1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UHV discussion thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Akbarthegreat, Oct 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kojinesha

Kojinesha Chieftain

Yeah Paris has awful production, so if you get great engineers from Rome, use them to rush wonders in Paris. If not, build them in Rome. Build theatre and weaver in Paris and start running 2 artists immediately. Build catholic church/monastery, and during a golden age after you build Versailles put a cathedral in Paris, the bonus production should be enough. Leaning tower is great, but you want it in Paris where you're GA farm is (at least that's where mine is). Paris can just build culture when you've built catholic buildings/theatre/weaver/monument. The bonus culture from Notre Dame on religious buildings will also be a boon.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  2. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

You mean Sistine Chapel, right?

Well, it is only 1300 AD, the start of the Hundred Year war and yet my Paris Civ4ScreenShot0115.JPG can produce 22 :hammers: base tiles with France's initial civics and has quite a few good buildings already. Never run a whip, by the way.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    1SDAN and Kojinesha like this.
  3. Kojinesha

Kojinesha Chieftain

Ah yes I did.

4. rmontaruli

rmontaruli Chieftain

:eek: :eek: :eek: Do cultural points of a GA depend of eras???
    I never realized that. :(

Maybe you suggest the right key to solve the puzzle.
    I'll try to collect GAs until 1700 and use them all together.

I thank you.:goodjob:

5. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Live and learn, my fiend, live and learn :) DoC has many hidden gems like this. Thankfully this particular one is well documented in Pedia.

6. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Very historical victory :mischief: : Napoleon arrived to Moscow right on time to claim the the 41.8% of Europe and 50.4% of North America, with token colonies in Africa, Asia, South America and Oceania. Also Paris has achieved Legendary Culture (50K :culture:).

Civ4ScreenShot0117.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0118.JPG

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  7. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

Didn't know Napoleon was a medic.

Kojinesha likes this.
  8. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

What is Medic in Civ4? Someone who helps military unit to regain it's stregth by nursing wounded soldiers back to health only? Or more like a Commander in Chief, who takes care of everything. Makes sure Cannons have enough ammunition after they "withdraw" from firing. Makes sure to recruit more men to "heal" "damaged" unit of Rifleman, which lost many soldiers in combat? Takes care of food and horses and warm clothes while battling Russian General Winter? Making sure men regain their morale after years of heavy fighting? Yes, I must attest that in terms of healing the strength of an Army Napoleon was a Medic 3. Only Great Generals can be Medic 3 :cool:

hnrysml and 1SDAN like this.
  9. Orbii

Orbii Chieftain

Something I like about changing the Holy Roman UHV to require controlling the Protestant shrine is that it actually gives you a real incentive to embrace the Reformation for the free shine if you founded, or if someone else did, to embrace the Counter-Reformation to war against them, which should lead to something like the Thirty Years War.

Also, can we talk about the English UHV? I recall some time ago there were some suggestions thrown around, like the Cape-to-Cairo railroad, and changing the naval UHV to be better. I particularly liked the idea of having twice the naval power of all other civs (or something like that) as much better than having X ships and sinking Y ships, which is the main reason I hate playing the English UHV. It has a lot more implicit requirements to it: staying ahead in naval tech, sinking the navies of competitors, and plain building boats.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  10. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I agree about English. Sinking ships can be easily abused by people giving some weak enemy gifts of obsolete Galleys and sinking them next turn with Cruisers.

11. Steb

Steb Chieftain

If you're playing historically, though, the Holy Roman Empire should remain Catholic.

Indeed, the English ship UHV is rather lame. At the very least, it should be more flexible in the types of ships allowed. For instance, ironclads don't count, which is kind of absurd if you have the ability to build them before 1800. "Have a stronger navy than all other civs combined" is more elegant and more flexible.

Also, does anyone feel like I do about the UHVs of the type "Be the first to discover 10 techs in era A and 10 techs in era B" (England, Germany, Japan)? First, their wording is ambiguous. But more importantly, I find these UHVs both challenging (which is good) and annoying/stressful (which is less good). They have 20 sub-requirements, which is far more than most other UHVs. And they basically require you to be the tech leader for two entire eras. I think this is too much, and that these UHVs would feel more focused if they involved a single era. Moreover, the choices are easy:
    • England: For 10 technologies in the Industrial era, be the first to discover the technology. (Instead of Renaissance + Industrial; Britain wasn't exactly the center of the Renaissance and Enlightenment)
    • Germany: For 10 technologies in the Global era, be the first to discover the technology. (Instead of Industrial + Global; Germany wasn't a leader in the Industrial revolution, and started to industrialize heavily only after 1871)
    • Japan: For 10 technologies in the Digital era, be the first to discover the technology. (Instead of Global + Digital; the post-war period is basically when Japanese technology became the future of the rest of the world)

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I think I will give UHVs an overall review during 1.16.

ales_ likes this.
  13. rmontaruli

rmontaruli Chieftain

Hi all, i need an explaination about 3rd Russian UHV: friendly relationship with 5 communist countries.
    What civics has a communist country?
    State party?
    Welfare?
    Or both?
    Or else?

Any suggestion on strategy to achive it?
    Is it better to give money, resources and techs, or declare war and vassalize, to impose communism to those countries?

14. Orbii

Orbii Chieftain

Communist civs are those running the Central Planning civic, unlocked by Macroeconomics. I've only done the UHV on the 1700 AD start, on an older Git revision, but the best way to get your Communist Brothers is peace vassals. Warring and Capitulating is also an option, as is converting through espionage a long-time tech partner. In the end, I got my five through a mix of the approaches. Just do everything possible to keep relations high: don't trade with worst enemies, comply with demands, give techs (not trade), try not to war them, liberate them cities, shared religion, and so on.

One thing I found really useful was to pump out Great Statesmen and to use their Diplo Mission power on capitulated civs or civs stuck at Pleased; generally that was enough to push them into Friendly territory. The good part about the power is that it removes some of the older negative modifiers which you might have accrued during your expansion/tech phases. The goal should also be easier now that vassal stability has been greatly improved from what it once was: vassals are no longer stability time bombs. Off memory, the five civs I used were:
    • Sweden/Vikings: Trade partner.
    • Poland: Early game capitulate.
    • Austria/Holy Rome: Peace vassal.
    • Italy: Peace vassal.
    • Japan: Trade partner.
    I had also capitulated Iran and Prussia, but they both collapsed.

1SDAN likes this.
  15. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Never seen this power in action, how do you even get to see the corresponding button? Take your guy to their capital? And how does this actually work? +5 extra to relations or something?

16. Orbii

Orbii Chieftain

I can't recall for certain; could be moving the Statesman to either the capital or just a city of the other civ. I believe it removes some of the previous red diplo modifiers, like the 'You declared war on our friend!' sort of things. I'm welcome to be corrected on this though.