[v150] ressource requirements for units

Sanguinus

Chieftain
Hey,

some ressource requirements needed to build units are not obvious to me.
I don't know if these requirements are still needed in newer versions, so please tell me.

Submarine: none
Destroyer: none
Carrier: none =>
=> why no oil?
=> the size is comparable with that of the Battleship
Battleship: oil
Fighter: aluminium
Tank: oil

Mechanized Infantry: none
Bomber: aluminium
Nuclear Submarine: oil =>
=> why not uranium?
=> there is no combustion engine in nuclear submarines (as far as I know)
Mobile SAM: none

Helicopter Gunship: none =>
=> why no aluminium?
Rocket Artillery: oil =>
=> why not none?
=> the size is comparable with that of the Mobile SAM
Jet Fighter: aluminium
Modern Armor: oil
Stealth Bomber: aluminium
Missile Cruiser: oil
Atomic Bomb: uranium
Nuclear Missile: 2 uranium =>
=> why 2 uranium?
Giant Death Robot: uranium

Hey,

some ressource requirements needed to build units are not obvious to me.
I don't know if these requirements are still needed in newer versions, so please tell me.

Carrier: none =>
=> why no oil?
=> the size is comparable with that of the Battleship

Nuclear Submarine: oil =>
=> why not uranium?
=> there is no combustion engine in nuclear submarines (as far as I know)

Helicopter Gunship: none =>
=> why no aluminium?
Rocket Artillery: oil =>
=> why not none?
=> the size is comparable with that of the Mobile SAM
Nuclear Missile: 2 uranium =>
=> why 2 uranium?

* Presumably because carriers didn't require a resource in vanilla.
* Nuclear subs used to require uranium and *they were never built* because all other uses of uranium were so much better. This is a gameplay only change.
* Gunship again presumably because it doesn't require a resource in vanilla.
* Rocket artillery required a resource in vanilla, and as it was a ground unit it was changed to oil.
* Nukes are balanced against atomic bombs, power plants, and GDRs by requiring more uranium.

I say Carriers should require steel. Steel isn't needed later in the game but it would be good to limit the number of carriers. In real life most countries barely have one.

I say Carriers should require steel. Steel isn't needed later in the game but it would be good to limit the number of carriers. In real life most countries barely have one.

Do you mean iron? I don't think we're able to add new resources to the game.

The AI won't build carriers and I just don't see the human spamming them since there's a limit to the number of A/C you can field by the aluminum requirement there and you can't attack with carriers.

That's odd, I renamed "nuclear sub" to "missile sub" a few months back, but it's missing from the files now. This is very puzzling... a whole section of a file disappeared! I'm investigating it further now.... :think:

I decided to focus subs on oil for two reasons.

From a realistic perspective, most world events about nuclear energy involve 1) nuclear missiles or 2) civilian nuclear power plants. I haven't seen subs in the discussion or the Nimitz-class aircraft carriers (which also run on nuclear power). So in Civ terms... these units do run on uranium, just not enough to count as consuming an entire "uranium resource."

From a gameplay perspective, the deadliness of a nuclear submarine is very different from a nuclear bomb or missile. With the choice of using uranium on subs or nukes, I suspect everyone would use it on the nukes (I know I did). To make those equivalent the nuclear weapons would probably have to use 5-10 uranium.

I'll rename the unit to "Missile Sub," which should make more sense. I think that's what it was called in Civ 4.

Top Bottom