RAs too; I don't understand the maths, but I was assuming that they would still be strong.

Robert Smith - that quote is from the HoF thread. It's not clear to me whether any similar rules apply to GOTMs. The introductory posts seem to imply that the only forbidden exploit is building Oxford more than once. I personally avoid moves I consider cheesy, but opinions can reasonably differ.

With nasty do u mean phony war?
Did you build first settlers or was all 3 result of DoW money?

Moderator Action: Asking a question is fair but this sounds like an accusation? Please do not accuse others.
It's an entirely different game than what Civ5 is to me, so I don't see this as a comparison game anyway.

There is a huge bug in after-war deals that can be exploited, too.
But, no thanks.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 40
Date submitted: 2012-07-25
Reference number: 26685
Your name: Flaxton

Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1915AD
Turns played: 335
Base score: 1197
Final score: 1786
Time played: 10:04:00

First ever GOTM, learnt some stuff!

Normally don't do science victories so was great for focusing my attention on science. Was peaceful for the entire game - a first for me.

SP: Tradition, some Patronism and then rationalism.
4 cities.
Religion: Goddess of the Hunt, Interfaith Dialogue, Cathedrals, Cheap missionaries, etc, really should have got a money generating aspect.

My biggest mistake which slowed me down... not building enough workers and letting them run on auto. Huge mistake - found out I had built loads of woodmills when I really needed farms and trading posts. Consequence - I grew cities too slowly and always suffered for money, which could have been used for city state bonuses. Also should have sold off resources (horses etc), which I never did - bad habit.

Good fun though - want more GOTM!

Originally Posted by Denniz
Exploit involving trading for Lump Sums of Gold

I am pretty positive that a clear exploit d have been patched away in an expansion.

AI is dumb in a 1000 ways, u can hardly argue that using its dumbness to your advantage in 1 way is wrong but in others its OK.
Or dont you kill AIs units even when getting outnumbered totaly just because you are sorry for ai being dumb?

In this expansion dowing a AI once in whole game means pretty much no Friendship for rest of game both with this one civ and with all its friends, so its a pretty costy decision to DOW.

but this has really been discussed often enough.

It's an entirely different game than what Civ5 is to me, so I don't see this as a comparison game anyway.

why be mad?

There is a huge bug in after-war deals that can be exploited, too.
But, no thanks.

I havent seen a single offer of gold for peace by AI in any G+K game

I dont see a game of civ as a huge hugfest but as a simulation of building up a civilisation, and war is part of that - just a have a look into human history

Date submitted: 2012-08-03
Reference number: 26775
Your name: LeonidAgonistes
Game date: 1878AD
Turns played: 310
Base score: 1076
Final score: 1763
Time played: 6:07:00
Submitted save: TSG40_0310 AD-1880-Leonid.Civ5Save

This is my first GOTM, although I've been playing Civ since Civ I back in the 1990s.

Good game. I pushed for the Great Library early, and focused thereafter on a GS push. I settled 6, and bulbed at least 6 more. After this game I think the Research Agreement mechanism is broken. I sent the spaceship to Alpha Centauri, just as the AIs were getting Gatling Guns. I think this was mostly just Luck, and no AI singled me out for denunciation and I was able to form RAs with every race. Religion helped me here, as I formed the first Religion (Druids) and took Tithe allowing me to amass a war chest of thousands to pay for the RAs later in the game.

After winning, I nuked a Swedish owned Geneva, just to pick up the Achievement.

I think I could have shaved at least 15 turns off the time, If I would have used my last great engineer on the Hubble Telescope, instead of the Sydney Opera House. Having never finished with a Science Victory on G & K, I didn't think about the need for Aluminium for the win, so I traded it off to the Ethopians for Cash. I waited 10 turns after the Apollo program to just start building the parts, while the Aluminium trade expired.

Great fun.

This is my first GOTM, although I've been playing Civ since Civ I back in the 1990s.
Welcome to CivFanatcis and GOTM. Glad you joined up and play the GOTM. :goodjob:

Congrats on your win.

why be mad?
What I am is: not interested.

I dont see a game of civ as a huge hugfest but as a simulation of building up a civilisation, and war is part of that - just a have a look into human history
War is part of that, making a deal with the intention to declare war right after while keeping the goods, not so much.

stealing gold before DOWing is a pretty shameless exploit. I had assumed it was an "unwritten rule" given the spirit of the competition...

Hi there ! First GOTM and first post on that forum (I have been reading it for a while though).

Date submitted: 2012-08-04
Reference number: 26785
Your name: Chowee
Game date: 1864AD
Turns played: 302
Base score: 892
Final score: 1486
Time played: 4:30:00
Submitted save: TSG40_End.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Chowee_C504001.Civ5Save

A very interesting game overall, although completely peaceful. I had DoF with everybody all game long. I learned a lot about how to manage a quick science victory but there is still some room to improve. I could have save a good amount of turns I think with more intelligent GS bulbing, better overall city managment, and better timings I think. Anyway I'm very satisfied with my result here, my personal fastest science victory. Looking forward to do the next GOTM (n°42, I'm going to submit 41 right away :) )

Hi there ! First GOTM and first post on that forum (I have been reading it for a while though).
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Glad you enjoyed it and congrats on your win. :high5:

Date submitted: 2012-08-05
Reference number: 26809
Game date: 1918AD
Turns played: 338
Base score: 971
Final score: 1449
Time played: 4:35:00
Submitted save: TSG40_Oxslow_0338 AD-1918.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Oxslow_C504001.Civ5Save

Really enjoyed my first attempt at this I made a few errors that probably need to be fixed for next time, I went for patronage to get the city state science bonus but it was never worth it as most of the game I only had 1 or 2 allies. Near the end I think I should have converted the farms in to trading posts. This whole game not 1 war. The worst I opinion the AI had of me was neutral. Near the end of the game I was allied with everyone. My research for the end of the game plus my spaceship parts build order was less than ideal.

