Two new DLC packs announced

I guess they should of called it Denmark-Norway?

Actually, I am personally against that. Being a bad period of Norway (by many Norwegians known as the 300 year night), and with Norway having no power at all, I feel that, even if the historical title, it doesn't really fit the need. It's like the debate over Austria. Should it be called Austria or Austria-Hungary? Personally I think the first option is the best one in that issue.

Actually the most appropriate term would be either Vikings or Norse (prefered), especially thinking of that they have a Norse king and include a Norse scenario... :lol:

The fact of the matter is that the Danes (from Denmark, North Germany, and the livable part of Sweden) were the major power of the region for approximately 1,000 years. They had a better power-structure and population demographic during the Viking Period than their neighbors and sometimes-rivals the tribal Norwegians. Their conquests and colonies shaped the Normans and English for centuries to come. During the Renaissance and Napoleonic Eras they were the dominant partner of the Norway-Denmark union and rivaled with the Swedes. If you had to pick the Scandinavian civilization with the best and longest-running stint of organization, conflict, and influence you'd pick the Danes.

- Marty Lund

Who cares at least they chose vikings in some way, shape, or form. Mod em later and call em what you want. GEEZ MAN!!! :lol:

Who cares at least they chose vikings in some way, shape, or form. Mod em later and call em what you want. GEEZ MAN!!! :lol:

Well, then why don't we just include Australia, Canada, Scotland etc. through the English civilization, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland etc. through the Russian civilization.... Oh the uproar it would create if the English civilization built the city of Glasgow!

If Denmark is to be a civilization, it should be able to stand on its own feet. If it needs to lend credibility from the other Nordic countries to justify it being a civilization, then the name should reflect this. Norse, Scandinavians, Vikings, the Kalmar Union, Denmark-Norway....

It's about time they stopped consolidating Scandinavia into one civ, I've got my fingers crossed for a Finnish civ.

It's about time they stopped consolidating Scandinavia into one civ, I've got my fingers crossed for a Finnish civ.

(Spits the coffee on the screen and chokes...) :faint: :rotfl:

The fact of the matter is that the Danes (from Denmark, North Germany, and the livable part of Sweden) were the major power of the region for approximately 1,000 years. They had a better power-structure and population demographic during the Viking Period than their neighbors and sometimes-rivals the tribal Norwegians. Their conquests and colonies shaped the Normans and English for centuries to come. During the Renaissance and Napoleonic Eras they were the dominant partner of the Norway-Denmark union and rivaled with the Swedes. If you had to pick the Scandinavian civilization with the best and longest-running stint of organization, conflict, and influence you'd pick the Danes.

- Marty Lund

Actually that varied a lot. Sometimes Norway was the power (especially late-medievel, pre Kalmar-Union and also quarreling with Denmark for this position during the Viking Age (Haardraada, Tryggvason etc.)), sometimes Denmark (Kalmar Union, quarreling with Norway for this position in the Viking Age (Canute, Bluetooth etc.)) and sometimes Sweden (post-Second Northern war mostly, don't know too much about the Viking age though).

And if you argue back with the following argument:

I'm Danish and should know my history

Then I'll answer:

I'm Norwegian and shoul'd the same... and BTW, we should not let nationalism get in the way of the historical and factual...

But that's only in case... and I mean no offense when writing this and hope I did not offend you in any way ;)

Calling it "Denmark" reeks of ignorance. :sad:

You can't just say "it should have been Denmark-Norway but that was too long so we shortened it".

It would have been so much better to call it "the Scandinavians" or even "the Nordics" since the ski infantry that made a name of itself (during WWII) wasn't Norwegian - and certainly not Danish! :mad: - but Finnish.

Explanation: Scandinavia encompasses Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Iceland but does not include Finland.

"Norden" in scandinavian (the nordic countries) does.

I would have expected the Civ V team to know this. The Civ IV team certainly would have...

Explanation: Scandinavia encompasses Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Iceland but does not include Finland.

Actually, Scandinavia only includes Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

While I'm not opposed to the inclusion of a Danish civilization, I am opposed to a Danish civilization that "lends" from the other Nordic countries to get accepted.

Name it Denmark and remove/rename the Danish Norwegian Ski Infantry unit, or simply rename the Civ. There are plenty of better names out there, including Scandinavia and Kalmar Union.

It would have been so much better to call it "the Scandinavians" or even "the Nordics" since the ski infantry that made a name of itself (during WWII) wasn't Norwegian - and certainly not Danish! :mad: - but Finnish.[/I]

Actually, the nation who made the most use of Ski-Infantry was Norway. When the Danish king decided to create "The Norwegian Army" in the 1600s (roughly), they had no good training and not much weapons, but it's strenght was it's ability to use the terrain better, being more used to and more suitable to hard winter combat than, for excample, Swedes at the time.

Actually, Norway is the only country today where every soldier is trained in ski combat...

And BTW, geographically, only Norway and Sweden are Scandinavian (being on the Scandinavian peninsuela), but Denmark are often included due to shared culture, heritage and history + the fact that Denmark also controlled Skåne (part of Sweden) for a long time.

Denmark? That's stupid. Way to alienate Norwegians and Swedes, Firaxis.

"Norse" would've been good, and inclusive. Even "Vikings" would be okay. "Denmark" is just daft, unless you're talking about the period following the Viking Age, but then you could include any number of small european nations.

Firaxis has sunk to quite a low, with all this DLC %#$&.

Holy Harald Hardrada! This is too funny. Sure are quite a few hurt national feelings in this thread.

It's also awesomely hilarious that slightlymarxist thinks that Swedes and Norwegians will be alienated because Denmark have been included as a civ! :lol: Cheer up, kid. The Swedes will make it too.

I'll buy this pack. Denmark is a cool addition. Danish history from the Viking age (and yes jjoacim, Vikings did indeed spew forth from Denmark as well as Sweden and Norway. Maybe you should read up on that, bro.) is really interesting. Sure, they get their rears handed to them pretty much constantly after Lutter am Barenberge (1626), but up to then, Denmark was a significant regional power. Now we'll just need modders to make a new unique unit for the later ages. Maybe a gunboat? I mean, come on, the highest point in Denmark is, what, two feet?

Sweden would be a really cool addition too. Would be perfect for a Great Northern War type scenario.

This is too perfect. I started playing Civ 4 at Dana College, home of the Vikings. Guess I might pay more "tuition" for this civ.

Isnt it great that we get new stuff for Civ5 all the time? I realy like how the game grows constantly. Plus, due to the small 'packages' everyone can decide what he wants to install and what not.

Top Bottom