Updates to City Names

A few cities should still be tough to retake for Byzantium though; they didn't fully recover from the Seljuks. Might be a good idea to spawn guardian units on city conquest in some provinces.

Also, it's a general "problem" with the barbs: they do nothing with their cities. Or barely. Independents work more like regular civilizations though. Maybe - just maybe - turn some of the barb Seljuk conquests into independents at some point? It would also be a nice way to represent states like Rûm.

Ok, historically speaking the interior of Anatolia was never recaptured *completely* by the Byzantines after the fateful battle of Manzikert. That is why I'm saying that a non-playable Sultanate of Rum faction should be available (like Byzantium in RFC, independent state, no LH), or the barbs need to be upped big time, with defensive units, because having the Arabs or the Byzantines in control of Anatolia is just wrong. It would be like having Northern France not being contested by the English or something like that.

No, a minor faction isn't needed, independents are sufficient and they'd also represent the strife there was in central Anatolia, which wasn't always united under the Sultanate of Rûm. And I don't see what it would add.

Defensive Seljuk units may be a good idea. A few Crossbows and maybe couple of Pikes.

A few cities should still be tough to retake for Byzantium though; they didn't fully recover from the Seljuks. Might be a good idea to spawn guardian units on city conquest in some provinces.

Yeah, I'm convinced.
A few defensive barbarians won't hurt.

The Strasbourg tile for France is Trier for Germany. I think the French name is accurate, Trier is further North than that position on the map. Upon closer inspection, more than one tile might be unsynchronized in that area. "/ I would stick to the French map and change the German names accordingly. I don't know what Burgundy's condition is in this area, same as the French, no? Where is that tool that allows one to look at all the city names for a tile and synchronize them with each other? I'd like to take a look at that.

The German map is pretty new, so i would be suprised if they were synchronized at all. Can you tell me which spot you mean exactly (both citites have more than one)? Also, did you play beta 11 or the newest SVN-Version?

The Strasbourg tile for France is Trier for Germany. I think the French name is accurate, Trier is further North than that position on the map. Upon closer inspection, more than one tile might be unsynchronized in that area. "/ I would stick to the French map and change the German names accordingly. I don't know what Burgundy's condition is in this area, same as the French, no? Where is that tool that allows one to look at all the city names for a tile and synchronize them with each other? I'd like to take a look at that.

The German map is pretty new, so i would be suprised if they were synchronized at all. Can you tell me which spot you mean exactly (both citites have more than one)? Also, did you play beta 11 or the newest SVN-Version?

Alright guys, I wanted to wait with this, as some provinces may still change, but maybe it's better if we start this right now: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=429472

I have not been following this too closely, so I just want to make a point. We can split Brandenburg province, this really doesn't matter much, however, don't split Saxony. Saxony is important for the French Charlemagne UHV.

I have not been following this too closely, so I just want to make a point. We can split Brandenburg province, this really doesn't matter much, however, don't split Saxony. Saxony is important for the French Charlemagne UHV.

If we split Saxony, we can always add both new provinces to the French UHV.
It would still be doable that way. You can always get an extra settler from one if your cities ;)
Having said that, I also don't think it's necessary to split Saxony

If we split Saxony, we can always add both new provinces to the French UHV.
It would still be doable that way. You can always get an extra settler from one if your cities ;)
Having said that, I also don't think it's necessary to split Saxony

You need to get an extra settler AND move the settler to the new location to found the city. Saxony is the most remote province of all, it takes time for a settler to get there.

Furthermore, you don't know if you would have two good cities, I don't want people settling a city just for the sake of settling. Then you will lose more cities to Germany, which in itself isn't very good.

There is no reason to split Saxony, it would cause only problems.

I just remembered something
When you conquer a city the name changes. In case of Germany and Alexandria/Kairo/Jerusalem? etc. it doesn't (at least didn't in a previous version during a Crusade) it remained the Arab name.

My idea is that we'd have to adjust the citynamemaps to include these areas? or is that located somewhere else?
Northern Italy should probably also be included and France/Burgundy

If it's in the citynamemaps it could be 'added' along with the synchronisation.
and btw. any good ideas how to sync the name maps? (german/french etc.)
assuming only one only has one display/screen/monitor available :)

When you conquer a city the name changes. In case of Germany and Alexandria/Kairo/Jerusalem? etc. it doesn't (at least didn't in a previous version during a Crusade) it remained the Arab name.

