Um some reddit posts are saying ai is harder than we are led to believe.

I seem to be doing rather poorly on my first game at emperor. I am lagging behind everyone in everything, and everyone is starting to gang up on me. I don't think I'll last much more than 50 turns. I aught to quit now but I want to play it out to learn as much as possible first. It's so weird playing a civ game and not knowing every little detail like its your own child. The AIs are all going around succeeding at stuff and I'm just sort of floundering aimlessly.

Im my game on king, Japan wiped out India to it's north (2 cities), then he came for me with 6-7 units. I defended my cap and beat him in the field and we made peace.

I (Prince, Sumer, Pangaea, Standard&Standard) was not at total war mode but declared some wars, klilled Germany, all AI denounced me but nobody declared on me (no eureka) :-( Good news is that Scytchia (!!!) was killed by Arabs.

Some of the AIs builds unit after unit after unit. I tried to fight a war against India but the Russian units were so thick in no mans land I could barely get any units near them. I saw 3 AI players destroyed in a single prince game.

Kongo is an absolute beast. 1870 I and the closest AI had 15 great people - Kongo 48 as well as wiping out Brasil and munching on China who'd already killed the Spanish.

But I'm still undecided on whether the AI is a challenge.

AI seems kind of trigger happy, yes. Immortal until T70, all AI on my continent have declared on me once so far. Germany has a battering ram heading my way, expecting them to declare again soon. Not that it matters much, because they're not very good at warfare and Eagle Warriors are seriously crazy. The 3 wars (+a city state I captured) have earned me about 10 builders. And all of the AI have payed me all their available gold for peace.

First game on King, Germany has come at me twice and been pushed back. Monty and Japan have been at war repeatedly but with little effect. Someone somewhere has eaten quite a few city states.

Reasonably impressed with the ai, nothing especially stupid and the agendas are working neatly.

AI declare war and it temporarily turn the game into zombie survive/defense game. :run:

I am yet to see the AI, 1.5 hours into the game

Then change your map and go up to Deity.

Deity/Continents/Standard/Standard

Got forward settled by Ghandi who then was unhappy that he couldn't steal my tiles and DoWed me. The maps on Deity become cramped fast with the exttra settlers the AI gets and all the bad locations for settling (rainforests/no fresh water etc.)

All those saying the AI is easy and passive are either not playing Deity or they are warmongering on 11. But if you are a master Archer/CBow rusher from Civ5 the AI will still fall on Civ6. Try playing a more turtlish and peaceful game and see youreslf get strangled by the expansionists or outright steamrolled early on when there are no warmonger penalties.

So far it seems on Deity early war is mandatory, whreres in civ 5 you could boom early on and avoid wars more or less. Unless you ended up right next to some rabid warmonger like Shakka or Monty.

Playing on King (too lazy and rusty to play higher), AI is prone to senseless DoW from continents away and then just sends their massive carpets into suicide trains even when the terrain is open. Just sad.

Playing on King (too lazy and rusty to play higher), AI is prone to senseless DoW from continents away and then just sends their massive carpets into suicide trains even when the terrain is open. Just sad.

Playing on Settler here. It's really bad, it's like the AI can't do anything! Really Firaxis, learn how to make games!

First game on Prince, the AI is being pretty aggressive - I've been attacked 3 times by the Renaissance era, and Monty has a hard-on for attacking CSs. Unfortunately for the AI, they seem pretty pathetic at actually fighting the wars. I had problems early on from barbs - I knew they would be stronger than previous games, but I still underestimated them - and quite sensibly, both Harald and Hojo jumped on me. I had 2 archers and a scout at the beginning of the war, and build one more of the former while fighting. The grand total damage done to me was needing to spend 1 turn repairing a library, and both peaced out giving me gold and luxuries without my units even leaving my territory. Harald's second attempt a bit later was even worse - three archers, a crossbow (I was short on cash to upgrade) and a spearman took his capital without loss despite my troops being scattered across my territory when he declared. Meanwhile, Monty has been fighting Carthage for over a millennium after failing to take another CS ealier....

First game on Prince, the AI is being pretty aggressive - I've been attacked 3 times by the Renaissance era, and Monty has a hard-on for attacking CSs. Unfortunately for the AI, they seem pretty pathetic at actually fighting the wars. I had problems early on from barbs - I knew they would be stronger than previous games, but I still underestimated them - and quite sensibly, both Harald and Hojo jumped on me. I had 2 archers and a scout at the beginning of the war, and build one more of the former while fighting. The grand total damage done to me was needing to spend 1 turn repairing a library, and both peaced out giving me gold and luxuries without my units even leaving my territory. Harald's second attempt a bit later was even worse - three archers, a crossbow (I was short on cash to upgrade) and a spearman took his capital without loss despite my troops being scattered across my territory when he declared. Meanwhile, Monty has been fighting Carthage for over a millennium after failing to take another CS ealier....

Mate what do you expect, prince is 1 level below the neutral threshold. On Prince YOU get the bonuses, not the AI. Might as well be easy, people would be fothing at the mouth if the AI sent carpets of doom on Prince.

Mate what do you expect, prince is 1 level below the neutral threshold. On Prince YOU get the bonuses, not the AI. Might as well be easy, people would be fothing at the mouth if the AI sent carpets of doom on Prince.

But if it doesn't have the forces to win, it really shouldn't be attacking....

And it's not just me being better than the AI, they can't beat each other or city states.

And it's not just me being better than the AI, they can't beat each other or city states.

On Deity the walk over City states wtihin the first 30 turns.

I just quit the game and now the AI won't do nothing no attacking no building no nothing. For crying out loud firaxis why do you hire such lazy AIs to be in your game use my money to hire better AI please. its easy so you must not even be trying. :shake:

Last edited:
Interesting. My first game will be on Deity. I want to lose. I want them to take my capital.

Prince is supposed to be "entertaining difficulty" as far as I concern. Meaning it's there to make players feel good.

Top Bottom