Twillight of Byzantium

Monks only produce units 1/3 of the time.

There are no Hungary, since the map hardly includes it. I thought it would be better this way.

Albania was serb at the time.

I also know about the Bulgarian kingdom being three, but that would just make them too weak.

There is no room for Pera in the map.

I hoped that answered your questions. :)

I think this will go on my list for one of the better scn's I've played.
It's so fast and fun and I actually won.
On points (barely) as Florentine (monarch)

I though it would be impossible at first
I felt compelled to give in to demands
or make unfavorable rop/trade treaties.
I had extra resources and a tech it seems.

Of course I set my sights immediately on Sienese
but before I was ready the Papists for some reason
got belligerent so I went to war with them. It was a risk
but Naples and Sienese joined me I did not realize
that Papist had mpp with a few other states but I
never saw any of them. Somehow I got all of Sienese
and all of Papal except Gaeta. I kept worrying about
Genoa and Lombard but they went after Venice.

Is Florentine the only civ that can build the Sistine Chapel?
I got that after the Medici wonder gave me a golden age.
I did not think I'd get both. I guess the Medici wonder
does not allow you to also build trading post with that resource.
I could not do anything with the resource.
But the Lombard contract was great.
I did whatever I could to keep it and just built as many Lombards
as I could while I waited for the inevitable attack from somewhere
as I was catching up fast in vp's. It never came.

9 turns left I passed the Ottomans and had the point lead for good.
They finally started to run everyone over back east. Ottomans
kept demanding things every now and then. I just always gave it to them.
Even though I wondered if they could ever get this far west in force.

Florentine must be one of the easier civs to play.
I may try venice next. They appear much more spread out.

Thank you!!!!!!

ps- thanks more for the better graphic for the plague in MEM
The old one really irritates me.........................

I must say that this is the my favorite region specific scenario.

Thanks for the nice comments. :)

Actually all civs can build the Sistine, but you might have gotten it earlier since Florence gets a slightly science boost in the beginning. (They start with one random tech more than the other civs)

wikipedia said:
The Serbian army during this period was primarily an infantry force armed with spear, javelin or bows. With the increasing wealth from mining , mercenary knights were recruited to complement noble cavalry armed with bow and lance. This enabled the Serbs to fight effectively outwith their mountain strongholds. The core of the army consisted of noble cavalry (vlastela) armed with lance and bow in the Byzantine style. These were increasingly supplemented by western style knights. Mostly Germans in Dušan's reign. Dušan's military tactics consisted of wedge shaped heavy cavalry attacks with horse archers on the flanks. Many foreign mercenaries were in the Serbian army. Mostly Germans as cavalry and Spaniards as infantry. He also had personal mercenary guards, mainly German knights. A knight named Palman was the commander of this unit and was the leader of all German mercenaries. Light horse were provided by Hungarian, Cuman or even Tatars mercenaries. Later in the period Serbian lance armed Hussars took over this role. The infantry still included lightly armed javelin troops although the bow and crossbow became the most important infantry weapon in the 14th century. A western style charge by the armoured cavalry and knights was the main tactic with the infantry used to follow up.

Because your using Dušan's Serbia in this Scenario, you should read this! and once again I appeal on you to make Serbia playable :)

But I'm not working on this scenario. I doubt I will make another update, atleast this year.

Not to bump but I just played the crazies game of this, I was the byzantines and I destroyed the ottoman army early and they just got the . .. .. .. . kicked out of them, and then all of the balcan civs, and the latins waste themselves by their population sacrificing. And soon enough this happened

Looks like a pretty wicked game. The Byzantines are hard to play, so you defiently did well. :thumbsup:

I've been playing through this in the last few days too, it's a fantastically balanced and enjoyable mod. I've been Byzantine too, and have managed to get a similar result to cubsfan, though I think I took more islands from the Venetians. It's certainly a difficult start position, but the Byzantine economy is so good that you can trash everyone later on once you get a stack of Kinghts ready and a few armies.

One big difference in my game was in Asia Minor. I managed to bribe the Mamluks to go to war with the Ottomans pretty early on and they pretty much kicked ass. So much so that I still have Philadelphia - it never came under serious attack! :lol: The Ottomans now only have about 5 cities left, the Trebizonds are powerful, and thoughts of a Christian Asia Minor are within the realms of reality. I love it when a mod can lead to quite different power balances depending on the diplomatic choices a player makes.

I love it when a mod can lead to quite different power balances depending on the diplomatic choices a player makes.

I'm really happy that you say that. My goal with this scenario was really to make a game where one civ wasn't usually the loser and one usually the winner.

And I think I achievied it. The difference in hardness is not that big between the different civs (not even the Knight's of St. John), and you never know which direction each game will turn.

:)

I'm going to try the Knights next and see if I can get a victory through the treasures. I'll report back again when I'm done on that game. Looks like I'll have to start using those amphibious units they've got.

The Knights are fun, since you can really fight some heavy naval wars, by conquering islands.

Once I actually managed to capture the whole of Anatolia too.

Seems the trading post resources doesn't work. I bought 1 of them from the Venetians and I can't build trading posts or railroads.

And yes I did wait turns, and yes I have the tech and yes the venetians still have the resources.

Seems the trading post resources doesn't work. I bought 1 of them from the Venetians and I can't build trading posts or railroads.

And yes I did wait turns, and yes I have the tech and yes the venetians still have the resources.

They work as they are intended to work. You can only build trading posts in cities that have them in their radius.

Railroads have been disabled.

Oh it doesn't say that in the civiliopedia I think or maybe I missed it. thanks anyway!

Hello, I have civ iii and want to play this scenario. I do not have the Conquests version, but on the other hand, this thread doesn't say that the scenario requires CONQUESTS. I downloaded the files and put the biq file in my scenarios folder, but the game doesnt play. It appears that civ iii doesnt recognize biq files. Are biq files only for CONQUESTS editions?

Is there a free version of CONQUESTS I can download?

Thanks.

Without Conquests, you're doomed.
You can buy for less than U$S 20.00 on Amazon. Have a look around!

Welcome back to the forum rakovsky, looks like you've been away a while.

To answer the question, (Takhisis :p) yes you will require conquests to use most of the scenarios now uploaded here. You can tell from the file extention:

bic - civ 3
bix - Play the World
biq - Conquests
(I think that's right).

Takhisis is right (as usual :)) in saying that you're pretty much doomed without Conquests.

Top Bottom