Updated system requirements on Aspyr's site

i5 vs i7 is an important factor too. I don't know the specifics, but an i7 will always be better than an i5 of the same generation.

Yeah, for the windows requirements, they said 2.5ghz i5 is reccomended (quad core). My i7 falls slightly short of the Mac requirements, but it should be fine? Do you reccomend boot camp then? I could probably get Max settings out of it there.

It's strange though, almost every Mac device with the exception of a loaded iMac can't run this game. Civ 5 is a cake walk to run in comparison.

Lately it's because Apple has been developing it's own graphics API (Metal) instead, for both Mac and iOS. Metal is superior to OpenGL in most ways, but it's apparently still missing some functionality crucial to gaming. Aspyr chose not to use it for Civ6 because of this, but they stated they may revisit that in the future if Apple make the necessary improvements. Both Metal and OpenGL are miles behind Microsoft's DirectX though, and I don't foresee that gap closing anytime soon. This, combined with Apple's use of midrange GPUs, is why Macs have such a poor reputation for gaming.

This is so crazy, I've never heard somebody put it this way before. So why do you think that Apple is so far behind. Do they just not put enough money in this field? It's no surprise Mac can't run a game, but I wonder why the company still hasn't set out to solve this issue...

Yeah, for the windows requirements, they said 2.5ghz i5 is reccomended (quad core). My i7 falls slightly short of the Mac requirements, but it should be fine? Do you reccomend boot camp then? I could probably get Max settings out of it there.

If you're willing to put up with Bootcamp, it will definitely run better there. Should run well enough on the Mac side though.

It's strange though, almost every Mac device with the exception of a loaded iMac can't run this game. Civ 5 is a cake walk to run in comparison.

Civ6 graphics are kinda deceptive. The art style makes them look more 'cartoonish' than Civ5's but everything is rendered in much more detail and with significantly more animation.

This is so crazy, I've never heard somebody put it this way before. So why do you think that Apple is so far behind. Do they just not put enough money in this field? It's no surprise Mac can't run a game, but I wonder why the company still hasn't set out to solve this issue...

It's never been a priority for them. They want their machines to be able to do film editing, graphical design, etc, so they choose GPUs and APIs that excel at those, but not necessarily anything more. Gaming is much more demanding and therefore requires sacrifice in areas such as battery life, size, weight, and thermal regulation, which Apple aren't usually willing to make. The only reason Metal really came into existence is because gaming took off on iOS in a big way, which I don't think Apple were expecting. OpenGL wouldn't be any good on iOS, so it made it sense that they developed their own API instead. And then since they'd done that, it made sense to use it for Mac as well. But I imagine many of Metal's shortcomings when compared to OpenGL and DirectX are due to its origins on iOS. I suspect their primary aim for Metal is to enable developers to easily port games between iOS and Mac, rather than attracting developers to port their games from Windows or consoles.

It's never been a priority for them. They want their machines to be able to do film editing, graphical design, etc, so they choose GPUs and APIs that excel at those, but not necessarily anything more.
Not just that, but there's also Geographical Information Systems (GIS) (in other words, digital mapping).

Just wanted to post in here to let you guys know. I'm running CIV VI on my 2015 MacBook (well below the minimums in almost every way), through bootcamp and Windows 10, and it's working like a dream. I've played more than thirty hours and have no issues (other than the Windows Defender issue that EVERYONE was having).

Wait, what?!? A MacBook? I have the 1.3 GHz and never imagined it could ever play this game! But I only have 18G free so I can't really install Boot Camp. How well does it work in the late game, on full size maps? And have you tried to play the native Mac version?

Last edited:
Wait, what?!? A MacBook? I have the 1.3 GHz and never imagined it could ever play this game! But I only have 18G free so I can't really install Boot Camp. How well does it work in the late game, on full size maps? And have you tried to play the native Mac version?

yeah! I gave in and bought one of the new MacBook pros a little while after they came out, so now I'm running the Mac version on my mbp with no problems. but I completed multiple games on big maps (10+ civs) while playing on my MacBook through bootcamp. no issues!

Top Bottom