UEFA Cup 2004-05

Agree on that, and after that it will be FC Basel or Lille. With all the respect, but after Valencia there isn´t really a huge team in the UEFA-Cup anymore. All are beatable for a club like Ajax, even Liverpool or Olympique and even with the team Ajax has now.

Last 16:
Middlesbrough
Newcastle
Basel
Stuttgart
Feyenoord
AZ
Athletic
Dnipro
Valencia
Ajax
Benfica
Fenerbahçe
Panathinaikos
Schalke
Olympiacos
Villareal

Last 8:
Middlesbrough
Stuttgart
Valencia
Ajax
Newcastle
Schalke
Benfica
Fenerbahçe

Hard to say but Valencia tops the list and Benfica and Middlesbrough are not going to make it. Feyenoord already got the benefit of the doubt against Sporting, but will not make it against Middlesbrough if they get through. Problem is that I normally see Feyenoord stronger than both, but then Gullit must get his men back to work. They´re in worse shape than Ajax 2 months ago...

Why are you saying Benfica won't make it?
(falam,falam,falam e não os vejo a fazer nada fico xateado concerteza q fico xateado!:lol: ) don't worry it isn't an insult :)

Maybe because Benfica hasn't won a single important game this season: Porto, Sporting, Anderlecht, Stuttgart... :p
Even a die-hard Benfica fan like you must admit that this present Benfica team is lacking some quality everywhere on the pitch. And on the bench as well. Do you still think Trapattoni is the best coach in the world like you did some months ago? :lol:

OK, Trapattoni is crap!
But there are new players to come and others to go out
so I'm confident.
PS-By recent Porto's exibitions I don't know if Porto is going to won the game with Inter....

While we're waiting for the next round, what are your views on whether the "Group phase" of this season's UEFA Cup worked or not ?

Personally, I thought it was a failure - if you want a group phase, then do it properly, with each team playing home and away. If that would mean too many games, then just run it as a knockout competition (obviously sorting out the number of places first).

Thoughts ?

Personally I also much prefer the old knock-out only system. The UEFA Cup has too many teams for a group phase, unless they want to make 30 groups...

The group stages are soley to raise more money for clubs, who will then moan about playing too many matches.
Knockout, with a completely random draw, is more interesting.

raen said:
Sporting passed trought :D besides all the bad things that happened yesterday....

No excuses for anything! The behaviour of some idiots pretending to be Feyenoord fans was a disgrace (fireworks/cigarette lighters thrown on the pitch). Sporting deserved to win! Congrats! ;)

But that goalkeeper is a really good comedian. Throwing fireworks on the pitch is stupid (and the guy responsible should be banned from games for the rest of his life). But Ricardo put on a really good show! The firework landed at least 4-5 metres to his right and Ricardo falls to the ground like he's mortally injured holding his hands to the left side of his face... :rolleyes:

Darkness said:
But that goalkeeper is a really good comedian. Throwing fireworks on the pitch is stupid (and the guy responsible should be banned from games for the rest of his life). But Ricardo put on a really good show! The firework landed at least 4-5 metres to his right and Ricardo falls to the ground like he's mortally injured holding his hands to the left side of his face... :rolleyes:

Damn! You mean I missed the best part? :(

Anyway, I hope Feyenoord sorts it out, because quite frankly I was very disappointed with them. This team is too weak for Feyenoord's great footballing tradition...

Last night's results costed 2 coaches their jobs: Ranieri in Valencia and Koeman in Ajax...

The next round has the following games:
Middlesbrough v Sporting
Sevilla v Parma
Steaua Bucharest v Villarreal
Lille v Auxerre
Olympiakos v Newcastle
Shakhtar Donetsk v AZ Alkmaar
Partizan Belgrade v CSKA Moscow
Austria Vienna or Athletic Bilbao v Real Zaragoza

I think the favourites to advance to the quarters are Sporting, Sevilla, Villareal, Lille, Newcastle, Shakhtar Donetsk, CSKA and Athletic Bilbao.

MCdread said:
Damn! You mean I missed the best part? :(

Anyway, I hope Feyenoord sorts it out, because quite frankly I was very disappointed with them. This team is too weak for Feyenoord's great footballing tradition...

Don't expect any miracles. There's no money, so players will have to be sold before any can be bought. :(

MCdread said:
Last night's results costed 2 coaches their jobs: Ranieri in Valencia and Koeman in Ajax...

Koeman's resignation is no surprise. The critics have become very loud over the past year: No connection to the players, negative playing style, no improvement of the young talents, bad signings, troubled relation with the management.....

Darkness said:
The firework landed at least 4-5 metres to his right and Ricardo falls to the ground like he's mortally injured holding his hands to the left side of his face... :rolleyes:

Could be brain damage. The right part of your brain controls the left part of your body. Thus his brain could make him feel pain in the left side of his pace ;)

If AZ gets it's game together like before the winter break they'll beat shaktar.

Well some of my predictions were on target, others weren't. Let's hope I can do better this round.

Sporting over Middlesbrough
Sevilla over Parma
Villareal over Steaua Bucharest
Lille over Auxerre
Newcastle over Olympiakos
AZ Alkmaar over Shakhtar Donetsk
CSKA Moskva over Partizan
Athletic Bilbao (if they win, which they should) over Real Zaragoza

I like the chances of Newcastle and possibly Sporting, AZ, or Athletic (presuming they win).

Shabbaman said:
AZ beat Shaktar 1-3. Spectacular achievement. Diving must be Ukrains first sport btw.

Yeah, good result by Koning Co and his men! :)

One would have thought they'd have figured out the ground was very cold after a couple of dives... :p
I always thought diving was more of a southern sport (no offense intended! )...

Top Bottom