TSG47 After Action Report

No, as you can see i have 9 CS as allies, i assume i get the UN vote for myself not two votes for someone i voted for. I got few CS on the turn of the vote, mainy becuase I was afraid i would be supplanted by spes or bribes and delayed allying them.

Your screen-shot has 9 allied city-states but it's still 10 turns away from the actual vote. Hard for me to say what happened in those 10 turns, but it seems quite plausible some CS got turned by an AI. Even at the very last turn you can't be sure no coup happens in one or more of your allies while there's nothing you can do anymore.

Yeah I know. First time ever above Prince. This game motivated me to start my first King playthrough though :) As Spain too because their powers seem interesting to me, when at first whne I first read it I thought it absolutely sucked. But yes, back on topic, is it okay to ask here how do you handle the Celtics? By turn 80-85, I was attacked by 5 composite bowmen and two melee units and a siege unit. How did you guys fend off the Celtics.

Comp Bows, buils/buy few archers and tech construction, you will need it on Epm and above. And if they look strong see where they go and wall up. Place cities on hills for extra bonus and then keep youe CBs behind a city and pick them off. I had 2 CB and 2 archers and i think 2 warris when they came around t 60. That was all the army needed in this game, i built few more after building UN but those CBs promoted to Crossbows then Gatling and MG were a holy terror.

Your screen-shot has 9 allied city-states but it's still 10 turns away from the actual vote. Hard for me to say what happened in those 10 turns, but it seems quite plausible some CS got turned by an AI. Even at the very last turn you can't be sure no coup happens in one or more of your allies while there's nothing you can do anymore.

the vote happened on this turn, i built UN on turn 205, voted on turn 215 and took this screen instead of rage quitting. Next time i had 10 CS allies, UN and ended up with 9 votes.

the vote happened on this turn, i built UN on turn 205, voted on turn 215 and took this screen instead of rage quitting. Next time i had 10 CS allies, UN and ended up with 9 votes.

I see. Then I have no idea either.

I forgot to add to my 'report' I was running on a Mac and I don't think any patch happened yet. Does anyone know what's the difference?

I did seem to notice recently that border expansion is much more random. It almost never expands onto the sea resources, I had to buy most of those tiles. Somehow I have the feeling this didn't use to be this way and you could pretty much count on getting the tiles with resources on them first.

If you get the CS on the turn you have the vote it does not count. Not sure if this is a bug or feature.

I am trying to play my 2nd playtrough, and it is awsome so far (settled 1e, +1prod on fishing boat, settled 4 c at turn 30...)

I was attacked by a huge force from Boudicca and Alex, (total 30+units) but they positioned their army very bad and I killed everything with CBs.
I went into an offensive, however I cannot liberate cities. Game just auto annex everything... Cannot even puppet and sell. Annext and sell does bad to culture and did not make Maria really happy, as liberate would.

If you get the CS on the turn you have the vote it does not count. Not sure if this is a bug or feature.

This makes sense, because the turn prior to my vote I had every CS allied. During the AIs turns they couped 2 or 3 of them away, but I bought them back on my turn before hitting the "Vote" button, but noticed 1 or 2 CS still didn't vote for me.

I was actually quite impressed how aggressive the AI was at trying to thwart my Diplo win the turn of the vote. They almost succeeded.

Yes it's nice to see AI actually trying to stop you from winning. They were stealing CS back in my game and i was short on cash so i thought to limit their opportunities by allying late. I guess live and learn. I wonder how a 1E start will work for you Arillian, it is vary OP start location with god of the sea then. Wonder how much better it will be then +2 science. Looking forward to your report.

My game is on hold now, as the game auto annex the cities. This is confirmed to be a bug by Firaxis in the bug thread. I am waiting for this to be fixed/hotfixed.

I started with Sailing and Optics and writing just after this. Excellent production and growth and NC is only delayed by a few turn.

