Unit requests thread

Okay thanks. That's not very close but let's see :)

Anyone have a 300-style Immortal infantryman? (Stupid and ridiculous as the movie is, I have to admit they're kind of cool) I could have sworn it was available on the forum a while ago but it seems to be gone.

I wonder if someone would like to create a realistic All Terrain Vehicle / Quad.
I know there is the Rover of the Alpha Centaurie Mod, but this looks merely like a Fast Attack Vehicle. And the Quad from the Dune Mod also does not look like a quad.
I would also be interestes in a three-wheeled ATV like this, but I do not know if such vehicles have ever been user for military purpose (except in Computer Games):

The Trike from Dune is also too much as a science fiction unit.

I am looking forward for a cart I can use for a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachanka unit. I think I can add the machinegun by myself, but I have no idea if a suitable cart exists:

Maybe this mail carriage in the attachements can be used after removing the top. It is from colonization, I do not remember the creator, I think it was a user named Fankman.

Attachments

• Wells_Fargo.7z
    337.1 KB · Views: 160
I am looking forward for a cart I can use for a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachanka unit. I think I can add the machinegun by myself, but I have no idea if a suitable cart exists:

Maybe this mail carriage in the attachements can be used after removing the top. It is from colonization, I do not remember the creator, I think it was a user named Fankman.

Actually the Tachanka unit already exists, by Ramzay1945. It isn't animated, but here it is.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/russian-civil-war-1917-1922.491353/

Thanks for the hint! :goodjob:
Unfortunately I could not find a download-link (only for the red army pack which I already use), but I will get the missing link from ramzay1945.

I am not sure if I understood your question. Can you eplain it, by an example, or with pictures from what you have and what you ask me to do?
Do you mean "How to add a new texture (.dds) to a new model"? No.
All I can do is to repaint an existing texture (Which not always looks good). But if it uses the same area for different parts of a model, then I have problems.

Oh I see. Unfortunately, I need textures added to new models. I have new citysets and new "what if" units that need texturing. Does anyone else know how to do so? I recently finished a Japanese transport unit...

I think I may post a thread with the models, and pictures of the sources from which the models are derived. Perhaps someone will be willing to take a crack at them. I just want to see these make it to the game....

I need some help with animations. Because Ramzay did not answer to his treat, I tried do build a Tachanka by myself. It is not as good as his model, but my problem is not due to its cart, but the animations. I managed it to make the machinegun firing modern rifleblasts, and I made the cart turn around in battles, so it fires in the right direction (similar as I did if for my horse artillery. But I could not make the horse turn with the cart, and now it looks like this:
Civ4ScreenShot0050.JPG

Is there anyone skilled enough to change this? The unit files are in the attachement.

Attachments

• Tatschanka.7z
    309.1 KB · Views: 148
I am not sure how you made the cart turn via animations but have you considered just turning the gun instead? That might be easier and those things were on a swivel mount anyway.

For a realistic combat, the whole cart should turn around - these carts used their machine guns to fire on haunting cavalry.
Yes, it might be easier, and if noone can help me, I maybe have to do it. But first I try to get once.

To make the cart turn around, I edited Chariot_Celtic_MD_StrikeA.kf and did a 180° turn for the MD block (with a NiTransformInterpolator , block 96). I thougth, this should affect all bones, because MD is the master for all other bones. But it turns only the cart. And when I tried the same with HorseBipSpine, it had no effect.

I wonder if someone could make a bus, as a light unarmored personal carrier.

I also would be interested in a railroad-passenger-car, maybe converted from Sid Meiers Railroads.

I need some help with animations. Because Ramzay did not answer to his treat, I tried do build a Tachanka by myself. It is not as good as his model, but my problem is not due to its cart, but the animations. I managed it to make the machinegun firing modern rifleblasts, and I made the cart turn around in battles, so it fires in the right direction (similar as I did if for my horse artillery. But I could not make the horse turn with the cart, and now it looks like this:
View attachment 534269
Is there anyone skilled enough to change this? The unit files are in the attachement.
The problem seems to be that the horse gets rotated twice, once due to the MD node, the second time since the MD node also rotates the Horse bones. Good question though why the soldier is only rotated once.

Anyhow, I created a dummy node instead for the rotation, which is a bit of a cleaner solution from my point of view and gives some more options to play around with. I have attached the changed files.

To explain what I did:

First I created in the nif file the node Dummy_Unit_Node (as a child of the MD NonAccum) and made the static meshes, the skeletons and the gunfire effect children of that node, then removed them from the children list of the MD NonAccum. Next I set the Flags of the Dummy_Unit_Node to 6 (so that it will be influenced by commands from the kf files in-game, should be 22 if it is has no further bones as children) and added the node to the Extra Targets of the NiMultiTargetTransformController node (again to make it accessable for the kf files in-game).

Now the Dummy_Unit_Node is a bones node that can be altered with the kf files. So all there was left to do was create orders for the node in the necessary kf files. To make the whole turning look more natural, I put it in the Chariot_Celtic_MD_FortifyA file. For this, I duplicated one of the NiTransformInterpolator nodes with a NiTransformData child and set all Translation and Rotation values of the NiTransformInterpolator to zero. In the NiTransformData child, I set the Num Rotation Keys to 2 and the Rotation Type to QUADRATIC_KEY. Also I made sure that the Num Keys for the Translations is set to zero (those would be used to move the bones xyz-wise, if you want to use those at one time, make sure that the Interpolation is set to LINEAR_KEY or QUADRATIC_KEY). The first of the two Quaternion Keys I set to zero all (that is the starting position), while the second one I set the Time to 0.5 (end time of the animtion) and the rotation to 180°. Next I added this new NiTransformInterpolator node to the Controlled Blocks of the NiControllerSequence by increasing the Num Controlled Blocks by 1, refresh with the green circle arrow icon and then added the necessary entries in that new Controlled Block for Interpolator (number of the NiTransformInterpolator node), String Palette (same as in all the other entries), Node Name Offset (name of the bone in the nif file) and Controller Type Offset (NiTransformController for NiTransformInterpolator nodes).

I added a NiTransformInterpolator node the same way to the Chariot_Celtic_MD_FortifyA_Idle, Chariot_Celtic_MD_Idle, Chariot_Celtic_MD_Run and Chariot_Celtic_MD_StrikeA files, since for those the rotation direction will be important. But this time, there is no rotation animation involved, so the NiTransformData child is not necessary. I just added the rotation directly in the NiTransformInterpolator file (180° for Chariot_Celtic_MD_FortifyA_Idle and Chariot_Celtic_MD_StrikeA, 0° for Chariot_Celtic_MD_Idle and Chariot_Celtic_MD_Run).

And that's it. hope it works for you.

Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• Tatschanka_SL.zip
    114.4 KB · Views: 89
Thank you very much, I will test it immediatelly.
I am not sure, if I understood, what you did (I usually do not work with animations quite often), but it seems a lot of work. When I try something like this again, I will look here again carefully, and hope I will learn from it. :thumbsup:

It works very well now! Perfect!

Last edited:
Thank you very much, I will test it immediatelly.
I am not sure, if I understood, what you did (I usually do not work with animations quite often), but it seems a lot of work. When I try something like this again, I will look here again carefully, and hope I will learn from it. :thumbsup:

It works very well now! Perfect!
No worries, I am happy that is works for you.

And the animation stuff isn't that much work really, just looks like it since it is written down. ;)

Top Bottom