Ant way I plan to have a go at GOTM 41 when I get a chance.

Game date: 1903AD
Turns played: 323
Base score: 2506
Final score: 3915
Time played: 7:30:00

I wasn't able to make use of Research Agreements because everyone hated me. I took over sweden when he declared war on me...then carthage...and toward the end of the game i destroyed ethiopia. I ended up having a huge sprawling empire. I used religious buildings to pump up my happiness numbers and it worked quite well. Happiness was not an issue. By the end I was making 2500 science per turn. I built lots of wonders.

Reference number: 26821
Your name: Tesuji
Game date: 1934AD
Turns played: 354
Base score: 1148
Final score: 1640
Time played: 7:30:00
Submitted save: Boudicca_0354 AD-1934.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Tesuji_C504001.Civ5Save

My first GOTM posted and first G&K game to finish. I felt I had an excellent start but in the end didn't do nearly as well as I had hoped.

I went for the Great Library, National College and Oxford. And took out the two city-states as soon as seemed feasible. I had the whole continent to myself a few turns before the 100 turn mark and figured I could dissuade other AIs from invading.

That turned out correct by itself, but a few turns later all the other Civs I had met until then declared war on me. Although no enemy unit actually set foot on my continent (only one little town got created on the ice all the way to the end). And a few prophets passed by. For the rest it was mostly enemy ships inviting to be sunk by some ranged units I had set up along the coast.

But the wars cost me my scouting triremes. It really took me a long time before I could explore and meet the other Civs and city states. And early on no AI wanted to have anything to do with me. It took forever before I got any friendships going and then the AIs were asking a kings ransom for the research agreements. Only by turn 240 or so did the other AIs start to warm up to me.

In itself it was an easy game. Most of the time cruising, just hitting next and moving workers around. But it all felt so slow to progress. And towards the end-game I bungled it as well. I stopped signing RAs at some point because I didn't think the game was going to last another 30 turns. But the Great Scientist I had saved up (4-5 or so) didn't advance me up the tech tree at the end as fast as I had thought.

There was only one moment I had any doubts about winning. Haile Selassi was a little bit ahead of me in the score-board most of the second half of the game. But my impression was he was a little behind in science. Then just a few turns after I entered the modern era I got the announcement he entered the atomic era. I was like "no way!". But he only finished the Apollo program a few turns before I launched, so something funny must have been going on there.

Kudos to the experts finishing so fast. I hope to learn from your pointers. And thanks to Leif for so graciously offering these challenges.

My first GOTM posted and first G&K game to finish. I felt I had an excellent start but in the end didn't do nearly as well as I had hoped.
:wavey: Welcome to GOTM. Glad you enjoyed it and congrats on your victory. :goodjob:

Reference number: 26822
Game date: 1992AD
Turns played: 412
Base score: 1319
Final score: 1608
Time played: 9:09:00

I think my game went different from most of yours. I decided to play differently than I usually do so took the Pictish Warriors on an early conquering spree. Only that didn't work out so well once I realized I was all alone except the city states. I stuck to the plan though, took over La Venta and Geneva, then kept conquering to the east to take out Sweden. Good thing; Stockholm was quite a nice city for me.

The only problem was most of the first half of my game was dictated by the happiness crisis. So I went Honor, which works quite nicely. I particularly like how Walls, etc are +1 happiness with no maintenance costs.

I didn't do much with Religion, other than taking advantage of the crazy Boudicca bonus to have an early religion. Real mix of bonuses: Messenger of the Gods for science, Ceremonial Burial and Pagodas for happiness, and Religious Community and Religious Texts for no particular reason. Also did very little with Spies, I was ahead on tech most of the time so kept them on counter-espionage except to occasionally check out what others were building. I also ignored city-state diplomacy. I won my last game by winning over all the CS but it takes forever to keep bribing them in that horrible UI, so I decided to play without. Went fine.

There was a lot of war in my game. My own danger calmed down after I pacified Sweden, but the Huns kept things interesting. And several world wars, etc. Ethiopia was looking like it might out-tech me at one point so I provoked a war with them and bled them dry with Bombers, Carriers, and Battleships. I also had a bunch of nukes in store for the Mayans, they looked like they were on the path to a social victory, but it was never necessary.

My first King game of Civ 5, and my first GOTM in several years.

Game date: 1884AD
Turns played: 312
Base score: 1229
Final score: 1982
Time played: 8:40:00
Submitted save: Boudicca_0312 AD-1884_win.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Stormreaver_C504001.Civ5Save

Had a looong recap typed in when I accidentally closed the tab. Can't be bothered to retype it all.

Key elements: GL-NC start, Tithe and Great Mosque-enhanced missionaries for major money, spam RAs, lovefest diplomatically...

Learnt: Most importantly, don't bother to maximize espionage by staying away from lower half of tech tree to be able to steal some of it - I would probably have been better off researching to Fertilizer/Chemistry earlier as my cities could have done with growing faster earlier.

Top Bottom