Updating the Scenario League news page & sharing content in 2023

Blake00

CFC Mod Archivist & Social Media Helper
Supporter
Hey guys,

Been meaning to post this for a while but busy times!!! I've got a few ideas to support current day modders and get more content out there..

The Pitch:
Spoiler Click to expand :
Stage 1: COMPLETED
As we all know @McMonkey essentially retired from his SL work a number of years ago when his hard drive bit the bullet and he lost all his Civ2 projects, and unfortunately he was the main man for posting news on the SL front page here:
https://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

1672119718118.png

These news items usually pointed to forums threads here at CFC and allowed people to visit the authors threads and comment on their projects without having to search the forums for them. Since McMonkey went quiet there's been no news and I was thinking it would be great to get it going again and get it all up to date again as it only stopped not all that long ago. However I don't seem to be able to edit the news page so presumably it's SL wiki admin only. @Prof. Garfield is the last active wiki admin and so assuming Curt & Tech have no objections I think we need you to grant admin access to myself and/or @JPetroski so we can update the news page and get things all caught up again (maybe even add a few new scenario tribute pages there eventually too as while anyone can create a scenario page the main scenario A-Z list editing appears top be admin only too I think). Also not sure where all the news icons he used are stored on the wiki. Obviously I can view them separately via the news page, but I'm guessing there's some nice list page that McMonkey would browse to find the appropriate icon for whatever news item he was posting, not to mention adding news ones to the list too. Any ideas how I can find his resource Prof Garfield? I can ask McMonkey but his visits are 6-12mthly these days so it might be a while lol!

Stage 2:
Once we've got access the next thing is for me to work out just how much has been released over the last few years and build a submission list to put on the news page, this is where community help is needed. Things were pretty quiet on the SL news page even before McMonkey's final 2020 news posts too with no 2019 posts so maybe we should look at any releases not already listed from 2018 to now? Off the top of my head I don't see @Knighttime 's brilliant Medieval scenario there, @Dadais released his Elder Scrolls scenario v1 in feb 2022, then the bigger v2 in nov 2022, @gapetit has done the mother load of enhanced ToT overhauls of great old scenarios over the last few years before retiring, Nichael has done a few new ToTPP scenarios too, and while all my big projects are still yet to come out (but finally will in 2023 lol) I've also done a number of mini overhaul releases of other peoples classic scenarios over the last few years eg Civ1 mod, Warcraft, Starcraft, Terminator, & Martian Dawn, which may not be news worthy due to their small size but most are popular 'clickbaity' franchises that are probably good for luring people to the forums. I just remembered that cool Civ4 ToT mod, and the Game of Thrones MGE total conversion mod that quietly came out over the last few years too. We've obviously got a number of other up and coming projects from Patine, Curt & others that will make good future news items too.

Stage 3:
So then once we've worked out the news items list and updated the news page this list can also serve as a good source for something @JPetroski and I recently discussed which was him bringing back his old Civ2 news sharing duties on the big main CivFanatics home page news area. eg here's all the old examples of his that I could find (btw can see a few more projects here not on the SL news page):
https://www.civfanatics.com/2020/11...odpack-for-civ2-totpp-by-knighttime-released/
https://www.civfanatics.com/2020/02/11/napoleon-i-released-for-civ2-totpp/
https://www.civfanatics.com/2020/02/10/over-the-reich-released-for-civ2-totpp/
https://www.civfanatics.com/2020/01/19/burma-campaign-1942-1945-released-for-civ2-totpp/

Our completed SL news submission list would serve as a great source to make his job easier for create some new news posts. If the source list is too big then maybe a few combo/summary news posts spaced out over a few months about the goings on in the Civ2 community & SL listing the completed projects would surface. If circumstances don't work out and you don't think you'll have time to do it JP I can look at doing something in the future instead I guess, although I don't have access and usually pester @The_J about my news items lol!

