Two New Colonization Previews, Screenshots

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
Two additional previews for Civilization IV: Colonization have been released, this time along with new screenshots! The previews, one at Gamespy and another at Gamespot, continue the trend of previous articles in examining the gameplay, both single-singleplayer and multiplayer. Two new screenshots, whose thumbnails you can click below, have been added to the Colonization gallery. Below is an excerpt from the Gamespot preview about independence:
When you eventually reach more than 50 percent of rebel sentiment, you can choose to valiantly declare your independence and trigger an inspirational cutscene in which you raise the American flag over a fort and fire cannons into the distance. Our patriotism was quickly squashed under the boots of a giant army of invading redcoats. It's important to build up your local militia and minutemen, and to construct some warships before deciding to secede.

Thing I notice on the second pic is the sea resources. Not sure if these are new to colonization or merely food resources. Guessing just food. They look very much like the food resources in civ 4.

The nice difference about colonization to civ is your actually trading for goods and trying to barter the best prices around the map. Where on civ you click to talk to an Ai and your trading is done like magic. Brings a sense of realism to the game in terms of trading.

Thing I notice on the second pic is the sea resources. Not sure if these are new to colonization or merely food resources. Guessing just food. They look very much like the food resources in civ 4.

The nice difference about colonization to civ is your actually trading for goods and trying to barter the best prices around the map. Where on civ you click to talk to an Ai and your trading is done like magic. Brings a sense of realism to the game in terms of trading.

I agree, that seems like the nicest upgrade from Civ IV so far, but I still don't know if it's worthy of a separate game instead of a scenario.

I agree, that seems like the nicest upgrade from Civ IV so far, but I still don't know if it's worthy of a separate game instead of a scenario.
It's a marketing decision. And they thought long and hard about it, too. No matter how they marketed it, they would have complaints:

"This isn't a real expansion, it's just a mod!"
"This isn't an expansion (like Warlords or BTS), it should be sold as a standalone!"
"This isn't a stand-alone game, it's just an expansion!"

etc.

;)

Colonization was, is, and should aways be seen as an independant game, different from the Civilization serie. It's just another of Sid Meier's brilliant games.
They just chose to use the CIV 4 engine. Nothing wrong with that. It's something that is done a lot in the video game industry (using the same engine for different games).

The only wrong marketing decision made was to put "Civilization IV:" in the game's name. That gets a lot of people confused. But I think it has been made to attract all new players that liked Civ IV and that are too young to have known Colonization (14 years without any sequel or remake).

I played Colonization more than 10 years ago and never forgot it. I am so thrilled that they finally re-make. I just can't wait... :)

So to all of you that are wondering about it : Yes, it should be seen, sold, and bought as a separate game because it's exactly that : a separate game. :p

It's way more than an "upgrade" or a "scenario" : it's a masterpiece !

And, don't worry, if you like Civilization, you should like Colonization. ;)

I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy ! :D

I'm confused...if this is a stand alone game, does that mean we won't be able to have those new units / graphics for BTS?

I would sure love to have that Sea for BTS.

I'm confused...if this is a stand alone game, does that mean we won't be able to have those new units / graphics for BTS?

I would sure love to have that Sea for BTS.

Chances are they won't work. Yes it is a new game and not an expansion.

They imrpoved the graphics quite a bit (as you have noticed), the same graphics can probably not be used by BtS (technically speaking, they use shader 1.1 whereas BtS uses shader 1.0, so if they do require it, they won't work for BtS).

Otoh BtS graphics would probably work in Col 2.

But this is just guessing based on the available info (shader 1.1 versus 1.0), we won't know until we try.

I'm not sure about the Graphics, but since it uses the Civ 4 Engine, it should be highly modable like Civ 4. That means we could transfer all the colonization buildings and units to civ 4 and vice versa. I wonder if we could also mod in new Civs.

I must admit, I was disappointed to hear that no real-world map of the Americas will be included. :confused: Still, the leaders are interesting. George Washington and John Adams for America England, Peter Stuyvesant and Adriaen van der Donck for the Dutch, Samuel de Champlain and Louis de Buade de Frontenac for France, and Simon Bolivar and Jose de San Martin for Spain.

Adams and Washington are a bit chronologically close, but I guess they wanted people who were more revolutionary than loyalist. Massachusetts and Virgina do represent the northern and southern American colonies well.

The syphilis probably doesn't help, either.

I wonder if that means there will be plagues in this game?

It's a bit rash to conclude that no real america-map will be included, isn't it.

I must admit, I was disappointed to hear that no real-world map of the Americas will be included. :confused:?

Shocked to hear that too Gaius, but surely, surely that is onpy in the edition that reviwer got.... it would be utter stupidity not to include a real life map?? surely? SURELY???!?!?!?!?

I think i visit these forums too much. i dreamt I was playing colonization last night. I was somewhat frustrated by the lack of unit I could bring to the main land. I do remember thinking the Ai started with an awful lot of unit.

Disturbing dreams and months to go still. I wonder if they will have many difficulty levels. Diety colonization might be insane.

I really should get a life at times.

Just found this.

http://uk.askmen.com/gaming/pc/Sid-Meier-s-Civilization-IV-Colonization-Pc/preview-1-1.html

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168463

*runs*

It's still months until the release. Of course there will be an authentic map. I don't understand how anyone can think otherwise.

I'm actually pretty disappointed they chose Peter Stuyvesant as Dutch colonial leader.

Stuyvesant was a bit weird and he was never really important from a Dutch point of view. He was a bit tirannic even. He is only famous for being one of the first rulers of what would be new york.

The best choice would be Johan Maurits, Count of Nassau-Siegen.
He was the first enlightened ruler in the world. He allowed Portugese catholics and Jews to have religious freedom in the Dutch colonies. He stimulated research on the natural environment of Brazil and also funded the first paintings made of American sceneries. Additionally he stimulated studies of the natives. Also he was a more than adequate military leader. He was in service of the Dutch East india company from 1636-1644. When he came back in Europe he was a celebrity. He was a welcome guest at the French and Prussian courts.

I know Firaxis is American and they think the founding of New Amsterdam was a big thing but historically it was not as important as the Dutch conquest of Brazil. Their focus on the leaders of New Amsterdam is a bit misplaced.

Piet Heijn would be the obvious second choice. A privateer who captured the Spanish silver fleet which funded a lot of the Dutch colonizing activities from 1630-1640.

Anyone know how I could offer Firaxis my expertise on Dutch colonial history?

Also Firaxis, make sure you don't make the mistake of using 'the Dutch King' the Dutch did not have a king but were a republic. The States General would be more accurate. And if you really need to narrow it down to one person: the Stadtholder (steward).

It's still months until the release. Of course there will be an authentic map. I don't understand how anyone can think otherwise.

Perhaps because of our past experience? Such as:

Im sure more would reply if BtS wasn't on the way with its professionaly programed throne room or build own crib reward system.(whatever one they decide)
- smart to include both but don't count on it. thats to much work for what they get from you wallet :)

All this talk about it being the biggest X pak yet and then go with no throne room when they had already invested in a version that looks culturly flavoured and ready to go for Warlords?

Nah ya gotta believe they let it laspse over to refine further for BtS.

Is there a Throne Room in BtS? No.

Anyway, you are right about one thing: it is premature to judge it. "You know what happens when you presume... You make a Prez out of you and me!" Even if there is not a realistic world map included, there will be one with 48 hours of the release of this game. I will make it myself if necessary.

Top Bottom