Unique Unit Elimination Thread

Camel Archer 24 + 1 = 25 - They can be used for offense or defense, they are really powerful, yada yada yada...
Chu-Ko-Nu 38 - 3 = 35 - Eef, I hate to downvote these guys, but I think the Longbow trumps 'em.
Impi 12
Keshik 34
Longbowman 31

Camel Archer 24
Chu-Ko-Nu = 36
Impi 12
Keshik 34
Longbowman 28

Without plus 1 sight you need another unit or spy to get your shots off.

Moving after attacking is always nice

Camel Archer 24
Chu-Ko-Nu 36
Impi 12
Keshik 35
Longbowman 25

Playing on a plains map? Longbowmen are nice.
But on normal maps, mountains, forest, jungle, and hills make the Longbowmen less amazing.

Keshiks...really does anything need to be said?
They get XP in a hurry, so before long you can move in, shoot twice, and move out.
A ridiculously amazing unit, and the only reason the Mongols aren't one of the worst civs.

cpm post was ignored
Camel Archer 25 +1= this and the keshik beat any of the other unit of the list
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Impi 12-3=9 melee...
Keshik 35
Longbowman 25

Impi 12 I love these guys but they are just pikemen and I think rifling is a pretty long time to wait around with 16 str. The buffalo promotions are what really makes this unit good and that comes from the UB. Try rushing steel and cranking out some longswords with them, suddenly the impi isn't as great...that and I already believe the other 4 are my top 4, I can't in good conscience vote any of them down until this guy's gone

The Impi's main attraction is the extra ranged attack. That's bonus damage and double XP, which effectively stacks multiplicatively with the honor XP bonus and the Zulu UA. You don't get that with longswords.

Anyway, all of the remaining units are so good that it's hard to come up with meaningful negatives at this point.

Camel Archer 26
Chu-Ko-Nu 32 - Keshiks can get 2x fire really fast as well, I love all these but I would pick other units over Chu-Ko-Nu
Impi 9
Keshik 35
Longbowman 26 - most versataile of the bunch, ready on arrival, best at offense (artillery) best at city garrison, multiple Longbow units stacks well together, good at peace games thx to machine gun upgrade, I think they have most trumps in their favor

The Impi's main attraction is the extra ranged attack. That's bonus damage and double XP, which effectively stacks multiplicatively with the honor XP bonus and the Zulu UA. You don't get that with longswords.

Anyway, all of the remaining units are so good that it's hard to come up with meaningful negatives at this point.

I know what you mean and I spam impis when I play the Zulu too, they're cheap and devastating against units but longswords are much better meatshields for protecting ranged and siege units when it comes to taking cities. They also become musketmen shortly after you build them so they stay useful right up until rifling but trying to keep impis alive against renaissance cities and muskets can be rough. Just trying to justify my votes the best I can.

Camel Archer 26
Chu-Ko-Nu 32
Impi 7
Keshik 32
Longbowman 27

It's a lot easier to whether an Impi storm until you have Gatling Guns then push back than any of the other units on this list.

Speaking of trying to hold off a medieval/renaissance attack and then push back with Gatling Guns, that's going to be both hard and futile against Longbows. A tip for dealing with forest obstructions, bring a worker and some melee. Have the melee cover the worker while he chops the offending forest. This is pretty essential in Into the Renaissance if you want to take out the Celts early as England.

Camel Archer 26
Chu-Ko-Nu 32
Impi 10 These guys scare me
Keshik 32 These guys don't
Longbowman 26

Against AI's, there used to be a glitch (not sure if it still exists) that all the impis the AI used to attack would ranged attack first, then melee attack all at once, obviously giving them an advantage. The Keshiks, on the other hand, aren't utilized well at all by the AI, which may be a reason that you think this way.

Try playing against a player wielding Keshiks. You just can't hit them.

Camel Archer 23 These are strong for this one unit I would rather have promotion carry over.
Chu-Ko-Nu 32
Impi 8 These guys are definitely scary not unbeatable but scary.
Keshik 32
Longbowman 27

My story with my first encounter with Impi's. Beginning notes there were mods but none affecting how Zulu work in the game here.
Ok I was Byzantium (shocker) and Zulu's as well as some other nations like Japan were coming on strong to my buddy Moldavia (Modded civ along with Wallachia) anyways Zulu sent in probably 8 Impi plus 3 Catapults 1 trebuchet with 2-3 Comp bows. I sent in about 2 musket men and 1 crossbow men in harass the enemy until siege weapons were built and reinforcements came from the north and Moldavia's capital Suceva was already taken their second Iasi was not. Now them Impi were strong and those men I sent in were my strongest with good promotions and they weren't affected as so much by the ranged than as the Impi One musket man I lost very quickly. The other musket man was heavily damaged and had to retreat at the cost of the other musket man. My crossbow man was wasn't getting hit they were ignoring him but he wasn't making very good dents against them either like 13-19 damage a hit it was unbelievable how strong they were! And that's why I rate them up so good I lost my city Nicaea temporarily soon as my reinforcements came they retreated and took both city's back but very painfully I might add.

The Keshiks, on the other hand, aren't utilized well at all by the AI, which may be a reason that you think this way.

I beg to differ. The AI does know how to hit and run at times with Keshiks, AI knows the best promotions (up to accuracy 3, then double attack, then range), but AI doesn't know how to use double attack.

Camel Archer 23
Chu-Ko-Nu 32
Impi 5 Impi may be great in melee warfare but they're not that great when attacking cities. Ranged attack doesn't apply to city attacks.
Keshik 32
Longbowman 28 Currently the best unit I think, that enables really powerful ranged infantry units later on, provided that you keep them alive.

Camel Archer 24
Chu-Ko-Nu 32
Impi 5 +1 = 6
Keshik 29 - 3 = 26
Longbowman 28

Disregarding Jlim201's second vote two minutes after his last one.

+1 to Impi: I don't hate Melee like seemingly the rest of the world does: they upgrade faster than Ranged and I like to take Cover early. Buffalo promotions + Cover makes these guys almost indestructible to ranged attacks. Then turn them into Rifles and laugh at the rest of the world attempting to kill you.

-3 to Keshik: I'm down to nitpicks here, but I dislike having to scrap ranged attack promotions if and when you make these guys into melee again. Also pretty sure that these guys are bugged not to count as mounted units because Formation doesn't seem to work against them (with Lancers).

Perhaps now is a good time to scale the votes a little bit, as this will eventually turn into a tug-o-war between units? Say, +2 and -5?

Camel Archer 25 You can't be wrong with a strong ranged unit that can last you all the way to the industrial era, something the keshik could only dream of achieving (yeah there's the promotions, but the reduced strength will become apparent at that point in the game).
Chu-Ko-Nu 32
Impi 6
Keshik 23 See my post on the Camel Archer above.
Longbowman 28

No keep at +1 and -3

No, this vote will only last for another week or so anyway. I like the tug of war mechanic at work here. It's interesting to see each unit decreasing at similar rates. I guess that means these are all pretty even units that really depends on playstyle in the end.

I might enjoy seeing how many votes it takes for each unit to be eliminated. That might give an indication of how strong units are compared to each other, and show clear break points where one unit is clearly better than the next one in line.

Tug-of-war isn't possible because the down votes are higher (or lower rather :p)

The only thing changing those numbers will do is greatly reduce the number before one is voted off, but that isn't a good idea as if there is a short swing of votes one way or the other, it can vote off one of them before the supporters get a chance to vote it back up and vote down the other choice.

Best to keep the numbers smaller, imo.

Top Bottom