Step 4:
The final stage is a job for me again in that these days I'm one of the CFC social media sharing guys, so it's my job to share Civ related news posts by The_J & others on the CFC main page out to the CFC FB & Reddit groups, so I could naturally do that with JP's newly created news posts too (also whenever The_J is busy gallivanting around Europe haha and it's a slow news week I usually pluck out an old news posts to share so I plan to share some of JP's old ones too btw). As part of my work I keep a big list of all the Civ social media groups out there across FB/Reddit/Discord which I often share our CFC social media posts out to putting a lot of extra eyeballs on them as some of these Civ groups contain tens of thousands of members. Obviously these days most will go "Civ2? pfft" and move along but there's probably 1 in every 100 who has fond nostalgic memories of Civ2 and mighrt wanna check some of the cool advanced level scenario & LUA work some of guys here are doing! I've already got this whole sharing system down pat as I've been creating ModDB dev diaries about my Civ2 projects and sharing them around social media for years now and getting really great interaction so the interest is out there, many just don't know about this community.

Summary:
So in summary we need access to the SL news page, I need to build a list (with help) of recent completed scenarios and mods that we can put on the news page, JP can then also use the list to do some nice main CFC news posts putting more eyes on our Civ2 forum, then finally I can share them to all the big super Civ communities out there getting even more eyes on them.

Oh and lastly I just noticed the SL link at the top of the SL forum is not working and is out of date, I don't seem to be able to fix it so I'll get the admins to fix that asap. Most people probably don't even notice that little link up there though so no biggy.

1672119209194.png

The List:

I'll stick the list here (ready for transfer to the wiki) as I build it based on my own findings and peoples feedback...

2023:
2022:
17th November 2022
- Dadais releases The Elder Scrolls: The Stormcloak Rebellion V2 for ToTPP and Lua
ICON NEEDED

12th March 2022 - JPetroski releases The Hinge of Fate for ToTPP and Lua

2021:
16th December 2021
- Re-release of Jarhead_leif 's The Empire Earth (Civ4) Mod for ToT
ICON NEEDED

26th October 2021 - Tehulotl releases LALANDE DELUXE for ToTPP
ICON NEEDED

16th August 2021 - Gapetit re-releases Carl Fritz's Dark Lord - The War of the Rings for ToT
ICON NEEDED

2020:
22nd November 2020
- Knighttime releases Medieval Millennium for ToTPP and Lua
ICON NEEDED

2019:
30th April 2019
- MattDempsey releases Civilization II: Game of Thrones Edition for MGE
ICON NEEDED

2018:
20th February 2018
- Skulb releases Star Trek 2018 for MGE

Last edited:
At this point I think it'd be a little crazy for me to go and make a video of each scenario/modpack released that I haven't done, but I do think I might take a stab at editing a short little "Civ2: The Year In Review" and see if I can make a montage or something fun. I was looking at the Wiki the other day and annoyed with myself for not putting Hinge of Fate up there but that's on me... It is a bit difficult to do and you have to remember how to do it each time you try. So much easier to just upload here!

At this point I think it'd be a little crazy for me to go and make a video of each scenario/modpack released that I haven't done
Only some of your old CFC news posts had a dedicated tour videos so yeah I certainly wasn't thinking that you should go make some for this stuff, don't worry haha. Trying to make videos for every friggin scenario that comes out is bridge too far for all of us I think lol! Hell making my giant Civ2 scenario tour video is whats taken up most of the last year and it's still not done yet! For this stuff I actually just meant nothing more than a short summary text post with a couple of pics and link list of the mods (taken from the list I'll make up in this thread). That'd be more than enough for a news post on the CFC front page. The_J usually keeps things pretty short and doesn't do giant posts so that's what people there are used to anyway.

