Two new DLC packs announced

It's also awesomely hilarious that slightlymarxist thinks that Swedes and Norwegians will be alienated because Denmark have been included as a civ! :lol: Cheer up, kid. The Swedes will make it too.

Glad I could entertain you. ;) And I assure you, I'm quite cheerful.

I don't think Sweden will be included, not for quite a while. Obviously Firaxis hopes to cater to the Scandinavian target group by including some kind of Viking nation. My beef with choosing "Denmark" instead of something more inclusive, is that neither Swedes nor Norwegians will feel encompassed by that definition. I don't identify myself with the Danes any more than I do with the Germans - therefore it's stupid in a business sense since Firaxis will now fail to reach the (entire) intended target group.

Edit - of course, I'm happy for the Danes. :viking:

Well, then why don't we just include Australia, Canada, Scotland etc. through the English civilization, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland etc. through the Russian civilization.... Oh the uproar it would create if the English civilization built the city of Glasgow!

If Denmark is to be a civilization, it should be able to stand on its own feet. If it needs to lend credibility from the other Nordic countries to justify it being a civilization, then the name should reflect this. Norse, Scandinavians, Vikings, the Kalmar Union, Denmark-Norway....

To tell you the truth I am all for it. I do believe the English build Edinburgh, did this cause a huge uproar? It is like Polynesia which includes several tribes and islands, maybe like you said they should have chose a name that wraps all of the Nordic civs up in one big package, such as Norse or Vikings. I am just glad they chose some type of Viking civ at this point. Although it is hollow without a longship, because in the intro they show Vikings on their longships.

I wonder if Firaxis decided on Denmark to cause some controversy, if they did it worked wonderfully.

Ski Infantry...it's almost as if the dev who made that decision happened to see the end of Inception and thought, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." Although I'm not against the idea, given the naval prowess of the Danes it would be nice to have a civ that rivals Elizabeth for dominance of the seas (the mighty Ottomans notwithstanding :lol:). I could imagine some fun scenarios with that.

Like with other DLC, I'm waiting for the inevitable moment when multiple DLCs are included in a large, discount bundle... so I'm certainly not the target buyer, for now.

Regarding the adding of Denmark - I don't mind the name. Every time a new Civilization game or a new expansion pack came out, people complained "why isn't civilization A included? Why IS civilization B included? Why is C not named D?". I don't mind at all. It's a game where you command a single civilization for several thousands of years; it's not like it will ever make much sense if you look at it too hard.

The bigger problem I have is - the Ski Infantry? Yes, it's a cool concept. But watching the video someone linked in this thread, their ability seems to be pretty uninspired. A bonus to hills and snow-covered terrain? I don't think so... I love the Aztec civilization since the big balancing patch, and I played it both in single player and multiplayer. I didn't see the "+50% in jungle" ability see much use. I don't think a bonus in tundra will be any different.

Before watching the video, I was hoping for something like an unit that is able to cross mountains, perhaps at the cost of limited combat strength. Now *that* would have been a cool ability.

The Berserk unit is alright, I suppose.

Why has it not released on steam yet? I've been checking the steam store website all day at work and haven't seen it show up yet and even went home at lunch and was going to buy it then so its ready to play when i get home and it wasn't available?!? is it because I'm in Canada? this sucks, i was excited to try a new scenario after work tonight but now I'm worried that its not releasing in Canada today or something? anyone know whats going on? also, i found a commercial on youtube and its like 'available on steam now' and also I can see the new achievements,

Why has it not released on steam yet? I've been checking the steam store website all day at work and haven't seen it show up yet and even went home at lunch and was going to buy it then so its ready to play when i get home and it wasn't available?!? is it because I'm in Canada? this sucks, i was excited to try a new scenario after work tonight but now I'm worried that its not releasing in Canada today or something? anyone know whats going on? also, i found a commercial on youtube and its like 'available on steam now' and also I can see the new achievements,

It just came out on Steam. I'm buying it as we speak.

Ok finally it is downloading, a bit of a problem with the credit card.

[...] I am just glad they chose some type of Viking civ at this point. Although it is hollow without a longship, because in the intro they show Vikings on their longships.
When units are embarked, the game shows them as ships... These are your longships. I don't think there were any naval battles with longships. The fact that Vikings were very succesful in raiding because of their lightning hit and run tactics is well represented in the game; if you sail past the shores of your enemy and you spot lonely workers or ranged units, you can kill them in one turn.

Ski Infantry...it's almost as if the dev who made that decision happened to see the end of Inception and thought, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." Although I'm not against the idea, given the naval prowess of the Danes it would be nice to have a civ that rivals Elizabeth for dominance of the seas (the mighty Ottomans notwithstanding :lol:). I could imagine some fun scenarios with that.

Ski Infantry were actually quite effectively by the Danes (when they still occupied Norway) against the Swedes.
Wikipedia article

As for dominance of the seas... While the navy might have been very important for the Danes, I don't think they ever ruled the waves. Before the 16th century, it were mostly merchant ships and as far as I know during the many Danish-Swedish wars that followed, both sides still mostly used converted merchant ships.

Top Bottom