use of console

alangr

Chieftain
I am a newbie here but have been playing CIV for many years. I now want to explore the use of the cheats in CIV IV. I have set the cheat code to 'chipotle' and using the control, shift, etc. keys can see details of terrain, people.

What I cannot do is open the console. I try the tilde key ~ (with shift as it sits with the # key on my keyboard and also. having seen other posts the 'key top left from number 1'.

None of this opens the (python?) console. I am expecting a DOS-like bos with a cursor to appear and I may not be right about that!

I would appreciate any ideas on how to proceed here!

Thanks

alangr

I try the tilde key ~ (with shift as it sits with the # key on my keyboard and also. having seen other posts the 'key top left from number 1'.
What keyboard layout is that? Doesn't sound like QUERTY or QUERTZ. On my German keyboard, it's the ö key – for reasons that elude me; I found that out by trying every special key. You could switch your OS to the US keyboard layout, and, then, I think, the key left of number 1 should work. (Not a convenient solution.)

I'm attaching screenshots of the two consoles. One is the Python console (Shift+ö for me), the other the developer(?) console (just ö). I believe the latter is where cheat codes can be entered.

Attachments

• dev-console.jpg
    dev-console.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 82
  • py-console.jpg
    py-console.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 72
Thanks for your helpful comments.I am using a QWERTY keyboard and by trying the special codes with/without shift/control have managed to open a python console but that does not respond to any commands (all appear to be 'unexpected EOF when parsing' That was using the 'shift and @ key.

However, when I use the @ key only things are somewhat better and some cheat codes work - not all.

I will play around somewhat more but thanks for your comments.

I am using a QWERTY keyboard and by trying the special codes [...]
Ah, I see that UK keyboards are arranged as you describe. No idea why @ turned out to be the right key, but cool that you've found it. Some cheat commands are just a single key combo on the main screen, possibly to be pressed after selecting a city bar or unit with the mouse; no console involved then. The BUG mod doesn't have some of those combinations (namely Shift+T, Shift+Ctrl+W, Shift+], Shift+[, Shift+ F1 to F4), presumably due to an oversight.

It all seems to be a largely a case of try it and see if it works! While this is 'interesting' it does make the use complicated.

Still, I am only really trying to see what can be done rather than wanting to become a dedicated cheat user.

Thanks for your interest and comments.

Yep; that is the site that awoke my interest. I am getting to use it with some commands but the process is somewhat opaque, though it is more figuring out some things and not all!

Really a bit of fun on the side; a great game!

Top Bottom