Um some reddit posts are saying ai is harder than we are led to believe.

First game I played, I made barely any units the entire game, and defended multiple wars. AI movement and strategy was way way way worse than community patch's ai.

Might just depend on ability, and of course if you do higher difficulties the AI gets advantages to make it better. Doesn't make the AI actually better.

First game I played, I made barely any units the entire game, and defended multiple wars. AI movement and strategy was way way way worse than community patch's ai.

Might just depend on ability, and of course if you do higher difficulties the AI gets advantages to make it better. Doesn't make the AI actually better.

If it's anything like Civ 5 it'll be very dependent on terrain. Open maps made the AI look okay, maps with chokepoints and bad terrain made it look hopeless.

Here is a quote from a redittor..

"I've already lost once on King and again on Prince... Constantly swarmed by enemies. I think in this version of civ it won't be about stealing workers but stealing cities as I can't fathom how the ai expands so fast and has a big military. Guess I'm just bad."

If it's anything like Civ 5 it'll be very dependent on terrain. Open maps made the AI look okay, maps with chokepoints and bad terrain made it look hopeless.

Eh, I was attacked by the AI leading with all catapults, and then melee behind them. No choke points, just silliness.

Maybe the AI is so good it was just pulling its punches in the press build so it could have us all under-estimating it, but the moment we get our hands on it, WHAM! :splat: Right in the kisser!

I'm afraid this is how the world ends, folks. :borg::assimilate:

Deity AI basically rolled over me after it declared war. Didn't even have _that_ many units, but they use them better than they did in Civ V, and the combat Bonus makes it REALLY hard to defend against them if you don't have much terrain to fall back to.

I didn't watch many videos though, and I didn't have a strategy either, was instead just playing around with all kinds of things.

I know I am not a great or even a good player. I do know that I like to be challenged and these posts are from average players like me and they are losing or barely surviving. I will not speak for anyone but the cries of a poor ai 'appear' to be a bit over stated at least for an average guy like me.

The AI may be competent at times and weak at others. I think it safe to say that the AI is inconsistent, perhaps its performance depends upon variables such as local geography & resources as well as the base AI agendas. This is just my sense from watching videos since I won't have the game up for a few hours yet.

Here is a quote from a redittor..

"I've already lost once on King and again on Prince... Constantly swarmed by enemies. I think in this version of civ it won't be about stealing workers but stealing cities as I can't fathom how the ai expands so fast and has a big military. Guess I'm just bad."

Doubt that dude is bad, it's just that not all of us are diety players or expecting our PCs to transform into Crays that can crank out human-like AI.

In Quill's stream earlier he got destroyed in his first game on emperor. His second game was going to totally smooth. Luck of the draw/map/etc.

Kinda like how I was saying clenching over one AI v AI match was silly because it was *just one match* and no game of civ every plays out exactly the same (not to mention civ isn't designed for AI v AI).

On Emperor, the Japan AI built literally two Warriors against my 8 Archers and 4 Warriors, and ran them in circles around its cities... Ymmv I guess. :lol: (It was Epic speed though, so that may have caused some issues.)

Edit: The barbarians are pretty brutal though (even if they do sometimes retreat when they shouldn't). They should give all Civs the barbarian AI and then work in some Civ-specific nuances based on that. ;)

From what I can gather from the comments of the AI lead, it seems that each civ has a customized AI. The inconsistency in the AI's performance might be explained by some cvs having a better tuned Ai than others. It would be interesting to note which civs are performing well, and under what conditions.

From what I can gather from the comments of the AI lead, it seems that each civ has a customized AI. The inconsistency in the AI's performance might be explained by some cvs having a better tuned Ai than others. It would be interesting to note which civs are performing well, and under what conditions.

Thumbs up to that suggestion!

I am yet to see the AI, 1.5 hours into the game

The AI seem to be actively declaring wars against me (and usually 2 of them gang up on me), although they rarely send units to attack during said war. Still, I keep getting notifications that a player has been wiped out somewhere. So the AI should know how to take cities, they just don't take mine.

EDIT: Prince difficulty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom