1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit Requests: Medieval Balkans

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Partizanac, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Balam-Agab

Balam-Agab God King

I'm still working on it, but i've been swamped in work and my computer had a trojan i was struggling to get rid of. i should be finished by the end of weekend if all goes as planed.

2. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

A Trojan? But Troy wasn`t in the Balkans :p

3. Balam-Agab

Balam-Agab God King

well, the trojan came to my hard drive, took helen and ran back

4. Micaelus

Micaelus aspiring scholar

I'm slowly working on the animations for the mounted swordsmen, to which I'll add lances eventually as well, but in the mean time, here's something more in my comfort zone for the time being: the Bulgarian Peasants.

The hacking animation of an axe is seemingly different from the mechanics of the sword swing, so I'll be picking at that for a bit yet.

I've checked the Total War forum that these models have been coming from for more swordsmen and spearmen but none have been uploaded in quite some time. If anyone has concepts for other Balkan states' swordsmen and spearmen (or other medieval European kingdoms that need doing), I'd be happy to apply the animations I used on the others to new models. That way I could produce those with a little less effort while continuing to work on the mounted units and my archery animations...for now, I'll keep working on this guy.

5. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

How about Romania? :D Are they balkans enough?
    I'm talking about Dacians, Huns, etc :D

6. Micaelus

@Quinzy-- So far as I'm concerned: Romania in the guise of Transylvania and Wallachia, sure! Moldova too I suppose. You have pics? Dacians (to my knowledge) were more ancient/classical era and the Huns are a bit east of what I'd like to be working on at the moment (in culture more than geography, I suppose).

7. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

8. Partizanac

Partizanac Serbian Ambassador in CFC

But Wallachia had big influence from Poland that I read... and they where Romanian (pagan) enough, I mean they did fight a war against the Bulgars... but I think we need Mirc and Heretic_Cata for this one :D

@Micaelus I was worried about you :) glad your still whit us and not giving up on those darn Horsemen :p as for the peasant his awesome! :goodjob:

As for the site, they are finishing the Turks now, and will be moving back to Bulgars and Serbs and Wallachians.

9. Partizanac

OK I've done a bit of reading in that forum, and let me say Stormrage will be very happy :)

Spoiler :

Micaelus, if you decide to do this Croatian Knight, I would suggest using the "chess table" shield (one with red color and one with Civ color) :) and feel free to do mounted and foot version :D of this knight

10. Partizanac

11. Stormrage

I am happy! Thats a great picture :) I don`t think we used Norman styled shields, tho :hmm: More like the shield Virote`s Balkan Knight uses.

12. Micaelus

So for a Croatian swordsman, full mailsuit without any leather or anything over it, helmet with bar between the eyes and the same shield Virote used, but with the checkerboard civ-color pattern?

13. Stormrage

Not civ-color, red and white is a must :) You can give him a civ-colored surcoat (Utah`s prop) tho :)

14. Micaelus

Alrighty. I should have known better than to stray from the Croatian CoA... ;)

15. Partizanac

but how sure are you? I mean they have historians over there where they based the models on... I mean, Croatian made those :mischief::p

16. Stormrage

Not 100 % sure, but I don`t like it ;) Plus, there isn`t a single image of a Croatian knight on Google Almighty, and just cos a Croat made them doesn`t make them accurate ;)

As for the historical accuracy of (historical) video games.. did you notice how the gaming industry somewhat behaves like Holywood these days? ;)

17. Partizanac

18. Stormrage

Civ3`s Blue Jeans Berserker with an axe that weighs half a ton! Yeeahaw!

Every croatian knight pictured on that mod`s webpage has the shield I recommend, only the guys with the red and white checkers have a norman shield. Since the mod is about Normans in Italy, and the main modding method for such units is reskining.. well.. you know..

19. Micaelus

Some more previews...I've decided to go with Storm on this one so far as shield shape is concerned. Hats off to Gen Rommel :hatsoff: for his transparency tutorial, which helped the creation of the Croat model greatly...

Also, I decided to improve on the Peasant a bit, make him more dynamic, by having the default pose with his hand resting on his axe which is through a belt loop. Here's that, as well as a preview of my first take at the fortify animation--removing the axe from the belt. Any suggestions on shifting the grip on the axe haft?

20. Partizanac

wooow! I think he's awesome! :goodjob:

I think from this guy there could be transformed to Serbian peasant.
    if you give him this hat
    And this is a Wallachian peasant.