It is a bit difficult to do and you have to remember how to do it each time you try. So much easier to just upload here!
And yes as for the old SL wiki, making full tribute pages on the site is something no one has done in a long time so that's why I just mentioned it in brackets as maybe being something I might have a go at one day, but this thread is purely talking about updating the SL wiki front news page which is much easier for us to do thankfully! McMonkey was mostly starting to just link news items to project threads on this forum anyway so we'd only be continuing what he was already doing.

Last edited:
@Prof. Garfield is the last active wiki admin and so assuming Curt & Tech have no objections I think we need you to grant admin access to myself and/or @JPetroski so we update the news page and get things all caught up again
Done for both of you.

Done for both of you.
Awesome! Sure enough I can now see an edit button on the news page and upon editing it there's nothing I can see there that I can't handle replicating so this is good. Thanks mate!

So now it's just up to me to build a list which I'll get to soon. If anyone knows of a release I haven't mentioned below, let me know! :)

Once we've got access the next thing is for me to work out just how much has been released over the last few years and build a submission list to put on the news page, this is where community help is needed. Things were pretty quiet on the SL news page even before McMonkey's final 2020 news posts too with no 2019 posts so maybe we should look at any releases not already listed from 2018 to now? Off the top of my head I don't see @Knighttime 's brilliant Medieval scenario there, @Dadais released his Elder Scrolls scenario v1 in feb 2022, then the bigger v2 in nov 2022, @gapetit has done the mother load of enhanced ToT overhauls of great old scenarios over the last few years before retiring, Nichael has done a few new ToTPP scenarios too, and while all my big projects are still yet to come out (but finally will in 2023 lol) I've also done a number of mini overhaul releases of other peoples classic scenarios over the last few years eg Civ1 mod, Warcraft, Starcraft, Terminator, & Martian Dawn, which may not be news worthy due to their small size but most are popular 'clickbaity' franchises that are probably good for luring people to the forums. I just remembered that cool Civ4 ToT mod, and the Game of Thrones MGE total conversion mod that quietly came out over the last few years too. We've obviously got a number of other up and coming projects from Patine, Curt & others that will make good future news items too.

EDIT: All posts after this point have been moved into this thread as the spinoff topic became worthy of it's own thread.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/removing-scenarios.681661/

Last edited:
Alright.. Stage 1 is sorted as Prof Garfield kindly granted the admin access, I can see how to edit the main news page now, I've found where McMonkey uploaded icons to, and I've worked out how to make my own transparent icons from unit sprites if needed. So now it's time for Stage 2 and working on a list of all the scenario releases missed over the last 5 years. This might take a while to find them all but progress is progress!

I'm writing them in the style/format that McMonkey used and at some point I'll allocate icons for them too. If creators want to nominate their favourite unit in their scenario that they're most proud of then let me know in replies either in wording or by pasting it here (later preferred) I can convert & upload it to the wiki, otherwise I'll choose one for you.

17th November 2022 - @Dadais releases The Elder Scrolls: The Stormcloak Rebellion V2 for ToTPP and Lua
ICON NEEDED

12th March 2022 - @JPetroski releases The Hinge of Fate for ToTPP and Lua

16th December 2021 - Re-release of @jarhead_leif 's The Empire Earth (Civ4) Mod for ToT
ICON NEEDED

26th October 2021 - @Tehulotl releases LALANDE DELUXE for ToTPP
ICON NEEDED

16th August 2021 - @gapetit re-releases Carl Fritz's Dark Lord - The War of the Rings for ToT
ICON NEEDED

22nd November 2020 - @Knighttime releases Medieval Millennium for ToTPP and Lua
ICON NEEDED

30th April 2019 - @MattDempsey releases Civilization II: Game of Thrones Edition for MGE
ICON NEEDED

20th February 2018 - @skulb releases Star Trek 2018 for MGE

Last edited:
Please don't bother to share this way the TES scenario v1.
Both share the totpp with lua use, and I believe the v2 makes the v1 irrelevant ?

Top Bottom