v137.1 on Emperor

I'm worried that boosting every Great Person Tile Improvement every era would just exacerbate the problem of Science runaways. I do like Seek's "improve if worked" idea.

Just so we're all on the same page, Thal, is this accurate about yields for each GPTI (other than Great Generals/Citadels)?
  • 5 base
  • +3 with late Renaissance/early Industrial Tech
  • +2 with corresponding Social Policy
?

If the Custom House in particular is weak, I'd prefer to bump up the base yield to 7:c5gold: (even though base yields of 5 for each GPTI would be more elegant) and see how that works.

Here's a probably silly idea to make GPTIs more fun: have neighboring GPTIs boost each other's yields (e.g., a Customs House gives an extra +1:c5gold: to any Academy or Landmark next to it), with a max of 1 per yield, and only if they're of different types (no super-powerful Academy farms).

To clarify, when I say boost per-era I don't mean boost existing ones; I mean justify the building of new ones by boosting those. Customs Houses would need significant boosts across the board, of course, given their total lack of appeal.

Oh, I see... to mitigate the automatic settle early, burn late mechanic somewhat? That makes a lot more sense; I like it (and would simply replace the "+3 with tech" with it). :)

Oh, I see... to mitigate the automatic settle early, burn late mechanic somewhat? That makes a lot more sense; I like it (and would simply replace the "+3 with tech" with it). :)

I didn't get it either. Interesting! I'd think it would be fairly easy to balance that way too.

I like your idea for GPTI the adjacency boost too, but will the AI understand it?

I don't worry about most AI capabilities anymore. If something favors the human, I just increase AI bonuses slightly to compensate.

Doing that doesn't help some things, though, like the AI making poor promotion choices. It doesn't matter how many rough terrain promotions they have if they drop the unit on flat terrain. :lol: I've been thinking about reducing land promotions to 10% per level like I did for sea promotions. The downside is it would make unit placement less exciting...

Yeah, the AI seems to love its rough terrain promotions, no matter what. Makes it a no-brainer to go for open terrain promotions and stay away from hills, forest, and jungle.

In my experience the AI gives rough to melee and open to mounted and ranged - better that than the opposite!

Maybe I can find a hacky way to do it. I wonder if I give a promotion lots of effects that do nothing, I could trick the weighing algorithm into picking that promotion... :think:

The question is would they program the algorithm to recognize that a promotion giving +100000% :c5rangedstrength: doesn't actually help a warrior... and other stuff like that.

Just make sure it's only on melee units. :lol:

And since they apparently recognise giving different promotions to different classes (rough to melee, open to ranged) I have my doubts it would work, but, it's worth a shot!

Just a random thought on GP improvements, it would be nice if you could place those structures on areas you usually couldn't build on like mountains, oasis, etc...

Also you don't have to cut down forests/jungles when planting them and they don't have any penalties planting them too.

I tried making it so great improvements don't cut down forests/jungles, but it didn't work. I don't remember why. What do you mean by "penalties" for placing great improvements?

Thal, any official word on implementing Txurce's "increase new GPTI yields with each era" idea and/or buffing the Customs House?

Top Bottom