Uniforms

well mabey i'm a lill out of date for this but i have alwys thought that imperial Roman officers uniforms looked awsome....

particuarlly(sp?) when they have the front to back crest like the civ3 centurion has

Originally posted by PantheraTigris2
Hindenburg - I'm trying to find a pic that shows his gut in it's full grandeur...

let me remind u that he was not a soldier he was a commanding officer, i hope u understand the difference, his strenght wasnt on his physical, it was in his intellegence.

stalin006
let me remind u that he was not a soldier he was a commanding officer, i hope u understand the difference, his strenght wasnt on his physical, it was in his intellegence.

Wow, really? I didn't know that. I always thought that giant zeppelin was named in honor of the common foot soldier in the trenches of WWI. Thanks. I didn't understand the difference!

No, but seriously, there IS no difference between a Corporal, Sergeant, and Colonel, except rank - they are all soldiers. Don't go telling Gen. Franks @ CENTCOM he's not a soldier. Please, stalin006, stop trying to "teach" me things.

But back on the subject of uniforms, what about Zhukov, probably the most overly-decorated "Hero of the USSR", which is saying something, since Stalin liberally awarded himself a medal whenever he felt like it. If you've ever seen a pic of those guys' post-war portraits w/ all their medals - it's amazing they could even stand up straight. I used to have a great pic of 'em, but I can't find it right now. Very top-heavy; I wonder if they had back problems. :rolleyes:

Ahh, wait a minute, go here:
http://stalingrad_1943.tripod.com/stalingrad/id4.html

...and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

well stalin wasnt a military mind, he was incredibly bad at it, zhukov was different, he did have his good points and his vicotories were well deserved, perhaps the most overdecorated person of that time was the german in control of the luftwaffe, goring or somethign, forgot the spelling.

Originally posted by PantheraTigris2
One final thought on that...
In the Marines, we always had a great time laughing at overweight Navy personnel. It's a longtime tradition in the USMC. Seeing anyone that's fat in uniform just instantly makes me think of ridiculing them - since we placed such a high standard on physical appearance. But, I guess back in a different day, in a different place - things would have been looked at differently.

But I'll tell you one thing for sure, if that guy in that pic there showed up and called Marines into formation, and give them orders, we wouldn't be able to take him seriously, and the chuckling would be uncontrollable. If you're not a lean, mean, fighting machine, you've got no business being a leader. At least, that's how we see it.

A fat Marine general. Can't even imagine it.

well waht i was talking about in a few posts before was over teh fact that u dont have to be pure muscle to be a supreme military mind. i can understand how a fat person giving marines orders in the battle field would be bad, but i was taliking about generals at the top of the command chain, they can be fat, ugly, etc, but taht doesnt undermine his abitlity.

The SS, even more notorious obviously, but some really great looking unforms. Here's a few...

SS Hauptsturmführer of Panzerjäger...

SS Sturmbannführer of Panzer Grenadier...

Waffen SS Camouflaged Panzer Uniform...

Top Bottom