The confirmed bug with the issue seems to be only if you use the function keys to open the pop-up windows instead of the mouse.
Thanks for everyone's input on this. The issue is caused by certain keyboard shortcuts being used for UI. The work-around for the time being is to not use F-key shortcuts, and use the mouse to open pop-up UI (like victory overview, religion overview, demographics, etc.). Once the glitch starts occurring, it can stop all pop-ups from appearing.

In my game I didn't even get a pop up, it just annexed Argos and Athens. So F-buttons don't seem to be the whole issue....

What it seems to me is on higher difficulties, people really rely on crappy AI tactics to win wars. Am I off?

What it seems to me is on higher difficulties, people really rely on crappy AI tactics to win wars. Am I off?

Well of course. The AIs start with a crap load of units as a head start, how would anyone win if they were actually used properly? I don't consider myself an expert player, but I think I can easily outplay a 5:1 force from the AI. The main trick is not to get cornered. And take out the melee units first as the ranged units can't capture a city. Once you get a Great General and you build a citadel at a strategic location in front of one of your cities and even the most aggressive AI stops being the slightest worry. They just die while passing the citadel.

Code:
Game:	Civ5 GOTM 47
Date submitted:	2012-11-08
Your name:	gkreitz
Game status:	Diplomacy Victory
Game date:	1780AD
Turns played:	[B]266[/B]
Base score:	1781
Final score:	3360
Time played:	12:27:00

Thanks for a great game set-up! It was a lot of fun to play!

Played on the new patch. Settled in place, 2nd city bought to get the mountain and kick off an early religion (happiness/following city and +pressure with pagodas and hammers for followers). Religion-wise, Pacal spammed an insane amount of missionaries (I saw 5 at once marching by!) and we had approximately half the world each covered. Took extra hammers from fishing boats as the 2 other cities founded were coastal (one west, one south) and had 2-3 sea resources each. Was thinking of building a grand temple in the religious city (aside from the mountain, a captured great prophet settled there), but only realized after building a few temples that it wasn't in the game. :)

I was pondering a peaceful game, but the AI was a lot more aggressive on this patch.. Had a fairly early joint DoW from Greece and the Celts which stalled my early economy to build up an army. Sadly, both of them had settled cities in easily defensible positions, so the 1st war stalled. Pretty much as soon as the peace agreement was over, they served me with a new simultaneous DoW. This time, Greece lost most of their cities, after which they were dogpiled by the other AIs and eliminated by city states (his two last cities captures by city states - ouch!). My memory is slightly fuzzy here, but I think there was another brief spell of peace with the celts (they built the great wall at some point), but on their next DoW they were reduced down to two cities.

Next, Austria attacked (they regretted the decision and offered peace after 2-3 turns, I had a significant tech advantage at that point) so they were kicked off the mainland with the exception of one crappy city they'd settled where Greece's had been. After this, peace ensued (at least as far as I was concerned, there were a few minor skirmishes between Siam and the Maya).

The AI diplo is still weird with very out-of-place messages about broken expansion promises (from buying). Also, they still seem to at times coup from 0 influence, which I thought had been fixed in the patch. Had that happen 3 times.

The AI diplo is still weird with very out-of-place messages about broken expansion promises (from buying). Also, they still seem to at times coup from 0 influence, which I thought had been fixed in the patch. Had that happen 3 times.

How do you know how much influence other civs have with the CS?

You only know then current ally and only relative to yours. Move the mouse to the 'progress line'

Game: Civ5 GOTM 47
Game status: Conquest Loss
Game date: 200BC
Turns played: 107
Base score: 119
Final score: 119
Time played: 1:11:00

Well, I've been out for a while and first game back wasn't very good... doesn't help that Greece and Celts DoW on same turn and I had been neglecting military. Oh well, was fun while it lasted.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 47
Date submitted: 2012-11-09
Reference number: 27631
Your name: Suntechnique
Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1760AD
Turns played: 262
Base score: 1720
Final score: 3307
Time played: 5:23:00

Nice map!

P.S.: game crashed once, so there was 1 load from autosave in lategame.

Top Bottom