Two cities that are most alike!

Perfection said:
Why? I want reasons!
Well, I had them mixed up, it's Maastricht (Ned) and Antwerp (Bel)
They're both only exclusively built on the east bank of a river which is pretty uncommon, they both have the same style of building, with lots of renaissance and 18th century buildings in the city center, they both have just one large shopping street, but those are really large and wide.

Another comparison : New Orleans - Atlantis.

Hitro said:
I bet there are loads of extremely common looking cities amoung the relatively newly founded ones, but an example that seems astonishing if you don't know the history behind it is that my home town of Bremen in Northwest German looks very similar to the Latvian capital Riga which is of course thousands of kilometers away and part of a different culture.
But that's because the burghers of Riga were mostly German. The Latvians living around the city were peasants.

Same thing around most of the Baltic - the urban pop in the Middle and early Modern Ages were mostly German.

Stockholm in th 16th c. adopted nationalistic legislation stipulating that 50% of the town council must be Swedish, otherwise the Germans would have filled every damn seat.

I say this as the descendant of the German silk merchant and mayor of Stockholm around 1600, Jakob Grundel, who was reported to the authorities as "being a good Swede, despite adressing his Lord in the language of his fathers".
His son Simon became a Swedish field-marshall.:goodjob:

I would also add Gdansk looking quite Hanseat-ish to me (at least the old part).

The centers of many cities from the K u K monarchy have resemblance. I have been in Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Bratislava and live in Vienna and when I was there the first time they somehow seemed very familiar to me. Does someone know Lemberg (don´t know the Ukrainian name Livov?) or Zagreb (Agram?) ?

Marla_Singer said:
Buda is actually very different from Pest. Buda is hilly and sparsed when Pest is falt and dense. Actually, both Buda and Pest are very different. That's one of the first thing you realize when you visit the city.

Pest, the Danube and Buda.

I never knew they were seperate cities, I have always heard it refered to as just Budapest.

SonicX said:
Well, I had them mixed up, it's Maastricht (Ned) and Antwerp (Bel)
They're both only exclusively built on the east bank of a river which is pretty uncommon, they both have the same style of building, with lots of renaissance and 18th century buildings in the city center, they both have just one large shopping street, but those are really large and wide.

I guess I lived in another Maastricht then ;). The city was originally built on the West bank of the river, but later absorbed the various villages and hamlets on the Eastern side. You can walk from one end of the major shopping street to the other in 2-3 minutes (good thing the shops are a little more spread around then).

In fact, Gent actually would be a better comparison, but it lacks a proper river.

Plexus said:

Pest, the Danube and Buda.
Indeed, thanks for this picture. You clearly see that Pest is on the left of this picture as it's dense and flat. Buda is more sparse on the right side... we don't see it well on the picture but it's also very hilly.

SoCalian said:
I never knew they were seperate cities, I have always heard it refered to as just Budapest.

They are like the twin cities, Buda is on one bank of the river and Pest is on the other. But in this case the river is not the Mississippi.

Arlington, Virginia and Kensington, Maryland.
These are 2 suburban cities of 200,000 and 50,000 each.
Each has a rich upper predominately caucasian and african-american north section and and a poorer predominately hispanic south side.

Top Bottom