IMO if any European civilization captures Jerusalem or any other city in the Middle East (including the Byzantine cities), they should be changed to their Latin names, as that is what they would have been called anyway. That is why its called the "Latin Kingdom of Constatinople" rather than the "French Kingdom of Constatinople", the same for the Crusaders.

My idea is that we'd have to adjust the citynamemaps to include these areas? or is that located somewhere else?
Northern Italy should probably also be included and France/Burgundy

If it's in the citynamemaps it could be 'added' along with the synchronisation.
and btw. any good ideas how to sync the name maps? (german/french etc.)
assuming only one only has one display/screen/monitor available :)

All of these are handled on the normal city name maps
You just have to add names to those tiles as well

IMO if any European civilization captures Jerusalem or any other city in the Middle East (including the Byzantine cities), they should be changed to their Latin names, as that is what they would have been called anyway. That is why its called the "Latin Kingdom of Constatinople" rather than the "French Kingdom of Constatinople", the same for the Crusaders.

I agree with you, especially if the Byzantine cities get greek names.
Middle Eastern cities should all get their latin names if conquered by a Europen civ

You just need to put labels on the spots for the cities. There is nothing special about Germany capturing Jerusalem vs Germany getting any random Polish city.

City maps should cover historical areas, like Venice vs Constantinople, but I don't see a point of renaming all cities in Eastern Anatolia with German names.

You can do that though, it would be more work for the one editing the map, but it will not be me, so I am totally fine with it. You just have to make sure the maps are aligned.

If all the European civs get the same name for all those spots, then it's really easy.
You just have to do the labels once, then copy-paste it

If all the European civs get the same name for all those spots, then it's really easy.
You just have to do the labels once, then copy-paste it

Labels in the WB files are not in a particular order, so you can make the labels on one file and then literally copy/paste them in the others (add them at the end after all the other labels). You will need to adjust the "num signs written" variable in "BeginMap", but that would be all.

Just to clarify, you are in charge of the map changes, right? I lost track of all of that and I am concentrating on other things. I can edit/adjust the Modding Tools if you want, but they should provide all that you need.

I was mainly thinking about 'crusade cities' or cities that were valuable
only a couple come directly to mind anyway..
Antioch, Jerusalem, Tripolis, Damaskus?
is tripolis = sour?
I don't think Alexandria was ever a target for crusaders?(guessing to heavily defended) but it's certainly a nice city to conquer ;)

so basically it would only be a handful of cities that get renamed if conquered by europeans, and only 1 name for all europeans civs is good too

I was mainly thinking about 'crusade cities' or cities that were valuable
only a couple come directly to mind anyway..
Antioch, Jerusalem, Tripolis, Damaskus?
is tripolis = sour?
I don't think Alexandria was ever a target for crusaders?(guessing to heavily defended) but it's certainly a nice city to conquer ;)

so basically it would only be a handful of cities that get renamed if conquered by europeans, and only 1 name for all europeans civs is good too

Sour is Tyre

Labels in the WB files are not in a particular order, so you can make the labels on one file and then literally copy/paste them in the others (add them at the end after all the other labels). You will need to adjust the "num signs written" variable in "BeginMap", but that would be all.

Yes, I'm aware of that

Just to clarify, you are in charge of the map changes, right? I lost track of all of that and I am concentrating on other things. I can edit/adjust the Modding Tools if you want, but they should provide all that you need.

Of course, I'm handling all the maps right now.
The tools are great, I can easily do everything I want/need
Will go on a vacation on the 12th of July, but we plan to release Beta 12 before that anyway :)

Of course, I'm handling all the maps right now.
The tools are great, I can easily do everything I want/need
Will go on a vacation on the 12th of July, but we plan to release Beta 12 before that anyway :)

I will be out of town next week. I will be back for the weekend, but then gone again the week after.

You can do the map (as you are doing now) and the minor nations should be easy enough to code. This leaves clearing the bugs and doing some testing before the release. I hope to get Beta 12 out next weekend (right before you leave).

I will be out of town next week. I will be back for the weekend, but then gone again the week after.

You can do the map (as you are doing now) and the minor nations should be easy enough to code. This leaves clearing the bugs and doing some testing before the release. I hope to get Beta 12 out next weekend (right before you leave).

Sounds good to me.
So everyone: Beta 12 will be released on the 10th of July

Top Bottom