v137.1 on Emperor

2. I don't think the "default" setting is the reason the AI has 2-5X my poplation!

Bear in mind that "population" under the demographics and other screens is multiplicative (one 20 pop city has much more "population" than five 4 pop cities) - they certainly do not have 2-5x your :c5citizen:!

That's true, and to go along with your point, I look at the actual cities when I try to compare my civ head-to-head with the AI. Sometimes they have multiple 30+ cities, but often it's less. I've been using the "total" number along with beakers for comparison sake, but figured (as you're saying) that the correlation is not exact.

Getting back to the crazy gold the AI spends on CS: do you think it's due to the default setting (and other like causes) generating population and consequently gold, or something else?

If we think back to the crazy AI gpt of even pre-v131 VEM, I can see how funneling that gold into CS would give us the game-breaking situation we have now. Again, where did that gold come from? We assumed it was bonuses that multiplied. But now they have been largely reduced to zero.

@Bernd-das-Brot
Great Engineers/Scientists give a full wonder/tech until the midgame, after which it tapers off. Would you avoid using Great Engineers when some :c5production: would be wasted?

Getting back to the crazy gold the AI spends on CS: do you think it's due to the default setting (and other like causes) generating population and consequently gold, or something else?
This was due to bugs in the AI gold purchasing algorithm. Most of the attempts to spend on a priority failed in v141.1 and earlier -it almost always purchased from the citystate influence fall-back. The priority purchases appear to work now in v141.2. It also doesn't have a fallback anymore; instead, it retries with different priorities.

@Bernd-das-Brot
Great Engineers/Scientists give a full wonder/tech until the midgame, after which it tapers off. Would you avoid using Great Engineers when some :c5production: would be wasted?

No, because 1) I really want that Wonder, and 2) there aren't enough expensive Wonders I want later on. But you raise a good point about... opportunity costs? I blew a GS on Civil Service in order to promote two scouts and save myself from a joint Greco-Japanese invasion. Those were beakers well wasted!

This was due to bugs in the AI gold purchasing algorithm. Most of the attempts to spend on a priority failed in v141.1 and earlier -it almost always purchased from the citystate influence fall-back. The priority purchases appear to work now in v141.2. It also doesn't have a fallback anymore; instead, it retries with different priorities.

I've probably never played more 100-200 turn games than I have in the last ten days testing each mod version... but I am really looking forward to giving this one a whirl, and maybe, just maybe , getting back to fine-tuning.

The tile purchasing does seem exploitive right now.

@Bernd-das-Brot
Great Engineers/Scientists give a full wonder/tech until the midgame, after which it tapers off. Would you avoid using Great Engineers when some would be wasted?

GE should complete one Wonder. I think I did not say anything against this. :confused:

It seems unbalanced to me. 1 GE in Renaissance would bring about 600+ hammer, but one GS brings 2400+ beakers. (1 prod = 4 beakers??) Thats too much in comparison to GE and it makes settling GS no option, because you would need 500 rounds working(!) the academy tile (or 375 with nat. coll). Even with universeties it would be 250+ rounds. Settling in at least the first 150 rounds should always yield more than lightbulbing, because lightbulbing gives you a big advantage in the moment you use it, allowing new units/an earlier wonder build.

@Bernd-das-Brot: Thal was using an analogy by bringing up the Great Engineer. Anyway, the rate at which tech costs scale and the rate at which wonders scale are different - science scales much more quickly. For example, a modern-era tech costs around 20,000:c5science: while a modern-era wonder costs around 1,500:c5production:. I can see how a settled GS might need a buff, however (come to think of it, all Great Improvements could use a buff).

@Bernd-das-Brot: Thal was using an analogy by bringing up the Great Engineer. Anyway, the rate at which tech costs scale and the rate at which wonders scale are different - science scales much more quickly. For example, a modern-era tech costs around 20,000:c5science: while a modern-era wonder costs around 1,500:c5production:. I can see how a settled GS might need a buff, however (come to think of it, all Great Improvements could use a buff).

I'd buff them all by era, and make the Golden Age option longer. That's to help Artists, who I assume can't give us an SP. The GM's Custom House would seem to need the biggest boost - does anyone ever build one?

It seems unbalanced to me. 1 GE in Renaissance would bring about 600+ hammer, but one GS brings 2400+ beakers. (1 prod = 4 beakers??)
Getting a world wonder prevents anyone else from getting that wonder. Using a scientist does not block other players from doing stuff. If it was 1=1 then the great engineer would be more powerful than the great scientist.

That's to help Artists, who I assume can't give us an SP.

They can, I've just been putting it off because editing the user interface is unbelievably frustrating. I suspect Firaxis does it in a graphical environment, instead of the data values we see.

They can, I've just been putting it off because editing the user interface is unbelievably frustrating. I suspect Firaxis does it in a graphical environment, instead of the data values we see.

I just recently found Moriboe's Great Works mod, which does exactly that!:D You don't have to do the work, assuming Moriboe doesn't mind your incorporation of it here. I haven't yet tested it for balance (he defaults it at 350:c5culture: +50:c5culture:/era) but I am certainly going to give it a whirl in my next game. It has great flavor text as well.:)

I'd buff them all by era, and make the Golden Age option longer. That's to help Artists, who I assume can't give us an SP. The GM's Custom House would seem to need the biggest boost - does anyone ever build one?

Nope, never. The instant gold is just THAT GOOD.

What if Customs Houses (or all GP improvements?) behaved like Civ4 cottages, and grew in yield as they were worked? (Ie, start at 5:c5gold:, go up to 6 after 20 turns, 7 after 40, etc.) I think that would solve a lot of issues with GPIs and would be fun as well.

Oh duh, I remember someone pointing out that mod earlier. I think it was while I didn't have access to the game... :crazyeye:

The problem with intermittently timed effects is they add an extraordinary amount of between-turn lag. I have to store every timer every turn, instead of just when we save, because we don't have access to the game save code. This is why I try to use as few timers as possible. :undecide:

Oh duh, I remember someone pointing out that mod earlier. I think it was while I didn't have access to the game... :crazyeye:

The problem with timed effects is they add an extraordinary amount of between-turn lag. I have to store every timer every turn, instead of just when we save, because we don't have access to the game save code. I try to use as few timers as possible. :undecide:

What about a compromise where it updates the value on every 20th turn (such as 20, 40, 60, etc)?

@Thal - That's a shame.:( Is Txurce's idea feasible?

If something happens every 10 turns, this is what it looks like:

1. save timer = 1
  2. save timer = 2
  3. save timer = 3
  4. save timer = 4
  5. save timer = 5
  6. save timer = 6
  7. save timer = 7
  8. save timer = 8
  9. save timer = 9
  10. stuff happens
    save timer = 0
  11. save timer = 1
  12. save timer = 2
  13. save timer = 3
  14. ...
It adds similar lag regardless of frequency.

@Txurce
Something that happens every turn or every era doesn't require a timer. There's nothing to remember in the savegame. Timers are things like "once per 2 turns" or "once per 2 eras," since it has to remember how long it's been since the last event.

There's ways to reduce the number of save/load operations performed. I need to create a global "timer" that does all the save/load operations at once. It's possible, but will be complicated, so I've focused on other priorities for now.

Top Bottom