Unique Improvement Elimination Thread

Chateau- 18

Feitoria-13

Kasbah-15

Polder-15

Terrace Farm- 28

When I've played as Portugal I've found that I struggle to get many more than one or two extra luxuries from Feitorias.

On the over hand I love making super-large flood plain cities as the Dutch!

Hotels, Airports and the NVC only increase tourism from culture from specific sources (Wonders, Landmarks, Great Works, Brazilwood Camps, Moais, Chateaux according to the tooltip). So having culture from jungles doesn't do anything for your tourism.

I've experimented with a game as Brazil and the results are as follows.

With the Sacred Paths pantheon a jungle tile without a Brazilwood Camp (eg bananas) produces 1 culture but this does not contribute to the tourism that Hotels and Airports produce.

However, a jungle tile with a Brazilwood Camp and Sacred Paths produces 3 culture and all of this culture contributes to the tourism output of Hotels and Airports.

I imagine it would work the same way if as the Polynesians you took a pantheon to boost gold + silver or wine and incense and built a Moai on top.

I've experimented with a game as Brazil and the results are as follows.

With the Sacred Paths pantheon a jungle tile without a Brazilwood Camp (eg bananas) produces 1 culture but this does not contribute to the tourism that Hotels and Airports produce.

However, a jungle tile with a Brazilwood Camp and Sacred Paths produces 3 culture and all of this culture contributes to the tourism output of Hotels and Airports.

I imagine it would work the same way if as the Polynesians you took a pantheon to boost gold + silver or wine and incense and built a Moai on top.

Now, there is some incoherent design for us. I guess they just programmed the game to consider all culture from tiles with the tile improvements mentioned in the tooltip. :rolleyes:

Chateau- 19

Feitoria-13

Kasbah-9- I play with disable start bias on. Rather pointless if not on desert.

Polder-16 -This improvement really shines when you research economics (geddit, geddit?)

Terrace Farm- 28

So, does this mean the Terrace Farm wins?

Lets give it a crack.

Chateau- 19

Feitoria-13

Kasbah-9- I play with disable start bias on. Rather pointless if not on desert.

Polder-17

Terrace Farm- 25

Too bad about the Woodcamp. Those tiles do turn into monsters with a little work. Much better than Kasbah which turns a terrible tile into an "ok" tile. Chateau really is a nice UI that blends well with France, but I'll look at these as if a city state could gift them to me, which would I want. Lets get to the final showdown.

Up - Polder. There is no trade-off. You get a tile that you would otherwise put a farm on, and you put a super farm on it. On flood plains thats 5 food, 1 hammer, 2 gold. For a marsh you're getting 4 food, 2 hammers, 2 gold. So from a tile yield perspective, there is no contest. None.

Down - Lets take on the Terrace Farm. Whats it do ? It lets you build a farm on a hill. Thats it. Get a hill next to a river and you've got the Inca UI. If the hills next to a mountain you can get food yields equivalent to a polder.

So why's this even a discussion ? Scarcity. I agree that you're more likely to get a no use roll with the Dutch, whereas a "bad" Inca roll just means you can farm your hills. In the Polders case its not usable, in the Incas case its "meh". Win for the Terrace farm.

Good to great rolls favor the Polders. You want super cities, you want a good to great Polder roll, not an Inca roll. So if you're playing for greatness, roll with the polders.

Chateau- 19

Feitoria-13

Kasbah-9

Polder-18

Terrace Farm- 22

Voted down the Terrace Farm. Food on a hill, well normally in BNW my cities that have hills are using them for production, I can grow them with caravans and use the grassland and food resources for food. If I want a food city for GP farm it'll usually have plenty of food resource and maybe a couple hills to give the production.

Voted up the Polder. A Marsh or flood plains in BNW is basically a food tile. Polder will immediately give it 4 / 5 food, and eventually get the production and gold as an added bonus to your food tiles.

Chateau- 19

Feitoria-7

Kasbah-9

Polder-18

Terrace Farm- 24

Terrace Farm: Mountains are far more common than marsh, and if you spawn near mountains, you can make hills food/production powerhouses. Plus, they come entire era before polders.

Feitoria: If you're playing Portugal shouldn't you be trying to ally CS's anyway? I mean, with all that gold diplo victory is optimal choice for Portugal. I really don't like idea of sending workers to another side of the world just to make feitoria.

Chateau- 19

Feitoria-7

Kasbah-6

Polder-18

Terrace Farm- 25

I feel like the Kasbah is not that big of an upgrade over a Farm/Mine unless it's in a Petra city where it can turn worthless desert tiles into good tiles.

The Terrace Farm on the other hand is a game changer. In the worst case it lets you farm all of your hills, which by itself can turn bad city locations into great city locations. Add some mountains and it starts to become amazing. And if you manage to get desert hills near a mountain range with desert folklore and Petra... holy miracle Jesus riding a dinosaur batman!

Chateau- 16 meh, all of these improvements are pretty good. Still, this comes sort of lateish, and the defensive benefit isn't that great. It also has some pretty strict requirements on placement. Haven't played with France yet though, so I could be very wrong about this not being fantastic.

Feitoria-8 I love Portugal. This improvement saves you so much money!

Kasbah-3

Polder-18

Terrace Farm- 26

Chateau- 13
I guess Chateaux are okay to have in the late game, but I don't honestly see how they're that much better than brazilwood camps. Besides, if France ever gets invaded, then more times than not it's actually the invaders using the chateau defense bonus.

Feitoria-8

Kasbah-3

Polder-19

Terrace Farm- 25
Consider this vote an expression of my undying love for my favorite civ.

Chateau- 13

Feitoria-8

Kasbah-0

Polder-19

Terrace Farm- 26

Kasbah terminated. Just provides too marginal of an advantage.

Terrace Farm leads to growth, growth leads to science, and science leads to suffering winning.

Chateau - 13

Feitoria - 8

Polder - 19 + 1 = 20 - Still a great tile improvement.

Terrace Farm - 26 - 3 = 23 - Like the Terrace Farm, but it's "meh" unless near mountains.

I tested the terrace farm. I built a city in the middle of the desert with hills and mountains nearby. There was little to no food for the city. Once I built terrace farms, it started growing really fast. At the end of the game. It was at 32 pop

Top Bottom