Unit Requests: Medieval Balkans

Alright...more peasant animation previews:

EDIT: Now with run.

I haven't found anything to texture for the Serbian/Wallachian hat yet, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears (eyes...whatever) ;)

EDIT: See below for first effort at this hat...but if anyone has something better, I'm still interested!

My first attempt at the peasant hat...colored as it will be for the Wallachian; imagine it black for the Serbian peasant.

Will it pass?

Alright...more peasant animation previews:

Could you release this version as well, please? Makes a nice mediterranean peasant. :)

Could you release this version as well, please? Makes a nice mediterranean peasant. :)

Of course! Probably 3 versions...no hat, black hat, and Wallachian (with pant stripes, etc).

Well for alot of the middle ages, Romania was under Bulgarian control, so you have the 800-1200AD slot filled, but I mean late Dacians, just before the Bulgarians absorbed them into the empire :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania_in_the_Dark_Ages

It was definitely under Bulgarian control for most of the time, but we mustn't forget that the second Bulgarian empire was called in their own documents "Empire of the Bulgarians and Vlachs", which was hilariously translated to "Empire of the Bulgarians and shepherds", since "Vlach" means (meant?) also shepherd in Bulgarian (which came to this meaning the same way in which in Romanian the word meaning "person from Leipzig" used to mean "merchant" - if a high number of people from there have that profession, it will stick). And that the Bulgarian control came and went many times, being far from continuous.

Not that it matters much, but almost nobody knows that nowadays (and if you bring that up in any real discussion, every Bulgarian is going to jump at your throat thinking you want to take credit for the whole empire, which is not at all what any sane person would suggest).

But Wallachia had big influence from Poland that I read...
I'm not sure what you mean, the only thing that I can think of is the national symbol which is the same, but which is so common in the world that almost every country had it at some point or another (the eagle).

- religion: different
- language: totally different
- state structure: totally different
- government: different
- not much population intermixing (I don't think there ever was a Romanian minority in Poland or the other way around).

But maybe you're referring to something I don't know. :)

and they where Romanian (pagan) enough, I mean they did fight a war against the Bulgars... but I think we need Mirc and Heretic_Cata for this one :D
Romania was not pagan at all, actually it has the third oldest European church, discounting temples that were turned into churches. Byzantine documents speak about Christianity in that area earlier than the 5th century AD. The earliest Christian symbol (an ornamented cross) found is from around 500 AD.

Thanks a lot for making those Micaelus!! :D

Oh and the peasant looks very Romanian. Great.

well I do wish I know more about Romanian and Wallachian history, I always thought Wallachians are one of the Romanian people. In Eastern Serbia there are Serbian Wallachians, a big number of them, and to me their outfits look a bit mixture of Romanians and Bulgarians...

As for Poland, I read that the Poland Empire(Kingdom) at one point was stretching all the way to Romania, it was consisting some parts of todays Moldavia and Ukraine and normally such a big and expanding kingdom would have some influence on its neighbors (not in culture but in politics and such).

well I do wish a know more about Romanian and Wallachian history, I always thought Wallachians are one of the Romanian people. In Eastern Serbia there are Serbian Wallachians, a big number of them, and to me their outfits look a bit mixture of Romanians and Bulgarians...
"Wallachia" is just another name for Romania. :)

In the Middle Ages, Wallachia was called in Romanian "Teara Romaneasca" (and the region is still called so), which means "Romanian land" (Vulgar Latin "Terra Romanesca).

The name "Wallachia" is just an exonym (a name given to a group of people by the outsiders, different to what they call themselves), same as Germany is for Deutschland (which never called itself Germany in its whole history and still doesn't today).

Moreover, the term has exactly the same origin as "Wales" and "Wallonia" in Belgium, and Wlochy is also the name for Italians in Poland and the same name for Italy is used in slightly different versions in other Slavic languages for both Romania and Italy, or just one of them, depending on what people they had more contact with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_term_Vlach (it's quite an interesting story IMHO).

