Turn on vassals in game

JeanBaptiste

Warlord
Hi! Playing a game on terra where I wanted to build a new palace on the new continent and liberate the old. Now realised I hade turned off vassal states :cry:

Is there a way to enable it? Have not tried the world builder save method but would that work and how would you do it?

thanks!

Hi! Playing a game on terra where I wanted to build a new palace on the new continent and liberate the old. Now realised I hade turned off vassal states :cry:

Is there a way to enable it? Have not tried the world builder save method but would that work and how would you do it?

thanks!
You should be able to do it via Worldbuilder.

1. Open WB
2. Click save map
3. Close civ and go to Documents/My Games/ and click through to saves. One should be titled Worldbuilder.
4. Edit your saved map with notepad
5. Remove the line that says no vassal states.
6. Save and then load the game!

I can do a more detailed explanation later if that's not clear.

Note a couple of things:

1) Once you perform the steps topsecret outlined, then the save is a WB save. You will then play the save as a scenario.

2) At any point other than Turn 0, when you convert to a WB save like this, then all progress is reset. Specifically, gold, beakers, GPP, etc. will reset to zero. So while you will be playing on the turn you created the wb save, your progress in those areas will be lost.

If you have a great person about to pop you may want to wait until it does so. If you have a good bit of gold you may want to spend it down in some way via full research, upgrading some units, or buying a tech. May slightly ease the pain.

Not sure this is relevant to you but I wanted to mention that with vassal states turned off colony maintenance also does not exist.

@topsecret Thx! I will def try this later.

@lymond Ok, I guess this counts for all AIs as well? So in a way you get a bit of a flawed setup. Will it remember previous GPP? Or will it be like you would generate your first.

AIs are so stupid with GPs anyways so I guess it doesn’t matter that much :crazyeye:

@civac I haven’t colonised yet but good to know!

@lymond Ok, I guess this counts for all AIs as well?

Yep

So in a way you get a bit of a flawed setup.

Well, you are at some point in your game..not sure how far, so any losses like that are quite impactful. Yes, it is certainly flawed but that is the price you pay.

Will it remember previous GPP? Or will it be like you would generate your first.

It removes the accrued gpp in each city up to the that turn, if there is any specs running in them. The global gpp target does not change...like 100gpp for 1st one, 200 for next, etc etc.

AIs are so stupid with GPs anyways so I guess it doesn’t matter that much :crazyeye:

Well, what matters is your losses

Last edited:
So it worked! Thanks for all advice.

unfortunately all diplo got ruined as well (which I guess was obvious but didn’t think of). I’d put a lot of effort in getting Monty to friendly and didn’t want to start over building relations. I know that you can change base attitudes in WB but it wouldn’t be changing over time like normal diplo

it was a role playing game,but one on deity so for this specific winning condition diplo was important…

Should be possible to do this cleanly through the Python console:
CyGame().setOption(20, 0)
No Vassal States is the 20th option (well, 21st, the ids start at 0). Alternatively, GameOptionTypes.GAMEOPTION_NO_VASSAL_STATES should also work.

Requires the cheat code (chipotle) to be entered in My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini, and Lock Modified Assets must not be enabled, and then the ~ key, i.e. (Shift + `), should bring up the console. (On non-Qwerty keyboards, it might be another key entirely; on my German keyboard, it's Shift+ö.)

Attachments

• set-option.jpg
    set-option.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 42
No Vassal States is the 20th option (well, 21st, the ids start at 0). Alternatively, GameOptionTypes.GAMEOPTION_NO_VASSAL_STATES should also work.

Requires the cheat code (chipotle) to be entered in My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini, and Lock Modified Assets must not be enabled, and then the ~ key, i.e. (Shift + `), should bring up the console. (On non-Qwerty keyboards, it might be another key entirely; on my German keyboard, it's Shift+ö.)
:king:

Wow! This worked perfectly :goodjob: Required to do some things i´ve never done before but that was cool! Great advice @f1rpo

Yep, I'd never heard of using the console to change options like that...indeed a great find. Hat's off to @f1rpo!

Happy to help. I had also assumed that this wouldn't be possible because game settings are ultimately handled by a class (CvInitCore) that isn't directly exposed to Python – but it turns out that setOptions is exposed via CyGame. So is setMaxTurns – but not setVictoryValid, nor setHandicapType. Those are the other relevant settings that come to mind.

Top Bottom