Quoting Wiki:

"The Slavic term in turn derives from Germanic: it originates with *Walha by which the early Germanic tribes called their Celtic neighbours, possibly derived from the name of the tribe which was known to the Romans as Volcae (in the writings of Julius Caesar) and to the Greeks as Ouólkai (Strabo and Ptolemy).

As the Celts of Gaul were Romanized, the word changed its meaning to "Romanic people", as it is still kept in the name of the Walloons of Belgium, and in the German exonyms:

* Welsche, often used in the German speaking part of Switzerland to refer to the people of the French-speaking Romandy,
* Walsche, often used in the German speaking part of Italy to refer to Italians,
* Walsche, used in Switzerland and South Tyrol for various Rhaeto-Romanic peoples, and
* in numerous placenames (but also Walnuss (Walnut)), for instance Walensee and Walenstadt, as well as Welschbern and Walschtirol (now almost always Verona and Trentino), and especially Walachen/Walachei (Wallachians/Wallachia).

In English a similar form is used for (originally Romano-Celtic) Wales and Welsh, and for the ending -wall in Cornwall."

As for Poland, I read that the Poland Empire(Kingdom) at one point was stretching all the way to Romania, it was consisting some parts of todays Moldavia and Ukraine and normally such a big and expanding kingdom would have some influence on its neighbors (not in culture but in politics and such).

Yes, Poland was stretching all the way to Romania, since it contained the whole of today's Ukraine, plus Lithuania, plus parts of today's Russia, but it didn't control any part of today's Romania.

It did control the Moldovan region of Bukovina, which later united with Romania until WW2 when half of it was taken by the Soviets (now being half in Romania half in Ukraine).

Regardless of the historical situation ( ;) ) I thought I'd let you know that I'm planning on releasing 4 peasants, which I have finished rendering.

Generic Balkan; Bulgarian; Serbian; Wallachian
(the Generic Balkan and Bulgarian will probably be released as a single unit, with the option to be with or without the hat)

EDIT: Wallachian added.

So far as the term Wallachia, my understanding had been that it was used to refer to a specific medieval Romanian principality, as opposed to Transylvania or Moldavia. So I name my unit correctly, would Romanian Peasant be more appropriate for the one previously labeled Wallachian?

On that note, the peasants are nearly done...I need to finish 'flic-ifying' them, but they are all rendered, PCXs created, etc.

After that, there may be a bit of a slow down as I focus on my studies a bit more intently. I haven't determined whether I'll attack the mounted units with renewed fervor now or finish the Croatian swordsman and look to the more recently posted images...probably the mounted units.

So far as the term Wallachia, my understanding had been that it was used to refer to a specific medieval Romanian principality, as opposed to Transylvania or Moldavia. So I name my unit correctly, would Romanian Peasant be more appropriate for the one previously labeled Wallachian?

It was used for that, just not in the Romanian language. :) In English, Wallachian peasant makes perfect sense (even if you can go in the middle of Wallachia and ask any Romanian that doesn't speak English and he will have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, since it's a foreign name given to the area), so I don't really know if it should be changed. :)

Well no offense, but the Civ3 is an "English" game so English terms would be favored :) if you name him Romanian Medieval Peasant you would get comments like "there was no Romania in middle ages", but if you name him Wallachian Medieval Peasant, no such comments would be posted :)
And besides then we could call Byzantine soldiers the "Roman Soldiers" cause they called them selfs "Romans" and their empire "Roman Empire" :)

As for the looks, I'm satisfied :goodjob: and Thanks dude!!!! :clap:

As for the time, and the studies, I'd prefer if you'd take a brake and do a bit more of studying, cause I'm a "Worker in Studying", currently I'm studying to pass the test so I can do the practical studying :D and later becoming a full employee... so I know how its like, and this can disturb your studying ;)

PS. Go study!!!!!! :mad:

Here's a Wallachian Halberd, matching this model:

Animating this may be a bit of a...pain...with the surcoat and kilt to deal with, but it was fun to put this model together.

However, I am having a little difficulty with the shirt he is wearing under the surcoat as the mail layer...I made a trans-map so his skin would show through where the coat's v-neck is, but rather than showing the skin beneath, it renders black. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Top Bottom